Got a few inches of SNOW in NY last night...

We got a few inches of lake effect snow... so I thought I would take some photos... I dont know what all the fuss is... we deal with snow like this every single day of the winter!

I saw someone posted some whiny ass picture of some snow near their car... whoopdie do... thats NOTHING... you want SNOW?? Come to NY!!

snow1.jpg

snow3.jpg

The first one is my house... the second is my driveway to the road... It SUCKS to shovel... Glad I got a snowblower...

:smoke:

Here's my car (red Civic) from last year, up in NY. There wasn't any snow on the ground (maybe some flurry build-up) when I went into work, and this pic was taken about 6 hours into my shift. Took about 45 minutes, 3 or 4 people, a couple cigarette breaks and some shovels to get my car out. Then, once it was out, it took my about 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot, because I had no traction. On the way home, I had to keep the speedo pinned at about 50, eventhough I should have been going like 30. If I didn't, I wouldn't have made it home, because there's some steep inclines on the highway on my route home. If I lost speed and momentum, I'd have been fucked.

It was funny to watch all the Pennsylvania "good ol' boys" I work with, just drive out like nothing. All their giant trucks came in handy for them that day.

Crappy cell pic:

post-5916-0-64035000-1294965184_thumb.jpg

Indy-

My first teaching job was in Northern Oneida County back in the late 60's. I commuted to Grad School at Oswego State (45 MILES EACH WAY) 2 nights a week for the four years I was teaching in a High School during the day. As a transplanted Southern Californian, the shock of the first winter in NY was unbelieveable. We lasted 4 years there, but then headed to milder winters in New Jersey in 1972 (a whole new set of 'oh shit' rules to live by).

I will NEVER forget those four winters of 'Lake-effect snow. 10 inches over night would not close the schools unless the wind was blowing. School Bus drivers deserved medals for the way they hauled the kids around in some of the worst weather I have ever seen!

On the Plus side, driving my Datsun wagon over the race-course set up ON THE ICE on Oneida Lake near Sylvan Beach was really FUN !!!

My first teaching job was in Northern Oneida County back in the late 60's. I commuted to Grad School at Oswego State (45 MILES EACH WAY) 2 nights a week for the four years I was teaching in a High School during the day. As a transplanted Southern Californian, the shock of the first winter in NY was unbelieveable. We lasted 4 years there, but then headed to milder winters in New Jersey in 1972 (a whole new set of 'oh shit' rules to live by).

I will NEVER forget those four winters of 'Lake-effect snow. 10 inches over night would not close the schools unless the wind was blowing. School Bus drivers deserved medals for the way they hauled the kids around in some of the worst weather I have ever seen!

LOL, I'm in oswego county. The weather your talking about is what I grew up in.

I've got no real problems with snow until I have to shovel it. I'm too cheap for a snowblower, cuts into my gun fund too much.

We got 17+ inches in about 14 hours last week.

I really hate ice. '98 was bad, but '08 was even worse. I got lucky, we got power back about 24 hours after it went out. A guy I work with was out for 13 days. Luckily enough, we're supposed to get ice again this Tuesday.

I drove up to Syracuse yesterday and came home this morning. On the way up around 9am on 81n the driving got a little shitty. I am from NE pennsylvania

and am driving an 2008 Wrangler so snow is not so hard for me. I just take my time around 45mph when the visibility is about 3 feet whereas a lot of people

didn't give a shit. Out of nowhere comes what looked like an 79 Buick Regal with a car load of kids, windows fogged up, passing everyone and was out

of sight in seconds. 2" of unplowed snow on the road so I slide it into 4wd just in case another Buick was headed for me. A real nasty place to be this year.

I have to give them a lot of credit though. They have an every other side of the street parking. Odd days one side, even days the other side. No problems parking

or fighting for a spot. At least where I was.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about how the unionized New York sanitation department performed during the snowstorm like one of the European unionized workers who do very little then go on strike. Michael Bloomberg then raved about their incompetence and called for an investigation which will not cover his lack of leadership. He's too busy trying to disarm us to clean the snow. As a result of this incompetence, some people died including an old woman and a baby who emergency crews could not reach.

My turn to get fucked tonight-Expecting freezing rain, ice, sleet, and up to a foot of snow on top before it ends. Staying home isn't an option so I'll be heading off to work at 2am to plow and salt all day. Snow isn't bad but ice sucks it hard. The only good thing is I'm usually one of the very few morons on the highway in this crap at that hour. I don't know how you guys up north deal with this all the time......I hear it's really bad in the U.P.

Thought of you guys and took the camera out for a few pics. Everyone keeps asking me how the snow treated us in NY and I keep telling them We really don't notice, Its just normal up here.

PA210071.JPG

At home

PA210074.JPG

At the store

PA210077.JPG

The other side of that fence is a airfield. So much for the fence when the snow comes up to the top 2 foor of it...

PA210080.JPG

At a friends house.