Saiga.308 or Vepr?

I own both and like the vepr more. Its a better design and has an over all higher build quality.

I don't care for the poly stock that robarms added. But that could be a personal fit issue more then a quality problem.

The vepr is not as well supported.. I think I'm the only maker of magazines for it, but mine are cheaper then the factory 10s

• Like 1

The Vepr rifles are nicer guns. There is a tad better finish as well as construction. The difference is not night and day, but it is noticable. With that said, the Vepr is twice the money of the Saiga. But if you compare the Saiga Ver21 to a Vepr, they are much closer in price. One thing to keep in mind on the Vepr is that the factory mags are rare. CSspec mags good mags for them, but they do run $50 each. So if you are like me and want 10-20 spare mags, it can add up.

If mid range tactical is your goal, then I'd say Saiga. Easier to find mags, cheaper = more money for mags and ammo, probably lighter, easier to accessorize, probably just as accurate when shooting cheap ammo, and you won't cringe as hard if you feel the need to cut or paint her.

When you compare the two, be sure to include the cost of mags.

Have both, with identical conversion by Will at Red Jacket. He did a saiga mag conversion on the Vepr. No complaint on mag switch over, yet wish I would have waited on csspecs Vepr mag. (Can beat baby seals with these mags.) Do have to do a little adjusting to the saiga mag. csspecs metal mags are my favorite for Saiga use, second FBMG (mag I use for Vepr). Used Saiga for tactical Hogan's alley course for a couple years. Knees went bad. Looking myself in getting another Vepr. Have about 1 or 2 models of every modern .308 black weapons. Saiga has become my pick up, out the door weapon. Just personal choice, and is lightest, shoots evrything feed it, and not worried about it breaking. :smoke: P.S. Shot couple hundred round this afternoon with Vepr. Yesterday with Saiga. Except for marked mags (Vepr modified mags work in either weapon, straight saiga not in Vepr), both shoot and recoil the same.

Edited by Ruffian72

I am wanting a .308 as a mid-range (100/150plus) tactical rifle. I was told that Vepr's had an "heavier" barrel? What are the differences in the Vepr's and Saigas, and which one would you go with and why. Thanks

The VEPR is a better rifle but it also costs twice as much as a 308 Saiga and it isn't twice as good.

There are quite a few Saigas owned by members of this forum that will shoot like a VEPR..

Just weighed both weapons. Vepr is only 4 oz heavier. Unita is now producing the FBMG mag mentioned before. csspec (metal), Unita/FBMG polymer. Have the other manufacturers mags, yet would only use for range use. Just personal choice and dependability. :smoke:

I am wanting a .308 as a mid-range (100/150plus) tactical rifle. I was told that Vepr's had an "heavier" barrel? What are the differences in the Vepr's and Saigas, and which one would you go with and why. Thanks

The VEPR is a better rifle but it also costs twice as much as a 308 Saiga and it isn't twice as good.

There are quite a few Saigas owned by members of this forum that will shoot like a VEPR..

Well people pay $1K for an arsenal AK.. So value is really up to the person with the wallet.

The new veprs I've seen have factory flash hiders (how did they get those in?). Which are kinda cool and would cost at least $100 to add to a saiga.

They are also like the Ver21 in that they have a normal semi trigger setup, so no conversion needed.

I would give my left nut for a super vepr, but I doubt anyone would trade.

Here is one that's been converted! 2100.oo!!!

Maybe you could raise funds by auctioning lefty off on eBay?

That's not a Super Vepr anymore. That is bullshit. They turned a nice rifle into an expensive pile of shit that looks like a cheap pile of shit. That's like buying a Ferrari and "improving" it by adding one of those ridiculous body kits you see on Honda Civics driven by 17 year olds.

In fact, I'd like to personally bitch slap whoever was responsible for ruining that rifle.

Edited by Dudethebagman

I would give my left nut for a super vepr, but I doubt anyone would trade.

That's not a Super Vepr anymore. That is bullshit. They turned a nice rifle into an expensive pile of shit that looks like a cheap pile of shit. That's like buying a Ferrari and "improving" it by adding one of those ridiculous body kits you see on Honda Civics driven by 17 year olds.

In fact, I'd like to personally bitch slap whoever was responsible for ruining that rifle.

I agree, although a blanket party for them would be more fun. I gotta wonder - what did they do with the stock? I'll bet it would make me want to kick them repeatedly once they are down.

Speaking of Vepr, they are being imported once again. $900 bucks a piece, with really nice wood.

I was not aware of that, but at $900.00, I probably will not go with one. I would most likely get a Saiga .308 instead if i were to go that route. I seriously doubt there would be any major differences in accuracy and I could use what I saved for magazines and ammunition.

$2100.00? I like AK style rifles, but I don't think I would ever pay that much for one of them. At $2100.00 for such a .308 rifle, you may as well get a match grade M1A/M14 or save up for a bit longer and get a .308 Dragunov (Chinese NDM-86).

• Like 1

$2100.00? I like AK style rifles, but I don't think I would ever pay that much for one of them. At $2100.00 for such a .308 rifle, you may as well get a match grade M1A/M14 or save up for a bit longer and get a .308 Dragunov (Chinese NDM-86).

If you payed attention to the ad, you would see that for $2100 you get the rifle and ACOG. ACOG alone is $1000. The rest $1100 is for rifle and is a good price for that conversion.

If you payed attention to the ad, you would see that for $2100 you get the rifle and ACOG. ACOG alone is $1000. The rest $1100 is for rifle and is a good price for that conversion.

I clearly made a mistake when I took someone else's word for the price instead of realizing that there was an expensive ACOG there, but personally, I still would not pay $1100 for a rifle like that when it does not offer huge advantages over the Saiga.

I clearly made a mistake when I took someone else's word for the price instead of realizing that there was an expensive ACOG there, but personally, I still would not pay $1100 for a rifle like that when it does not offer huge advantages over the Saiga.

I might pay 1100 for a Super VEPR in good condition (if I had money to buy more guns). They're supposed to be pretty accurate, and I think they're the best looking Kalashnikov variant. People pay more than that for standard M1A's, and that's largely paying for nostalgia (not that they're a bad rifle).

I wouldn't pay 1100 for one that was made to look like Bubba's Saiga conversion.

• Like 1

Absolutely. For that money one can get a nice sub-moa LR308

Whoa. I have seen those LR308's, but I do not know much about them. I never knew one could get a self-loading, sub-moa rifle for that price. I will definitely have to pick one of those up in the future.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I have a 21" Saiga 308 that shoots very well (like 1 1/2 and less groups).. I also have a 16" Hvy Bbl DPMS LR-308 that goes at 11/16"..

Cost on the DPMS was $996, cost on Saiga 308 (bare) was $439.. *have about $300 added on with brake, conversion parts, etc..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Whoa. I have seen those LR308's, but I do not know much about them. I never knew one could get a self-loading, sub-moa rifle for that price. I will definitely have to pick one of those up in the future.

You will not regret if you buy one.

I am a magazine whore therefore it was obviousI chose DPMS over ArmaLite. LR308 mags go for $15-20, AR10 go for $45-60.

Keep in mind, AR and LR main parts are not compatible.

I have a 21" Saiga 308 that shoots very well (like 1 1/2 and less groups).. I also have a 16" Hvy Bbl DPMS LR-308 that goes at 11/16"..

Not much difference in practical terms, eh? I take it that the AR is much more lighter and wieldy with the shorter barrel though. Is it still holding up perfect with reliability?

Edited by Jim Digriz