would a double stack drum be possible?

If Mike D. gets his double stack mag concept birthed and out to market, this might be a possible further development - though it wouldn't be the size or shape of an MD-20. AK drum mags are single stack for a reason. If you were to make a double stack drum, it'd be a double drum - each stack feeds from one of the drums. Just like a C-mag.

If Mike D. gets his double stack mag concept birthed and out to market, this might be a possible further development - though it wouldn't be the size or shape of an MD-20. AK drum mags are single stack for a reason. If you were to make a double stack drum, it'd be a double drum - each stack feeds from one of the drums. Just like a C-mag.

It'd be twice the size.. just like Shandlanos said.. it'd work like a C-mag.

edit: thinking about AK drums though... I wonder if it would be possible to make a multi-rotation drum that winds up and would hold a couple of rounds in each channel of the sprocket like the AK drums. Something you'd set the follower and load from the back.

It would be damn heavy though.

Edited by danklab

edit: thinking about AK drums though... I wonder if it would be possible to make a multi-rotation drum that winds up and would hold a couple of rounds in each channel of the sprocket like the AK drums. Something you'd set the follower and load from the back.

I think it's possible, but because of the rim and variance in OAL even in 2.75" shells, would be very difficult to make reliable. For practical usage, twenty 12-gauge shotgun shells in a magazine is about the limit - and when I carry my S-12 it's only with a 5- or 8-round stick.

If someone were to develop a truly high-capacity magazine for the S-12, it would be for range fun times, and an alternative to developing a belt-feed system for use on remotely-controlled armed robots - two S-12s, each with a 20-round drum, ain't enough firepower - you need at least twice that, of course!. The only practical solution I can come up with is a pan magazine. It worked for the DP-28/DPM, with rimmed rifle cartridges - it worked for the AM-180 (albeit with an external winder), and the concept scaled way up to nearly 300 cartridges in one magazine. Because of the variance in OAL it might be more of a challenge to make the concept work with shotgun shells, but it should be possible. A pan mag holding 40-60 rounds would be absolutely ridiculous for a man-portable weapon, but a shitload of fun mounted on an anchored tripod on range day.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

I think it's possible, but because of the rim and variance in OAL even in 2.75" shells, would be very difficult to make reliable. For practical usage, twenty 12-gauge shotgun shells in a magazine is about the limit - and when I carry my S-12 it's only with a 5- or 8-round stick.

If someone were to develop a truly high-capacity magazine for the S-12, it would be for range fun times, and an alternative to developing a belt-feed system for use on remotely-controlled armed robots - two S-12s, each with a 20-round drum, ain't enough firepower - you need at least twice that, of course!. The only practical solution I can come up with is a pan magazine. It worked for the DP-28/DPM, with rimmed rifle cartridges - it worked for the AM-180 (albeit with an external winder), and the concept scaled way up to nearly 300 cartridges in one magazine. Because of the variance in OAL it might be more of a challenge to make the concept work with shotgun shells, but it should be possible. A pan mag holding 40-60 rounds would be absolutely ridiculous for a man-portable weapon, but a shitload of fun mounted on an anchored tripod on range day.

actually ive got an idea in my head that should be relativly reliable and very simple, and close to a md 20 in size. not a double drum. i dont know if i have the recourses to try it though. ill try to explain.

inside the main mody if the drum, there would be no large revolving gear thing like in most drums. in its place, there would be a steel arm that pivots in the center or the drum. on the end of it would be a double stack follower like from a double stack magazine. and on each panel, front and back, there would be small walls, that come up to the arm right behind the follower to seal off where the shells go. they wouldnt be connected in order to allow the arm past. it would have to use the same mechanism as a double stack magazine to drop from double stack to single stack, then use a standard md 20 feedneck. basically it would be a double stack magazine bent in the shape of a drum, to give a example on shell path through the drum. i dont know how well ive explained this, if i didnt do a good job ill do somthing on microsoft paint that should be easier to understand.

Edited by yooper14

actually ive got an idea in my head that should be relativly reliable and very simple, and close to a md 20 in size. not a double drum. i dont know if i have the recourses to try it though. ill try to explain.

inside the main mody if the drum, there would be no large revolving gear thing like in most drums. in its place, there would be a steel arm that pivots in the center or the drum. on the end of it would be a double stack follower like from a double stack magazine. and on each panel, front and back, there would be small walls, that come up to the arm right behind the follower to seal off where the shells go. they wouldnt be connected in order to allow the arm past. it would have to use the same mechanism as a double stack magazine to drop from double stack to single stack, then use a standard md 20 feedneck. basically it would be a double stack magazine bent in the shape of a drum, to give a example on shell path through the drum. i dont know how well ive explained this, if i didnt do a good job ill do somthing on microsoft paint that should be easier to understand.

You mean something along these lines? Except of course in 12ga

post-18430-0-22288900-1295454842_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Its called "helical sweep" IIRC, and I believe that Chaos was designing their drum like that.

You mean something along these lines? Except of course in 12ga

actually not quite. rather than a spring pushing it through, as shown in that picture, have a arm mounted in the middle that swings around the inside of the drum, with a md20 style spring stuck too it. with a double stack magazine follower on the end or the arm pushing the shells. then have it drop from double stack to single stack and from there to a feedneck.