How many ports do you have??? (Product research)

I'm doing product research.

I'm currently sourcing the stock for my port gauge / cleaners from my local favorite machine shop. It's already in process.

I'd like to know how many & what size are out there.

I'm currently making .080 & .091, being as most factory guns are 3 porters, but Tromix & some other builders do odd-ball sizes, I don't want to leave you guys out if there's much demand.

I'll likely sell them here as sets.

• Like 2
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm doing product research.   I'm currently sourcing the stock for my port gauge / cleaners from my local favorite machine shop. It's already in process.   I'd like to know how many & what siz

Hi Paulyski, how much to polish my bolt, sticky and distorting slug rounds?    

Posted Images

I'm about to post a sale of $65.00 (shipped Fed-ex insured at no additional charge) for the best job available in the industry today. I have to download some pics first though.

PM me if interested. :up:

In the future, when my price goes to full price, I'll be including this set that I'm making, free with my service so people can know exactly where they stand.

14 ea. 4 port from factory .073 Dia.

Although I have been critisized on this forum by a weel respected business member saying there have never been any factory 4 hole guns imported into this country?

And a few more 3 port

Edited by saigatechusa

Although I have been critisized on this forum by a weel respected business member saying there have never been any factory 4 hole guns imported into this country?

And a few more 3 port

I think what he said was there were very few 4 port guns imported from russia, and the rest were modified befor they hit distributors?

Either way. I have a 4 port and a 3 port myself. If I get a sec I'll try to measure them. Never cared to, they both cycle fine after some massaging of the internals.

Congratulations! on the business member upgrade (if indeed, upgrade it is).

My S12 has 3 holes, and as nearly as I can measure using various bits of wire, solder, silver solder and whatnot, all checked with a micrometer, I find the holes are approximately .058. And put me down for a guage set.

Even though my port holes are smallish, by following the instructions and photos provided by yourself and others on the POLISHING YOUR BOLT thread, I have brought my (unconverted) gun to the point it cycles everything I put into it, reliably, including Federal low brass and moderately low powered reloads I'm doing myself. So I'm asking myself, "Why drill the ports?" Given the thread here on drilling the ports however, its another job I wouldn't hesitate to undertake.

I see lots of admonitions here from various business members against DIY'ers attempting to do these fairly simple alterations. Profiling and polishing the bolt, carrier, hammer and rails (and importantly, the chamber feed ramp, since that eliminated many stovepipe jams) was straightforward and simple as could be. Although, I suspect the ease and accuracy with which it can be done may depend as much upon the tools one has available, as upon talent and skill. And I do have the tools, if nought else.

And after all, what distinguishes the business member 'expert', from the talented amateur? Do business members attend manufacturer's schools? Do they serve apprenticeships somewhere? Or are they former DIY'ers and amateurs who themselves followed directions and photos to the point they decided to become pros?

Make no mistake about it, I DO support those 'smiths and aftermarket suppliers of services for any kind of gun or gun accessory. And I may even yet send in my Saiga12 for one of your tune-ups....if for no other reason than to see how close I've managed to come to perfection myself....and since your price of 65 bucks is less than any local gunsmith will drill 4 receiver holes in a shotgun for mounting a rail. I mean, good grief! you leave virtually no room for anyone to complain about your prices!

Anyhow, from an amateur who has benefited greatly from the unselfish giving of information and photos on this forum, I sincerely appreciate it....

Parson Julabee Jones

Edited by PJJ

I'm about to post a sale of $65.00 (shipped Fed-ex insured at no additional charge) for the best job available in the industry today. I have to download some pics first though.

PM me if interested. :up:

In the future, when my price goes to full price, I'll be including this set that I'm making, free with my service so people can know exactly where they stand.

Congratulations Pauly!

After seeing the job you did on your bolt, I want you to do mine too. But I'm getting ready to send my gun to Tac47 for a few weeks. How long do you plan the sale to go on?

And a few more 3 port

I think what he said was there were very few 4 port guns imported from russia, and the rest were modified befor they hit distributors?

Either way. I have a 4 port and a 3 port myself. If I get a sec I'll try to measure them. Never cared to, they both cycle fine after some massaging of the internals.

As I stated before, after removing gas blocks from over 2 dozen s12's, carefull inspection by the hole pattern, paint over spray, and rust marks they have never been disassembled after leaving the factory.

Edited by saigatechusa

Mine is a 3 port and if I remember correctly in using the 12, 14, and 16ga wire test my ports were all undersized. It was either the 14 or 16ga that would fit. The S12 has always ran but I have thought about enlarging the ports to the correct factory size. My last testing with the V plug in place nothing would cycle below #3. 3 would barely cycle 2&3/4 slugs and 00buck, #4 would eject out about 6-7 feet on those. Setting #5 would eject everything else ok.

I checked my ports when I got home and a 14ga wire (.063) fit in all 3 holes with about the same consistency of fit.

Edited by farmdog

All three holes were a little different on mine. One seemed very clear, one slightly smaller and one was obstructed by the gas block and seemed even smaller. Wonder how much the differences were crude not miss drill.

Took them all to 5/64 (according to a couple charts it is .078?).

All three holes were a little different on mine. One seemed very clear, one slightly smaller and one was obstructed by the gas block and seemed even smaller. Wonder how much the differences were crude not miss drill.

Took them all to 5/64 (according to a couple charts it is .078?).

That's right, if you get confused in the future just remember to divide the top number by the bottom number or 5/64=.078125...

3 ports (not sure about size)

1 appears to be slightly blocked by the gas block, but I can clean it with a large paperclip and it wiggles, so I think it just looks blocked.

My gun had trouble out of the box with light loads. I went through the array of emotions associated with owning a s-12. Happy, excited, confused, sad, mad, and finally complete happiness and a feeling of accomplishment. Thanks to this forum, the business members, and a local friend I found on this forum, my gun shoots everything with no ftf or fte. I love vodka! :smoke:

And a few more 3 port

Thank you very much.

I'll be making an .071 then. :up:

Everything's underway :D