Given that 9mm wasn't even able to drop a 130lb woman with a headshot....

You might want to consider something a bit more effective. Maybe a .40sw or .45acp.

HOLY FUCK.....Your not serious are you.....Please tell me your kidding

I'm pretty sure Arik made the point well enough.....but seriously though?!

I'm an advocate for larger calibers for my own reasons, but I have seen many a chalk mark left on the sidewalk from 9mm and smaller.

Back to the OPs question. I'm a Glock guy so I'd go with baby a Glock or even the Glock 36 (single stack), I've never really entered the realm of pocket pistols other then derringers. A revolver might not be a bad idea to look in to as a back up.

Carried everything at one point in time or another, and finally arrived at the Walther PPS in .40 S&W...

Yes, after checking out Joes I got one as well. Great gun.

Add an NAA Guardian in .32NAA and you are GTG.

My next CCW purchase will be a Kahr CW9...the PM9 is ever smaller though (Guess that depends on your hand size).

I carry a Kahr CW9 on a vest holster everyday at work and my wife carries the PM9 as her backup. They are a bit pricey, but you get a very nice quality handgun. Neither of them have ever had any feed/function issues. You won't be disappointed if you choose either one of them.

I heartily Plus One the Kahr CW9/P9. I bought the P9 because it has nicer parts and I'm gonna keep this gun for probably 2 decades to life. Here's a review I did, along with how impressed I am with the whole package, and how I really don't recommend the PF9:

http://zombiehunters...3&hilit=Kahr+P9

Will you post the entire review as I can not get to the ZH site while at work.

Thanks,

MCASSgt New River

Here ya go from: zombiehunters.org

WHY A KAHR P9?:

Pursuant to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63315 I felt like I wanted to get a gun that was small enough to conceal (with a little work), big enough to train and fight with, and in a caliber that might actually do something when using the right hollowpoint round. I'd shot a P9 before and thought this'd be a good place to start.

I wanted to get a Kel-Tec PF9, but after handling and messing with one at the Father's Day gun show, I decided it was too small, I didn't know where to put my hands, the trigger sucked, and even the mag-extension couldn't contain my pinky. My fingers were totally bunched-up and uncomfortable. Furthermore, I'm used to guns that cycle a loaded mag by thumbing the slide release (which the Kahr does) rather than racking the open slide rearward (like the Kel-Tec, and not recommended on the Kahr).

A shame, really, because the Kel-Tecs started at 250 bucks and never got above about 270, even for the Parkerized versions. I might get one in the future when I am able to crap gold bricks and purchase all other preps for my family before then.

WHY A P9 AND NOT A CW9?:

Personal choice. I decided that I was picking out the carry/lifesaver/go-to/"I'm never gonna sell it" gun for me. I liked the machined slide stop over the cast one, even though it's not been proven to be stronger or better. I liked the polygonal rifled barrel, even though it's not been proven to be significantly more accurate than the CW9s conventional rifled barrel. I also liked the machining on the slide, as I felt it was prettier and more complete, and I liked the extra mag, because I'm gonna get several more mags anyway.

I hated that I was spending over a hundred bucks more for the pistol, but realized that over the next 20 years, I'd regret not doing it. Buy once, cry once.

WHY NOT A PM9?:

I hate shooting guns that I can't place a 5th digit on. They're noticeably harder to control for me. Also, I wanted the extra 0.6" barrel length. Why? Because I think it will impart a magical additional velocity to the bullet that will save that busload of nuns and orphans that were taken hostage when I am their only hope! icon_razz.gif Also, sight radius and one extra round in the mag.

CONCEALING:

I tried some cheapie holsters. The Uncle Mike's IWB holster was okay I guess. The Blackhawk size 2 pocket holster was serviceable, but too small, and left the trigger exposed. The Blackhawk Size 4 Pocket Holster fits nicely, covers the trigger, and conceals in most of the cargo shorts that I'm known to wear when not at work (I can't carry at all at work). I think I overpaid for it at 14 dollars.

It prints, but not like a gun. Just like something big in your pocket. Cops might notice. Other CCW-ers might notice. No one else will notice, including my wife, father-in-law, babysitter, her kids, etc. Also, I already know how to reach into a pocket (albeit not quickly at this point). The skillset is easier than drawing from the hip for me.

I'll be developing this in the future. I don't have a CHL, and have not (obviously) carried it anywhere public (illegal).

RANGE TIME:

IN SHORT: Everything I expected.

HANDLING: I still have a bit of a problem as to where to put my right thumb, but never managed to get slide bite or induce a malfunction when it was resting on the slide stop button. Mag changes were a breeze, and recoil was just enough that I felt I could go all day without wrist pain. It pointed naturally, and the rest of my fingers (using a Weaver stance) easily developed a pattern where they would grip the pistol naturally. I have pretty large hands, but am not a freak.

Racking the slide back on an inserted mag (not recommended) caused a failure to feed. Racking it harder cured the problem. Depressing the slide stop was easy and worked every time, as advertised.

AMMO: 100-150 rounds and no FTF, FTE, or other. Hornady TAP 147 grain rounds had a little extra recoil. Hornady Critical Defense 115 grain rounds shot like my 16-year-old gun show cheapie reloads that I bought when I was in high school and found when my parents moved recently. Remington Golden Sabre 124gr +P loads shot the same as well, and I couldn't tell the difference when I loaded a few into the gun randomly along with my old reloads.

I shot 10-rounds or less of each type of my defensive ammo. Nothing hiccuped, and I ain't made of money, so I stopped there.

