15 replies to this topic

#1 presto_z

presto_z

Breaking stuff since 1985

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Is it possible to run a Type 7 FFL from your home? This includes manufacturing NFA title II items other the Destructive Devices.. It wouldn't be a retail shop, but more of a place for transfers and small scale manufacturing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 S-12 Pauly

S-12 Pauly

There can only be one, "best"

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

Yes. You do need a good safe & the ATF have the right to inspect your shop though, so you may want to keep that in mind.

There's a lot of info out there on the subject.

ETA; also, lots of records that you must keep on hand.

Edited by Paulyski, 07 January 2011 - 01:22 AM.

Email: paulyski@gmail.com

Phone Number: (971) 209-2711

#3 beefcakeb0

beefcakeb0

Citizen

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

I thought the ATF was tightening down on home run ffl's other then the 03 type?

#4 presto_z

presto_z

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Paulski i already tried google, but thanks for the link anyways lol...I already know all the record keeping and paper work involved (i run a gun shop in Florida) i just cant seem to get a strait answer about a Type 7 FFL from your home from the ATF or other resources. My boss (ffl holder i work for) says you cannot have any ffl through your residential address, and i dont want to ask to many questions about obtaining a FFL to my boss since he could see me as future competition.

beefcake, i know they still issue FFLs to people who run the business out of their home if their county or municipality allows it.. But i think a type 7 and type 10 are different.. and thats why im posting it in the NFA section. Someone on here has most likely done it, or has tried..

#5 Shandlanos

Shandlanos

Guy who finally figured out how to change his title

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

I know of one in Nebraska who runs his business out his home address. He's made some pretty nifty NFA toys.
This would be my signature if I had anything important to say.

Bebo, ergo sum.

#6 HotGuns

HotGuns

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'm doing it.

I'm an 07/02. I have a shop behind my house that I work from.

I formed an LLC, and then got a state tax permit. When I got the visit from my IOI, there were no problems at all.

I live outside of any city limits, so business licenses or zoning laws or any of the other crap that comes from living in a city was not an issue.

I would say that to make things easier for both you and the IOI, if you formed an LLC and did what ever else you had to do, you could get the 07 with no problems.

#7 mutineer

mutineer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yes you can do it from a residental address. I did, keep in mind that ATF will check with any agency that covers zoning in your area to make sure that you are in compliance with all zoning laws.

#8 rockmup

rockmup

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

ATF doesnt care where you are. If you have your business Lic,and zoning issues worked out,have an EIN, County, City Lic all done before they get there. You should be golden.

Im a home based 07/C2 SOT and have zero issues at all. The writings on the wall though, its getting to be too much to do from here

#9 frick

frick

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Generally, as noted, if you have all the local paperwork to conduct business, you should be OK, now I have heard that some ATF people will bust your balls, asking about alarm systems, etc, things that they would like to see you have, but aren't required by law.

Meaning, YOU have to know the laws in advance, that cover your operations, in the event they don't.

Sound silly, the last inspection I had, the agent wanted to know how I sold firearms over the internet.

I was speechless, I asked her if she ever heard of sites like auction arms or gun broker, she claimed to not know about them, so I actually had to open a browser, and show here where all these "people" bought and sold guns using the internet.

I think she was trying to force an issue about actually "Being in the business of buying and selling firearms" which was a clause used to get rid of a bunch of regular FFL's during the Clinton years.

While nowhere can you find a fixed number of firearms that must be sold, bought, or traded per year, the ATF drew arbitrary guidelines, and refused renewals based upon low volume.

And, then went after a whole bunch of ex dealers, and non dealers for conducting business without a license using the same logic in reverse.

You gotta know the questions in advance, to stop the process from being derailed at the lowest levels, IE, the onsite inspection, if they bump question up to their superiors, its only going to mean delays, and a chance for some other beaureaucrat to deny you a legal right to pursue a business.
"I love to argue, and I love to point out the weakenesses of the opposing arguments.."

"Anyway, thats my view, and it just happens to be correct.."

Above quotes from Supreme Court Justice Anton Scalia during a "60 Minutes" interview, 9-14-08.

"You know, you really ARE an asshole", background singer, to Dennis Leary, from "Asshole", the song.

#10 presto_z

presto_z

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

Im currently battling with my local zoning officials. They say that no retail sales can happen from a residential house, and the way the atf classifies an ffl it is "retail". My zoning officials state that "A retail business cannot be ran from a house because it will increase traffic in that area".. So i did a little research and found the specific code that they reference. I forget the exact wording but it states that "there can be no more then 12 extra cars on your street per day and no more then 4 cars (not registered to that property) on the property at once"

The state of florida also has a law that a business can not be denied on the fact that there will be firearm sales... SO... if the old lady nextdoor to me can sell makeup and tupperware then i should be allowed to sell firearms.

Surprisingly the ATF portion is not the issue, its the local assholes..

As soon as i get the go ahead from the locals (in writing) i will form my LLC and get my EIN. I know of a local FFL, he got permission from the county since he claimed to be a "wholesaler" and wouldn't have customers coming to his house. I may go that route if all else fails

#11 Thumbhole

Thumbhole

Weapons Grade Stupid

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Keep in mind that you may have to pay ITAR . I have heard conflicting opinions about the issue.
The preceding post is a work of fiction.

#12 presto_z

presto_z

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Looks like after lots of research, constant persistence, and standing my ground on a few zoning issues that i proved to be in compliance with (even though they stated otherwise) i am on the road to becoming a type 07 ffl from my home.

Tomorrow i apply for my LLC, then i can establish my EIN, and home occupational license. After that i can apply for my FFL lol

The home occupation license and building tax receipt have portions for Zoning sign-off, that states that what you are doing is an allowed use in that zoning district, so it should suffice for ATF.

wish me luck

#13 presto_z

presto_z

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

does anyone know of a good forum for FFLs, especially one for type 07/10 ffls? there are a few topics that shouldn't be discussed in a public forum. If no such forum exists then one should be formed and made private for FFL 07/10 holder eyes only.

#14 HotGuns

HotGuns

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:12 PM

Here ya go. Its a relativley new forum but it has good info. The only thing is, you must have an FFL to become part of it.

http://www.fflonly.c...5b5a7a72dcaaddb

#15 presto_z

presto_z

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

just what i was looking for. I will be joining as soon as everything is finalized

#16 TO THE FLOOR

TO THE FLOOR

Ambassador of Confusion

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:42 AM

You may try http://www.subguns.com/ A lot of information over there.

edited for a clickable link

Edited by TO THE FLOOR, 23 February 2011 - 09:52 AM.

"Democracy is two wolfs and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users