Texas Weapon Systems Gen 2 Rail Review

Long time reader here but not much of a poster. I was a beta tester for the TWS gen 2 rail that came out recently. I put it on a 74 from Lancaster Arms also using a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot. Installation was extremely easy and once installed there was zero movement in the dustcover/rail. The only problem I had was that my safety lever could not lock out at the top (first pic) and there was not enough clearance for the charging handle to cycle. I ground off 2mm from the dustcover right above the safety and it then functioned beautifully. post-12026-0-60640500-1294421711_thumb.jpg

After sighting the red dot and iron sights in, I would shoot 3 shot groups. After each 3 shot group I would lift the cover, shake it/abuse it, slam the cover back into place and continue firing. I repeated this process about 20 times in one sitting. There was never a shift in the point of impact. It retained zero perfectly. So far I have fired 180 rounds through my rifle with the gen 2 rail and there has been no issues besides the first fitting problems. TWS has identified the fitting problem where it would not allow the safety to lock out and if you care to see some of the minor issues that other beta testers have had then visit the forums at ar15.com The rear peep sight that came with the rail is great. It is a big improvement over the stock AK rear sight in my opinion. It also allows a lower 1/3 cowitness with the Bushnell. Overall, TWS has made an amazing piece of gear and I highly recommend it. post-12026-0-29790500-1294422114_thumb.jpgpost-12026-0-34683300-1294422166_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm kinda new to this but what is the point of the rear sight? It looks like it would just get in the way of viewing the red dot. It's not like there is a quick disconnect to remove the scope and use the irons. Does this require removal of the factory rear sight?

I'm kinda new to this but what is the point of the rear sight? It looks like it would just get in the way of viewing the red dot. It's not like there is a quick disconnect to remove the scope and use the irons. Does this require removal of the factory rear sight?

Most Micro sights will allow use of the sight without needing to be removed (co-witnessing).

Most Micro sights will allow use of the sight without needing to be removed (co-witnessing).

Ok...so you just use the micro sight through the scope if the scope fails? Or are you actually using the micro sight in conjunction with the red dot?

Ok...so you just use the micro sight through the scope if the scope fails? Or are you actually using the micro sight in conjunction with the red dot?

The former. Although, in the unlikely event of my dot failing, my head is positioned such that the transition would be completely seamless. Usually the dot is sitting right on top of the post. If I want to shoot with irons, I simple shut the dot off or turn down the intensity.

Jim- No stiffness at all for me when I work the bolt, feels just like it did before with the original dust cover. I have the peep sight up there because it gives me about the same size sight picture as I get when I use the small aperture on an AR. I find having the rear sight at the very back makes the aperture appear too large.

BrntWS6-This new rail does require the removal of the stock AK rear sights. Very simple operation though.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Any word if the current production models have fixed the interference with the safety issue?

Hopefully they will work the kinks out of the rail soon. I've decided to buy one for my wife's rifle if they get it right. This thing has weight and balance advantages over any other current mount.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • 2 weeks later...