Suggestions for Compact 1 - 4X Optic

Ok... I know this is for "Saiga/AK Optics", but I'm actually looking for some suggestions on a decent variable power optic for my AR-15. I'm in the market for a 1-4X setup in the $200 to $300 price range.

I've been looking around a little but haven't had much luck. I'm actually wanting to find something that isn't as bulky as a standard scope... for example, not a foot long and a little more durable than a hunting scope. I'd like to have room for my BUIS.

I don't really want to go with a red-dot optic.. but I want the 1x to have the versatility to do some close up work, and I'd like some magnification for some longer 100 to 200 yard shooting as well.

I've been looking at some of the offerings by Millet, but they seem to take up a little more space than I'm looking for.

Just curious as to what king of ideas you guys have or maybe some setups you're running and how you like them. I figure a lot of you scope your .308's and would have a similar idea on keeping your optic selection compact as well. I'm currently using irons for the most part, and have an old, crappy NC star scope I use from time to time, but I'd really like something a little better than that.

I have a Konus M30 1-4 scope I picked up on sail a while back for 160 bucks. Its not light, and is on the bigger side. But I love its glass. And it does not have some sort of silly combat crazy writing all over the crosshairs. My konus sort of found a home on my saiga .223. That wasent the plan but thats what happened. I love the reticule, simple easy 30/30 croshairs with an itty bitty 1moa dot in the middle. Choices of blue or red for the dot. I mean all these optics now with bullet drop crap and ranging ticks on the glass. In my case 5.56 shoots pretty much flat out to 300 meters and at 400 it about 10inches low. After that why am i shooting anyways? It a freak 5.56 round and at the range it might as well be a .22 long rifle. But I do love my konus m30, but there are many scopes out there now that do the same thing but all seem to be around same wieght and size.

Your price range a millet. I am Savin up for a vortex 1-4 viper pst- looks sweet and have a huge customer service/ following. But I always heard millet was good

Really dont mean to sound like an ass hat here but I didnt know vortex even had a 1-4 scope. Looked really sweet until I saw its way way way to complex "TMCQ" (whatever that is) reticle. Under stress your probably gonna end up aiming off one of the many bits of crap and wonder why your shot is 8 feet off.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a millett DMS-1 for a long time running on my RRA entry AR15. Wonderful optic, gets the job done but is still a case of getting what you pay for. (In this case the compromise is size and weight)

I think it's a little better than most things in its price range. I've managed to shoot 1-2" groups with it on my AR15 repeatedly at 100 yards, and that was my first time sighting in optics and shooting for accuracy at 100 yards, not to mention that was my first real rifle. Very happy with it, but it may be switching rifles because I like it so much I'd rather have it on my MSAR.

I ran it on my saiga 12 at one point for about a year (I had it dressed out like an SVD, was actually pretty fun back then), so it's certainly tough enough to handle 3" magnum recoil without breaking a sweat. (Make fun all you want, I prefer a 1x optic to an aimpoint.) The only downside is that it is a bulky heavy scope and at the very very edges of the sight picture there's a tad bit of blurring but that blurring is so minimal I'm just being anal about it.

IMO, the reticle on the DMS-1 is something I wish just about every optic had. Very fast with the big ring and bars, and very precise with the 1 MOA center dot. With a little time it allows you to make pretty good range estimations, and the design of the reticle lends its self well for bullet drop compensation. I wish they offered a non-illuminated model with a shorter eye piece and a lot less weight, that'd be by far the best budget optic on the face of the planet.

Burris came out with a 1-4x fullfield tactical recently that I'd give my right arm for to try it out. It's not much more expensive than the millett either.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a Sightmark 1.5-5x30 with first focal plane Mildot reticle for my .300 Whisper and I am really, really happy with it for $130. It has a huge field of view, very clear glass for the money and tons of adjustment in the target turrets for BDC which is essential with the drop I get with the Whisper.

It is thick (30mm tube) and heavy (both stout and sturdy), but compact enough for BUIS with a riser mount (I would go at least .75" above the rail if not closer to 1" depending on the sights you plan to put under it). Eye relief is about 3.75-4.25 depending on power so a PEPR type mount works great.

Pic below is not mine, but shows scale on an AR:

post-4669-0-05333100-1299094036_thumb.jpg

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • 2 years later...

Your price range a millet. I am Savin up for a vortex 1-4 viper pst- looks sweet and have a huge customer service/ following. But I always heard millet was good

Really dont mean to sound like an ass hat here but I didnt know vortex even had a 1-4 scope. Looked really sweet until I saw its way way way to complex "TMCQ" (whatever that is) reticle. Under stress your probably gonna end up aiming off one of the many bits of crap and wonder why your shot is 8 feet off.

Curious what part of this reticle somebody might mistakenly use instead of the center dot? To me it seems the 4 segments pull the eye instantly to the center.

post-4831-0-49467300-1362879972.jpg

Perhaps you saw this and thought all of it was actually part of the reticle...

post-4831-0-46433500-1362880257.jpg

I am looking at this scope for my soon-to-be Tavor. The reviews on it are very positive.

I just recently mounted a Nikon M223 on my AR. I like it, it has a nice, clear view and the variable magnification works well. I have the fixed front sight on my rifle and the removable carrying handle. With the M223 mount, it practically co-witnesses. ;)

The front sight is visible with no mag., but even with just 1 1/2 mag. it focuses past the front sight, so it's not an issue.

The only drawback is that the adjustment knobs don't lock down, so they could possibly get knocked out of adjustment.

Edited by Ronin38

^man if only those werent bdc for 5.56...and if they were daylight bright illuminated ... so far the only two options ive found thatll come close for my x39 are the vortex and the swfa. Since almost no one makes a bdc for x39 and the reticle isnt daylight bright. I figure ill stick w mils or moa and learn my own holdovers. :/

• 1 month later...

POSP 4X24 dont look any furtherbig_smile.gif

http://russianoptics.net/simonov.html

I have one from PSL on my Saiga x39 ,excellent scope for AKs

IMG_0959.jpg

if you decide to go with it make sure its AK type basebig_smile.gif

shop around you can get one for 150-180$

Disregard, I just saw AR and yes this is a Saiga optics forum smile.png

Edited by atakacorp
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...