Educate Me - Ed Brown 1911s

I am curious about Ed Brown. I know very little about 1911s other than their general military background and general operating proceedures. However, this is the centennial of the 1911, so it is time to add one to my collection. After some searching, I found a centennial edition of the Ed Brown Executive Elite in which I am particularly interested. However, I don't know much about Ed Brown or their products.

Does Ed Brown deserve its reputation as a premium 1911 custom shop?

What can you tell me of the company, their products, and this particular model?

Is there another make or model Centennial Edition I should consider?

I am quite well aware that there are functional, service quality 1911s that can be had for a fraction of the price. I have seen Rock River advocated as a completely servicable weapon. However, since this is the centennial, I wanted to snag a high quality piece that could hold a proud place in my collection, not just something to fill a hole.

They make a good gun and a lot of good parts for modifying 1911s (I have their Beavertail on several guns) the however coma is so do a very large number of other companies (Wilson Combat) and people. Don't know about their customer service but generally their quality is great.

I'd still be tempted to go with a Colt first for collecting purposes (of a 1911 to 2011) or little higher end Kimber or Springfield for shooting.

My habits cost too much for me to put the kind of money into a gun for a collection so I go with more or less the base gun and do some mods and up grades for shooting not so much for pretty.

To me a 1911 is a $800.00 price range gun tops to start with and maybe a couple hundred more in upgrades.

Good luck with it however you choose to go.:super:

post-26137-0-09860700-1295626556_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saiga20mags.com
  • Like 1

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

THis will take you to the Ed Brown Section of the 1911 Forum. Actual owners who also have opinions about the Ed Brown line up. If you are looking to get the most for your money, I agree with Yakdung on the Dan Wesson Bobtail. I have one and it is a great pistol. I gather that you are more interested in the collector nature of the 100 year anniversary and Ed Brown is not a bad choice for that. You might check with Bob Marvel and see what he would charge to do a one off for you. I also have a Bob Marvel and it is by far the best 1911 I own. Wilson is also a good choice between full custom and standard. Get what you like and enjoy.

• Like 1

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

THis will take you to the Ed Brown Section of the 1911 Forum. Actual owners who also have opinions about the Ed Brown line up. If you are looking to get the most for your money, I agree with Yakdung on the Dan Wesson Bobtail. I have one and it is a great pistol. I gather that you are more interested in the collector nature of the 100 year anniversary and Ed Brown is not a bad choice for that. You might check with Bob Marvel and see what he would charge to do a one off for you. I also have a Bob Marvel and it is by far the best 1911 I own. Wilson is also a good choice between full custom and standard. Get what you like and enjoy.

+1 for the Wilson. While I've never been into fully decked out 1911s, Wilson 1911s are excellent guns for their value, you really can't go wrong with one. I will however, build my own 1911 with the bobtail style housing, just because of it's unique feel and added conceal-ability.