Finally got some Promag 12 round drums.

Too shitty out to test one yet, but.....

1) Snapped in without fitting, even a bit loose compared to an MD 20.

2) Size. Plain and simple a quarter the size of the MD20, comes down to about the center point of the 20 round drum in depth from the bottom of the gun.

3) Havent shot it yet, but, if it functions, there is no way, I would consider the bigger 20, any 20 round drum BTW, superior to this, except in shear firepower. The immense size of the 20 rounders is just too much, too unwieldy, especially, if you had to use it in a tight environment, especially a vehicle.

4) Compared to even 8 round factory mags, this thing is small, let alone the US 10 and especially 12 round stick mags.

Got them for 66 bucks each, with shipping, not as dollar savvy as an MD per round, but, gotta weigh the usability factor, and I like the metal insert in the front hook/tab where it fits in the receiver. Seems like a simple fix, for a potential problem with any non metal reinforced mag.

Ah, wtf, it didn't post. FFS, here I go again, but shorter this time...

Bought a 12rd promag drum. I would feel a lot better if it was a drum from MD but decided against 20. I'm putting an MD20 on my list for the future. Double stacks and, if Mike makes any, 12 round drums from MD are instant buys.

I hope to hell I'm lucky on the Promag drum. It's not here yet, but when it is I'll take it to the range. Noted on not dropping it.

4) Compared to even 8 round factory mags, this thing is small

Well, load that bitch up with 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buck & shoot us a video. ^_^

Oh, wait..... :nothing:

Will these take 3"? Secondly, will they feed the weight?

no, thats why its funny. c'mon man.

• Like 2

3" is not that big of concern for me. We don't have many zombies in Western PA, they have all left for warmer, non union states, with better brain eating prospects, so, 2 3/4" shells with reduced pellet loads should be more than fine.

On a 2nd note, I have tried to keep my reviews "BASH FREE", and on topic, as to what observations, and characteristics whatever it is, just that.

Not saying one product is better than the other, or, that one product is best for all, no one, or any one for that matter.

Use this if it helps, print it and wipe your ass with it if it doesn't, it is, what it is....

• Like 3

I have heard good things about those drums, but promag has a lot of ground to make up for how shitty their stick mags are before i would ever consider giving them my $

• Like 1

Thats disgusting.....I mean the fact that we can't see if you hit anything in the video's.....

Anyone else notice some rounds had huge fireballs, others almost nothing?

The amount of fireball you see in a video is entirely dependent upon the shutter speed of the camera and the precise moment in the Saiga's cycle when the shutter is tripped.

• Like 1

I have heard good things about those drums, but promag has a lot of ground to make up for how shitty their stick mags are before i would ever consider giving them my $

Oh I hear you..... I have 3 small drums and 1 big drum and all work flawless.. My paperwork is approved for my suppressor so I can take it home next week...

Slugo-o, is that tiny Drum a 12 rounder?

Either you have large hands or those Drums are realy small. Cool Video.

People who don't own, have never tried, or possibly even handled (or seen) a promag drum in real life, have NO business giving advice on them if all they have is BS attitude towards other promags, that happened to be pieces of shit. They finally did something right with these drums and they DO work. People who don't like promags don't have to buy them. People who have sense enough to read and look at videos for themselves, and have an open mind, shouldn't feel afraid to try a promag drum because of what some promag stick mag haters, who have NO actual experience with the drums, say from behind a keyboard. :rolleyes:

Besides...the 20 round drums are too big an unwieldy to effectively use in a bullpup 12 (unless you pose in some silly uncomfortable shooting position), or just too big for other reasons in some people's opinions. For now, until Chaos comes out with their smaller drums, promag is the only company making a 10 or 12 round drum for the S-12. I have a 20 rd promag drum too, and it has never failed...ever. It's had well over a thousand rounds run through it in at least a dozen different S-12s now. Believe what you want. Listen to people who have actually tried them though. There are many many posts on this forum from happy promag drum owners.

BTW there are currently no drums mass produced by anyone that will hold 3" magnums.

• Like 2

I have 3 of the Promag 12 round drums, 3 of the MD20 drums (yes, they are legal in Hawaii), and a bunch of long Surefire stick mags, that I eventually cut down to 8 rounders because of thier length & weight getting in the way of handling. Out of what I have, I use the 12 round drums the most. They function good right out of the box and can be 100% with only a little fine tuning, are not too heavy and provide a nice balance to the weapon. I didn't like how loose they fit, so I added some JB Weld to the front lip and filed it down, they fit nice and tight for the first 50 or so drum loads. Now the JB weld is wearing thin and they have become loose again. Even though they wiggle a little bit, they work fine, I just like them to fit tighter. I may try to add a metal shim to the lip this time. I did also take them apart and played with the spring tension.

I also like the MD20's for playing around at the range, but would not care to walk any distances with that much bulk on the weapon, I prefer to carry the 12 round drums( in canteen pouches on a shoulder strap) and the 8 round sticks. Nothing wrong with any of them, I just have different uses for different tools.

Edited by PYRO

finally got the 12 round promag drum love the size but is really loose locked in and lost a big chunk of plastic of the front lip when I first tried to fit it...I will see what happens when I try it out...now comparing the md and promag my vote is md drum just wished they had a 12 round compact...just my 2 cents

I have two of the Promag 12 rnd drums. The first one I purchased has run in my S12 100% and the only fitting that was needed was a very light filing on either side of the mag stem. It locks in solid and no wobble. My second I recently purchased and it fit my S12 without any filing. It does have a very slight wobble but I do not think it will be and issue. I have cycled some rounds through it to which none hung up. I'm waiting on my MD20 so once I get it, I am going to the range to test all of them. I am sure there will be no issues.

I am waiting on the double stack mags. I HOPE the RIO slugs and buck with the roll crimp fit. The AGP 10 rounds are nice but a tad long.

I have a MD-20 which runs fine.. But it is BIG and really is for "play" I would consider a compact double stack THE answer.

I have a pic of one posted on the fridge with note to wife "Want for Birthday". Well actually I have to try the 10 rounder being under the oppression of NYS.

Careful with that one bob, I hear some LEOs in NY see these as rotary feed devices akin to the street sweeper which might lead to some trouble down the line.