Sign in to follow this  
kilovictor

Getting that mirror shine when polishing

Hey all,

Thought I'd share a tip I have learned after trying to get the mirror finish that many guys can. It's not perfect, but if you use the fine sanding discs that come in the dremel kit at a very high RPM (I'm doing 35k I think) and you hold it at a slight angle to avoid hitting the dremels screw on your metal (or hold it flat/parallel to shorter pieces that you can fit half of the sanding disc onto) and keep it moving, I've been able to eliminate those fine scratches that were keeping my polishing felt wheel with compound from getting the job done. I love the gray, soft disc polishing wheel too but it's harder to get a nice flat face on anything with.

Hope this helps someone, let me know if there's a better way than this!

Thanks,

Tom

I too used the "rubber" gray disks that came with my dremel kit. It worked really well at getting rid of the factory finish on the bolt and carrier, and left a really bright finish. only down side is it left a kind of streak with each pass.

Man, Google Chrome keeps screwing me. This is the 3rd time I've tried to reply, and in that time I see you've changed your post Pauly. I'm sorry I didn't know you had already put this up as a sticky.

However, I've seen your recent offerings and am in need of someone who can really fine-tune my s12. lemme know if you're up to the task- i don't feel like typing up all the particulars at this point.

Thanks

Tom

Wet sanding is the key to mirror finish. Years of polishing motorcycle frames and parts. Hit it with some jewelers roujse and your favorite lube to finish