I finally took my new 308 to the range. After about 6 shots the reciever cover blew off. I thought I might not have put it on tightly so I checked it and put it back. The next shot blew it off again!

The bolt seems to lock correctly. I don't see any impact marks on the moving parts or inside the cover. I was shooting Remington Express core-lokt 150 grain.

I've never had any trouble with my Saiga 7.62X39 with thousands of rounds through it.

Have any of you experienced anything like this before? Any ideas?

SG

So I took a really careful look shows a little chafing on the bottom of the, er, "gas piston holder" part of the bolt carrier and the charging handle slides a lot roughter than my 7.62X39. Maybe the bolt carrier wasn't all the way forward and released the bolt to soon???

Whatever it is I'm pretty sure gas blew the cover off, and it's not like I can send it in for warrantee...

Any thoughts???

Edited by Smiley_Guy

just a thaught. Try switching recivers cover with the 7.62 see if it still happens if not maby the reciver cover is not molded right and might not fit tightly. That is strange beacuse you have to push the bolt spring in to get the cover off. Other than it just having one hell of a reciol or the bolt not being on its runner I dont know what it could be any one else care to elaberate ?

john

One of the more common problems with the .308s. The receiver cover latch doesn't catch like it should or the hole is too big and it flies off under recoil. You might try the advanced search function and try finding what others did. I know one installed a set screw in the latch that prevented it from pulling out of the cover and kept it on.