Operation "ban high capacity magazines" has begun.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/10/5805421-rep-mccarthy-seeks-to-ban-high-capacity-ammo-magazines

Forgive me if you all think is belongs in the political thread. Feel free to move it if it needs to be there.

But I felt this concerns the entire gun community and I know some folks stay away from political section. I think this is one subject we can all agree to discuss openly.

The works are already(2...3 days after the Arizona shooting.) in progress to ban high capacity magazines again.

This is really ban news for all of us.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/10/5805421-rep-mccarthy-seeks-to-ban-high-capacity-ammo-magazines

Forgive me if you all think is belongs in the political thread. Feel free to move it if it needs to be there.

But I felt this concerns the entire gun community and I know some folks stay away from political section. I think this is one subject we can all agree to discuss openly.

The works are already(2...3 days after the Arizona shooting.) in progress to ban high capacity magazines again.

This is really ban news for all of us.

This will not go anywhere in a Republican House of Representatives. However, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if SOME kind of freedom-diminishing legislation comes out of this, in which Repubs endeavor to appear "reasonable".

Edited by Jim Digriz

Eeeh...nothing new they were banned up until 2004...this is just another knee jerk reaction and bad press forcing the sheep to react like with sending troops to Iraq to find WMD how did that turn out again...oh yeah just another bad idea by our government. Logically it makes no sense to outlaw the magazines, but I guess our country needs reaction now because our adhd society is ready to move on already to the next disaster or whatever the news props up.

While legislation IS being tinkered with and introduced, the best thing we as gun owners can do is remain calm, remain rational, don't listen to conspiracy theories, keep an eye on this, and see if it has any traction.

Oh, and don't start a run and national shortage of 33rd Glock magazines :lolol:

Keep in mind that the people promoting this legislation are no-one new - Lautenberg and McCarthy have been pushing gun control for 2-3 decades now. I doubt they will get any traction with this bill, not in a Republican controlled house and a Senate that can still be deadlocked. These are two senators who have built their entire careers on gun control, and they are, more than anything, just pandering to their constituents back home in NJ and NY.

• Like 11

is it that hard for them to understand that criminals dont care what the laws say, so no amount of laws are going to stop them

/Truth

Now, lets turn this the other way around and give all the people that got shot glocks w/ 33rd round magazines. I bet no one would of died that day except the one who should have.

I bet there was a lot of people in the 90s saying "dont worry" and "they wont be able to do it" when clinton was working on his ban.

Im sorry but I cant help but worry about this. It will suck. And I am pretty worried that they will pass some thing.

• Like 1

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords herself owns a Glock. Too bad one of her Aides or constituents in attendance didn't. She's one of the good ones. I can tell you that there's just a feeling of anger and sickness that's come over all of us here in Tucson. I'm a few blocks from University Medical Center where most of the victims and the Congresswoman were taken. Obama will be here on Wednesday for a huge memorial at the U of A. If he's going to comment on the mag issue it'll probably be from here but I seriously doubt he will. I'm ashamed that here in a state with both CCW and open carry that no one took the lunatic out.

• Like 1

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords herself owns a Glock. Too bad one of her Aides or constituents in attendance didn't. She's one of the good ones. I can tell you that there's just a feeling of anger and sickness that's come over all of us here in Tucson. I'm a few blocks from University Medical Center where most of the victims and the Congresswoman were taken. Obama will be here on Wednesday for a huge memorial at the U of A. If he's going to comment on the mag issue it'll probably be from here but I seriously doubt he will. I'm ashamed that here in a state with both CCW and open carry that no one took the lunatic out.

Obama is responsible for this along with his Jewish hating friend Jeremiah Wright. Since Mrs. Giffords is Jewish and Jared Loughner is a big fan of Hitler, the behavior from Obama is just tragic to me. I find it amusing that the bed wetters on the left are trying to blame Tea Party for this. Remember the Tea Party was formed because of the communist in the White House and his actions. This is just another attempt by Obama to walk into the limelight in Arizona like his buddy Sheila Jackson Lee so loves to do. The bashing from the communists on the left continues to make the political divide worse hoping for a mass internal conflict among the American people.

Obama just need to go golfing,

Yakdung

You realize this all harkens back to "It's Bush's fault"? It's not Obama's fault for creating a culture of hatred and disenfranchisement in the US so bad that there are attempted assassinations of US officials over their lack of control over the government. It's all Bush's fault for letting the Clinton ban (Oh he was a good president riiiight?) expire.

Fucking gun Nazi's are idiots. Yes, the public already feels like their rights have been infringed significantly, so lets take away even more of their rights! That'll go over well :/

• Like 1

It turns out that the extra long magazines were a key factor in Loughner being disarmed:

"Pima County Sheriff's officials say that when the shooting started, Maisch ran up to the suspect, Jared Lee Loughner, and grabbed the empty extended magazine from his 9mm Glock pistol. As he was loading a second 31-round magazine, she grabbed that - forcing him to load a third magazine, which jammed while he was loading it."

http://www.kvoa.com/news/sheriffs-identify-the-3-people-who-disarmed-subdued-shooting-suspect/

I'm ashamed that here in a state with both CCW and open carry that no one took the lunatic out.

Shoot in a crowded area?

at someone gunning down as many as he could, HELL YES SHOOT HIM.

I have to agree. While not typically a wise decision to shoot in a crowd.

If there is a gunman wildly blasting everyone he can in a crowd. The possibility of an accident from exercising the right to take him down is far less than the carnage said gunman would surely do. If this man had been able to reload he surely would have continued.

Make sure you have a clear shot, make sure you shoot center mass. Gunman stopped.

• Like 1

There is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't know if you've heard the story of Joe Zamudio but he was only a few seconds late in doing just that. He arrived on the scene, safety off, and hand on his gun, yet still concealed, just seconds after the gunman was tackled. He showed amazing restraint in not targeting the the wrong guy who now had the gun. He made every right decision in a matter of seconds when so many things could have gone wrong.

Tin foil hat time.

Why do they always seem to have 3 names (first, middle, last)

Please, do explain.

Assassins, or those who kill political, religious, famous people seem to always have 3 names (seems that way)

Caesar - Marcus Julius Brutus

Lincoln- John Wilkes Both

MLK - James Earl Ray

John Lennon - Mark David Chapman

Kennedy - Lee Harvey Oswald

Garfield (20th presedent) - Charles J Guiteau

And now this guy. This is just one of those conspiracy theories. That's why I said "tinfoil hat time". Ofcource there have been plenty of assassins with only 2 names ...Gabril Princip!

Even the guy in the movie shooter was named Bob Lee Swagger.