Mossberg 500 Pistol Grip to SPX Upgrade Project

Maybe but I wouldn't want to bubba up a set of $200 ghost ring shot gun sights.

Don't you mean "Boba" up? :angel:

Those heat shield sights by ATI (I think) aren't all that great looking to me. I'm only basing that on aesthetics, having never shot with the system.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

After much consideration I decided to attach my front sight with a metal epoxy such as JB weld. I searched the net and the general consensus is that it works for this application. If the front sight does get knocked of it will not impact the use of the gun as much since we are talking about a shot gun, not a rifle or pistol.

For those that have doubts, here are the properties of the JB Weld Part number 8265

Tensile Strength: 3960psi

Adhesion: 1800psi

Flex Strength: 7320psi

Tensile Lap Shear: 1040psi

Shrinkage: 0.0%

Resistant to: 600° F

When you take into consideration that the bonded area is .825 square inches the risk of joint failure is very low. However, to add an extra measure of security and to aid in the alignment of the sight, I decided to drill a hole in the base of the sight that fit over the original sight bead on my Mossberg 500.

Here is how I performed that process:

* From the top, use a 11/64" bit to spot drill the bottom of the adjustment cup. This area is milled flat and spot drilling it centers the next bit perfectly.

* From the top, drill though the entire sight with a 3/32" bit

* From the bottom, drill through the base of the sight with a 1/8" bit

* From the bottom, use a 3/16" bit to counter bore the through hole until the sight fits over the sight bead.

LPAFSMount001.jpg

If the joint fails I will replace the sight bead with a 5-40 button head allen bolt.

The next step is to remove the finish where the LPA sight will be bonded to the barrel

Even though I will refinish the gun I want to remove the least amount of the factory finish. I mask the area with duct tape and bead blast the finish in the area that the sight will be bonded to.

I also bead blasted the front sight, the you can see a difference in the finish of the two sights, the

LPAFSMount002.jpg

Once it has been cleaned follow these steps to bond the sight to the barrel.

* Re-tape the barrel

* Apply an even coat of JB Weld to the underside of the sight

* Apply some JB Weld to the bead on the shot gun

* Set the Front sight and place and use a clear tape to secure it in a level position

* Wait about 1 hour (test the left over JB Weld for hardness) and remove the excess with a popsicle stick which should create a nice fillet at the base of the sight.

* Remove the tape and use your finger dipped in alcohol to smooth the fillet.

* Re-apply new clear tape to the sight, verify it is still level and re-secure the front sight

* Let it cure over night

LPAFSMount003.jpg

To Be Continued Tomorrow

Edited by Boba Debt

JB weld........really............. They should make it a felony to use JB Weld on guns. IIRC you did some solder work previously, why not now?

If you silver solder the sight you run the risk of de-soldering the Take Down Screw Base

Wilson Combat attaches the front sight on their Scatter Guns with Loctite Black Max and if you check the net you will see that the majority of the discussions about this claim that JB Weld works in this application.

You also have to consider that mine will have the added strength of the bead which will help with lateral forces

I have been a machinist/welder/mechanic for nearly 20 years, you will NEVER convince me that JB weld is ok.

However, this one looks much better than the last one.

Which last one?

Like I said in the build post, if it falls off I can clean off the JB Weld and use a 5-40 bolt in conjunction with JB weld to secure it.

It just doesn't make sense to pay someone $100-$200 to silver solder this sight on this gun.

I already have more in the sights and stock then I have in the gun.

Edited by Boba Debt

I have been a machinist/welder/mechanic for nearly 20 years, you will NEVER convince me that JB weld is ok.

However, this one looks much better than the last one.

Which last one?

Like I said in the build post, if it falls off I can clean off the JB Weld and use a 5-40 bolt in conjunction with JB weld to secure it.

It just doesn't make sence to pay someone $100-$200 to silver solder this sight in thid gun.

I already have more in the sights and stock then I have in the gun.

Last configuration with all the rails last one.

• 2 weeks later...

How about a detailed range report instead of JB Weld technological mumbo jumbo trying to convince everyone how great it is. Give the weapon to someone who uses them every day to test and let it get banged up a bit and see if it holds up. Come on man, range report, detailed how-to-tech besides gluing on sights, something. JB Weld really?

Wow well does the stock reduce recoil? I ask as I have the Spec Ops adjustable one which has two mechanisms to absorb the recoil instead of one like your folder.

Edited by MT Predator
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice riot or zombie gun.

I just bought the Mossberg 590AI Special Purpose although really expensive at over $700.00 it has everything I nees in a riot shotgun already built in with no modifications required.

I hope they atleast kissed you before you bought it.

I wanna know who gets 200 bucks to silver solder a job like that?

Seriously, one low temp silver solder "Kit" has lasted me 10 or more years, and you could do DOZENS of jobs like that, about a buck each in solder/flux material cost.

You could easily heat sink the rest of the barrel down lower, with a good tightly wrapped damp rag, and do the entire job in less than 10 minutes.

If I could get 25 bucks per gun, I would be a happy welder.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna know who gets 200 bucks to silver solder a job like that?

People that do this for a living

And I said $100 - $200

I couldn't find any local gun smith that would touch it.

When you add shipping both ways it gets expensive.

If you find someone that can do it cheap they normally are not an FFL so you have to add in transfer fees.

I ended up removing the Knoxx Stocks, I couldn't get them to fit in the short gun section of my safe and I wasn't about to give up 2 long gun slots for these.

I tested both of my 500s this weekend and there was no problems with the JB weld holding. I even shot 7 rounds of 00 buck, which I'll never shoot out of a pistol grip shotgun again

You really should reconfigure that safe. Changing/selling weapons because of your safe configuration is outside my realm of comprehension. < Trying to be nice here.......

• 2 months later...

You really should reconfigure that safe. Changing/selling weapons because of your safe configuration is outside my realm of comprehension. < Trying to be nice here.......

I'm sure that most of the stuff I do is outside of your realm of comprehension.

My safe kicks ass and it is set up really well. I built the entire interior and customized it for a particular set of guns.

I never thought I would own more then 14 rifles and shot guns but sometimes you just can't bear to sell something just because you bought something better. All I wanted was a folding stock for my 500s, that Knox stocks added too much length. I have since replaced them with ATI top folders which work well and do not add to the length.

Edited by Boba Debt