ACCURACY: Damn. I was able to shoot 3 inch groups, without really trying that hard, on a sandbag, at 45 feet, using that old ammo. It was as accurate as my Beretta 92FS, and more accurate than we could shoot my Father-in-law's Glock 17 with the same ammo. That'll freakin' do for me.

OVERALL:

It's a very nice gun. Well made, and well machined. You get what you pay for. Is it better than Kahr's CW line practically? No, probably not. I'm very happy so far. Now I go onwards and upwards to being a CCW-er with this gun.

Yakdung

I had a kahr K-40, its a nice thin, concealable gun, alittle heavy as it was all steel but very nice. I sold it though b/c i couldnt get past the extremely long trigger travel or take up. it was smooth and broke clean i just dont like having to pull the trigger so far befor it goes bang!

currently carry a full size xdm .40 but im saving up for this

http://www.the-m-fac...y_external.html#

Edited by big-J

Given that 9mm wasn't even able to drop a 130lb woman with a headshot....

You might want to consider something a bit more effective. Maybe a .40sw or .45acp.

Honestly, that was one of those freak headshots where someone survived. The shooter in AZ did manage to kill some with a 9mm and had that 130 lb woman been a threat, it would have stopped that threat. There are documented cases of GIs surviving 7.62 x 39 headshots as well. Personally, I am equally confident carrying my 9mm as I am carrying my .40 or .45. I suggest the OP find a range with rental weapons and try out some if he isn't sure what to buy.

The Maks are nice CCW guns. They're like AKs of the pistol world.

POSSETIVE

Thin

all steel

accurate

simple

Ammo more or less cheap

Lots of companies make a holster for them

Extremely simple to take apart and clean

mags are easily found online

Barrel swap for a 380

NEGETIVE

Heavier then most sub compacts

iron sights no white dots or lines

No "drop free" mags. If this matters to you

limited in self def ammo. Hornady makes a JHP but thats about it

NEUTRAL

9x18 is somewhere in between a 380 and a 9mm. Probably closer to the 380 side. so if you want more performance out of your ammo or you dont like the 380 or think 380 is too weak I'd stick with the 9mm

Having said that I had 2 of them. Russian and Bulgy. I liked the Bulgy more due to it having the original rear sights and not that cut out crap that was installed on the Russian. Both were very accurate, never any problems. Regret selling them.

If you dont have a problem with Sig 230, Walther PPK, Bersa Thunder 380 then you'd like this gun.

Also check out the Polish P64. Its a copy of the PPK but in a 9x18. All steel, small, compact package. I used to just throw it into my jacket pocket and carry it that way. They have a heavy double action pull that kinda acts like a safety. You wont accidentally shoot it in DA. SA is very light. Wolff sells springs for them to lighten the DA pull. Their sights are like the Ruger LCP or Keltec 380.

Polish Wanads are Makarov size.

Having had all but the Wanad at one point or another if I were to ccw a 9x18 again it would be the CZ82. About the same price as the Maks. Smooth DA and SA, 12 round mags. Overall IMO you get the most bang for you buck with the CZ82.

Edited by Arik
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks for all of the info I went to the gunshow today and found a glock 23 for 475$ I found only 5 karhs I did like the feel of them but most where 45 or a 380 but I was looking for 9mm or 40s&w so I found a good deal and liked the fit of the glock

• 4 weeks later...

Well I was realy liking the kahr and did not find a big selection at the last gun show and picked up a glock 23. But I still was looking for a kahr and I found one a cw9 for 369.00 with free shipping. Seemed like a pretty good deal being I found a gun dealer near me that carries them and got to handle one realy like it. They where asking 465.00 for it so as soon as I had seen this deal I picked it up. it's a great feeling gun and very light and easy to handle and hide had it on all day and don't even notice it being there. But not getting rid of that glock any time soon first glock and now I'm addicted thanks for evey ones input again .

I carry a Kahr CW9 during the summer and a XDM9 during the winter. However the CW9 is so slim/small/lightweight that I think I'm just going to carry it year round now. Out of all the variety of pistols in various calibers I own that are carry worthy (S&W 1911, XDM, G19, Colt mustang, HK USP, FNP-9, Beretta M9A1) the CW9 is hands down my favorite to carry.

Edited by Jeep297

I carry the CW9 year round. Great for carry, light weight, single stack though. I have an M&P 9 and its right between the G17 & G19 as far ad weight and length. For work and summer time I find the CW easier to carry all day

I've been giving the 7 and 8 round .357 revolvers from S&W and Taurus a good hard look lately. I switch between my 1911 and .44mag 4" right now, but I think one of those would be a good all around carry for woods and street. Just switch from hollow point and hard cast ammo.

bigcec1, I carried a Glock 23 for a long time. It was my first carry piece, and I still carry it sometimes. After a few years of carrying it, I switched to a PF9 for just toting around, and am pretty happy with it. The new ones even have a metal mag release, imagine that. I still keep the G23 in my car though. Which brings me to my point. My main concern is getting robbed in my neighborhood, not having a shootout with a bank robber or something like that, I don't know what your concerns are. That's why I carry the smaller gun with less caliber and capacity. Plus, its super convenient, the 23 gets a bit cumbersome at times.

Carried everything at one point in time or another, and finally arrived at the Walther PPS in .40 S&W......

Thinnest, lightest carry pistol I've ever encountered, and comfortable to carry all the time......... Pricey, but you get what you pay for.............

It's become my dedicated carry pistol.........

Edited to add: The PPS in either 9mm or .40 is the same size and approximate weight....

Hmmm...interesting. One of the few pistols I haven't shot yet, I may need to check this one out.