Some basic .308 recommends?

I bought the .308 Saiga, synthetic stock, no frills.

I don't intend to do much with it right now, but I would like to add a flash supressor and possibly a butt pad. It came with two eight-round mags I'm considering buying a 10, 15 and 20 to see how I like them, how adaptable they are. Specifically for each, what might some of you recommend.

I bought it to have a "battle rifle," one that is dependable and handles a commonly available ammo, not much more. I'll also practice with it at a range.

Understanding that, say, Federal or the like is a good source for clean .308 Winchester, I'm also interested in knowing the quality of some of the bulk--like the South African "battlepacks." Also want to know about Cabela's bulk reloads, manufactured I think by SureShot.

I'm not into "match" shooting. I want to be reasonably assured that when I shoot at something at around 100 yards, and if it's moving I can hit it and stop it more often than not.

Thanks for your input.

I bought the .308 Saiga, synthetic stock, no frills.

I don't intend to do much with it right now, but I would like to add a flash supressor and possibly a butt pad. It came with two eight-round mags I'm considering buying a 10, 15 and 20 to see how I like them, how adaptable they are. Specifically for each, what might some of you recommend.

I bought it to have a "battle rifle," one that is dependable and handles a commonly available ammo, not much more. I'll also practice with it at a range.

Understanding that, say, Federal or the like is a good source for clean .308 Winchester, I'm also interested in knowing the quality of some of the bulk--like the South African "battlepacks." Also want to know about Cabela's bulk reloads, manufactured I think by SureShot.

I'm not into "match" shooting. I want to be reasonably assured that when I shoot at something at around 100 yards, and if it's moving I can hit it and stop it more often than not.

Thanks for your input.

If you do put a flash or brake on, you then need to play the 10 or less game (922r), the rifle was not imported with this feature and can not be installed legally.....

Prvi is a excellent round for the rifle and is very clean......

All the ammo you listed is better than I run.. I shoot Indian and Pakistani ammo, wolf and brown bear are the good stuff for me.

Heck last time I was out shooting I was chewing through some NASTY china sports ammo.. Smelled like burning paint and poop.

But even with that crap I had the five inch gong spinning most of the time at 100 yards.

Depending on what position you shoot from the 20s can be annoying. My 10s are just a little longer then the factory 8s, and the 15s are about 1.5 inches longer (5.5 inch).

If you add higher capacity US made mags and/or a flash hided or any other muzzel device you would then need to add a bunch more US parts for it to be legal.

Some things you'd need to change for the 922r law

Stock

Grip

Handguard

Fire control group (3 parts)

Piston

Flash hider

Mag (3parts)

All have to be US and you need 10 parts minimum. So basically you're doing a full conversion.

Trust me, do the conversion it shoots and feels a 1000% better. The drop in trigger is like night and day compared to the factory one.

Check out the 308 section, read up on the 922 (not as complicated as it sound), check out the pics.

Enjoy your saiga. I have one and its great!

Definitely heed the advice on 922r. It's not only the legal issue; it's also much more user friendly in the long run.

Radway Green and SA are pretty good surplus rounds in my experience. The best groups I ever shot were with Prvi Partizan 168gr Match HP.

Thanks for the info, folks. Very helpful.

I didn't realize that a flash suppressor would run me afoul of 922r. Nor did I know that higher cap mags would put me there, too. Now I begin to understand why so many of you have converted to AK mags (I think).

Are 10-round mags legal or not?

And the eight-rounders are available (legally?) through who? Recommends?

Also reassuring to know that so many different makes of ammo work so reasonably well.

Yeah ten round mags are legal as is.. If you change one part out from the counted list (like that hand guard) you can use any US made magazine(assuming that you live in a non "Assault weapon ban" state).

Mags counts for three parts, and a stock saiga has 14 counted parts .

Makers of ten round mags are SGM and Csspecs (I'm csspecs).

Hmm. Interesting.

This is why the 8- and 10-rounders are so comparatively expensive, huh?

Well, having come of age during the time of the M-1, eight rounds was the standard. I could see getting by with a bagful of eight- or 10-rounders.

I mean, I'm not planning on vacationing in Lebanon or Mexico or someplace like that.

:)

I've read here, on this post and elsewhere, that the 20-rounders are problematic because of the shooting positions you therefore can't use. That makes sense. Is it essentially the same with the 15's?