Auto Gas Plug

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You've got to remember to have the bleed valve welded shut when you put an auto adjuster in., ?  

video folks...  

Closing the bleed hole wouldn't matter. It can only bleed after the action has already cycled.

It works in a gun that has enough gas to run everything before installing it. To an extent. The range of ammo has a limit. If you can run the lightest low recoil type ammo with it, 3" magnum is still going to kick the bolt carrier back into the rear trunion hard.

In a low gassed gun it won't improve cycling.

Edited by hobbyshooter

You've got to remember to have the bleed valve welded shut when you put an auto adjuster in., Then it should hypothetically shoot blanks. This does of course have some bearing on the gas ports. I haven't had a chance to test mine yet, but will let you know. I'm hoping it will cycle blanks, less lethal, etc. I have a friends whose gun was very broken in from being a range gun, and it shot black powder blanks with the factory gas plug!

You've got to remember to have the bleed valve welded shut when you put an auto adjuster in., Then it should hypothetically shoot blanks. This does of course have some bearing on the gas ports. I haven't had a chance to test mine yet, but will let you know. I'm hoping it will cycle blanks, less lethal, etc. I have a friends whose gun was very broken in from being a range gun, and it shot black powder blanks with the factory gas plug!

You've got to remember to have the bleed valve welded shut when you put an auto adjuster in., ?

• Like 1

I think I will wait and see how it shoots when I get my bolt back from Pauly. The way it looks if I need to change the plug I think I will go with MD's V plug instead of the TAC 47after reading all of the diffrent reports it seems like to much truoble.

I think I will wait and see how it shoots when I get my bolt back from Pauly. The way it looks if I need to change the plug I think I will go with MD's V plug instead of the TAC 47after reading all of the diffrent reports it seems like to much truoble.

The Tac47 plug works well. It took 6-7 shots to get it dialed in.

Mixed a 10 round mag of different loads, and handed the gun to a friend.

All ten rounds went off without a hitch.

No more changing settings for me.:super:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, haven't been here in awhile (3yrs :( ) but I'm glad I came back (due to the hysteria) and found out about this great thing.

I'll admit it. I would never adjust the (factory) plug so I'd just take the punishment when shooting slugs. Due to that- the S12 lost favor to my benelli & I traded her off, crazy I know. But I always missed the gun, so.....I have a new gun at a builder and had having him install an autoplug (among other things ;)) simply due to the fact of the video above.

BTW- I dig his accent, it almost sounds Russian

anyway, I'm glad tac47 came up with this device.

Edited by luckypunk

From reading around it looks like the plug is meant for high brass and not cheap shit. So if you plan on running low brass, run the MDarms plug. I'd like to get an autoplug, but it seems like its just not worth it for us cheap guys out there.

Did you even watch the video? :huh: The guy tuned it in with the cheapest low brass he could get at walmart. He even said that!

It seems that with the influx of new Saiga owners, this board is having to deal with two challenges all to common on other boards:

1. People are posting the most basic of questions easily answered by the search (not a reference to this thread).

2. People who don't even own a Saiga yet or have experience with a particular aftermarket product are doling out advice based PURELY on what they read on the internets. This does not help anyone and can actually spread bad info on good products or vice versa.

If you don't have direct experience with the Autoplug, please leave answering questions about how well it works to those that do. If you have a line on a thread with good answers, link to that thread in addition to/instead of providing your own summary.

That will make things much easier when those that are newbies in a few weeks come and use the search or scroll through the posts.

027.gif

• Like 1

I have one that was installed by them when I sent my saiga in for the conversion.

it worked very well with their setting and the stock 5 rounder magazine, but when I put in a drum mag, I had issues with it, but retuning it (more gas) fixed the problem.

I'm going to order a 10 rounder magazine and adjust it for that. I honestly didn't like the drum mag because it makes it bit awkard for me to grab the rifle I want.

I have an MD plug as well, but I haven't even put it on. why use a manual one, when the automatic one works just as well? adjust it correctly, and let the spring handle the excess pressure relief

Edited by taseal

S.T.;

I assume he read that PDF that's still floating around.

rich;

plugs will not add a substantial amount of gas pressure.

To fire less lethal, you're going to ned to gas the shit out of it, reduce friction & then do the race-gun type spring tuning....

Then you won't want to run magnum you'll have so much gas.

I don't know how well Mike's gas plug can strangle a massively overgassed gun, but if you make the gun able to fire everything you want it to, I would recommend the it.

The Auto plug is for properly gassed guns & works well for them from what I have seen.

BTW- I dig his accent, it almost sounds Russian

Or South African.

South Africans know the value of a dependable drummed 12 gauge.

Yeah I wanna look into them more. MDarms I think is coming out with one.

he's about to release a Puck.
  • Like 1

Some thoughts on auto gas plugs (AGP) and reliability: an AGP adds another moving part, its another thing to break (and Kalashnikovs are supposed to be close to unbreakable). Looking at the videos the plugs appear to work by venting the pressure when it reaches a certain threshold (as controlled by the adjustment screw/spring). If you are adjusting the AGP so that it allows low brass ammo to function, you have have the gun teetering on being under gassed. At that setting, in a harsh environment, the gun may not cycle. At the other end of the spectrum, if the AGP fails with its vents in the open position will the gun still cycle high brass?

That is the test I want to see in these videos: pull the spring out of the AGP and leave the AGP in the open position. Load the gun with high brass and see if it will cycle. If the AGP can't cycle a Saiga in that mode it does not belong on Kalashnikov, IMHO.

• Like 1

From reading around it looks like the plug is meant for high brass and not cheap shit. So if you plan on running low brass, run the MDarms plug. I'd like to get an autoplug, but it seems like its just not worth it for us cheap guys out there.

Wrong.

The Tac 47 auto plug is designed to run everything.

Well I bought the TAC-47 plug and my bolt polished by Pauly it's just about where I want it. I hope to go out tomorrow and try it out. My wife just got out of the hospital so my s12 has been taking second seat for a while. I will let you know how it goes.

I have the Tac-47 Auto Plug on my gun . Works great . As I've written before switching between gas setting is one of the negatives with the Saiga 12 . This unit eliminates the problem . I've run high ( Federal 00 and Slugs ) and low brass ( Walmart bulk pack bird shot and others ) in the same mag and have had no problems, and I ran mixed loads through both the 5 round mag and the MD 20. Just tune it in to YOUR gun and go and have fun .

• Like 1

NO! Leave the bleed hole alone. when the piston gets that far back it contributes nothing to the cycling of the action, but the bleed hole will vent excess pressure from a dangerous overload. I have had an O-A3 shoot 3' of flame from the spit hole from a defective round -commercial ammo, not a reload! It can and does happen.