How many ports do you have??? (Product research)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm doing product research.   I'm currently sourcing the stock for my port gauge / cleaners from my local favorite machine shop. It's already in process.   I'd like to know how many & what siz

Hi Paulyski, how much to polish my bolt, sticky and distorting slug rounds?    

Posted Images

Two guns,

First is a vodka with two obstructed ports, still shoots low brass just fine

Second is a three port gun, haven't shot it yet but my last box from dinzzag shipped today so it should be in service soon.

2001 model, long barrel, full integral choke. 3 ports at .078. Runs anything i have fed it.

Edit to add: the mfg date and barrel length should be posted here for comparison.

Edited by G O B

I have three Saiga-12's. My 2008 model has a 2011 16" four port barrel that started out at .063 but I opened them up to .076. I also have a 2009 S-12 with a 19" three port barrel that I believe to be .080, because I can fit a 5/64 bit with some play in between. Lastly, My newest S-12 is a 2011 19" with four ports at .063.

Guys I have a Factory 4 port(Diamond Pattern, no clue what size) unconverted Saiga-12 that cycles cheap bulk ammo absolutely perfectly on gas setting 1. No jams or stovepipes or FTF ever. Bought it from a friend for $400. Is this normal???
I've read several posts on factory S-12's that will run bird shot on the #1 setting. So I would conclude that it depends on the size gas ports the gun came with when it left the factory. From what I've gathered, the factory doesn't seem to follow any guide lines on the size port holes they install in these guns. It's possible that you have one of the guns with four holes at .076 and/or the gun is simply well broken in. Edited by macaholic

I thought there were 3 ports, because that's all I could see, but in looking closely and using a paper clip, there are actually 4, the one closest to the muzzle is partly covered by the block. They are small, maybe about 2 mm. I just got this yesterday and don't know how it works.

I have two S-12's. One is a 3 port the other is a 4 port.

I just today stated converting the 3 port so I thought I might as well take it down a little further and check the size.

All three of the ports are .0795. All were exposed.

Will check the 4 port gun sometime down the road.

Both guns run well with no FTE so far.

I have two S-12's. One is a 3 port the other is a 4 port.

I just today stated converting the 3 port so I thought I might as well take it down a little further and check the size.

All three of the ports are .0795. All were exposed.

Will check the 4 port gun sometime down the road.

Both guns run well with no FTE so far.

I have one three port S-12 and it's the only one I haven't had to fiddle f%ck to get running 100%. The other two are four ports and they both needed to be fiddle fu%ked. Edited by macaholic

I thought there were 3 ports, because that's all I could see, but in looking closely and using a paper clip, there are actually 4, the one closest to the muzzle is partly covered by the block. They are small, maybe about 2 mm. I just got this yesterday and don't know how it works.

Fourth hole partially obscured by the gas block? Sounds familiar. As a matter of fact, I've been down that road twice already. Take the gun out and see if it runs. If it does good. If not, well that's where all the fun begins. If your gun is a 2011 four port gun, the gas ports should be about .063 or one 16th of an inch. The gun will run with these gas ports, but I had to open up the gas block hole with a slightly larger drill bit to expose the one gas port on both of my four port barrels. You can also use a rat-tail file to perform this operation as well. Also, you may want to check the gas ports for crud because I found some in two of my ports on one of my four port guns. It's not a real hard fix, it's simply knowing what to do to make it right. Edited by macaholic

I have a 2011 with four ports, the ports measured .063 of an inch.

I have the same. One hole is partially covered. It shoots buck and slug fine. I don't use it for birdshot and only tried a few rounds through it on setting 2, it worked.

I just check my four port s12. All four ports are .063. As I mention earlier my three port gun has .0795 ports.

The total size of the ports for comparison are

4 ports times .063=0.252

3 ports times .079=0.237

You need to calculate area for a proper comparison.

4 ports @ .063 1/16" diameter calculates to 12,468 square mils

4 ports @ .070 # 50 Drill diameter calculates to 15,394 square mils

3 ports @ .079 5/64" diameter calculates to 14,703 square mils

2 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 13,586 square mils

3 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 20,329 square mils

My 2011 Saiga has 4 ports between .051" and .066" Once I get the Gas block off I will measure

with pin gauges to get the proper sizes. I want to go with the #50 drill bit.

Malodave

Edited by MaloDave

Feel free to continue to discuss, But I'm closing the poll, its over a year old.

final results...

How many ports do you have?

1. 2 (14 votes [6.25%] - View)
  2. 3 (155 votes [69.20%] - View)
  3. 4 (49 votes [21.88%] - View)
  4. I have no idea (6 votes [2.68%] - View)

What size are they?

1. .093 (24 votes [10.71%] - View)
  2. .075 (23 votes [10.27%] - View)
  3. other (please specify) (11 votes [4.91%] - View)
  4. I have no idea (166 votes [74.11%] - View)

I just check my four port s12. All four ports are .063. As I mention earlier my three port gun has .0795 ports. The total size of the ports for comparison are 4 ports times .063=0.252 3 ports times .079=0.237
You need to calculate area for a proper comparison. 4 ports @ .063 1/16" diameter calculates to 12,468 square mils 4 ports @ .070 # 50 Drill diameter calculates to 15,394 square mils 3 ports @ .079 5/64" diameter calculates to 14,703 square mils 2 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 13,586 square mils 3 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 20,329 square mils My 2011 Saiga has 4 ports between .051" and .066" Once I get the Gas block off I will measure with pin gauges to get the proper sizes. I want to go with the #50 drill bit. Malodave
This is good info, Thanks for the post. Edited by macaholic
I just check my four port s12. All four ports are .063. As I mention earlier my three port gun has .0795 ports. The total size of the ports for comparison are 4 ports times .063=0.252 3 ports times .079=0.237
You need to calculate area for a proper comparison. 4 ports @ .063 1/16" diameter calculates to 12,468 square mils 4 ports @ .070 # 50 Drill diameter calculates to 15,394 square mils 3 ports @ .079 5/64" diameter calculates to 14,703 square mils 2 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 13,586 square mils 3 ports @ .093 3/32" diameter calculates to 20,329 square mils My 2011 Saiga has 4 ports between .051" and .066" Once I get the Gas block off I will measure with pin gauges to get the proper sizes. I want to go with the #50 drill bit. Malodave
You may not need to go that large MaloDave, I have a 2011 19" with four .063 gas ports, and it runs multiple brands of bird shot without failure on #2. However, It's going to 16" when the Form 1 comes back from the NFA branch. Edited by macaholic