30 rounds mags N.Y.

I live and N.Y. and I just want to know exactly what do it need to do to make my gun legal to use 30 rounds magazine?

It has to be 922r compliant; 10 or less foreign parts from this list.

As the guy above me said....in NY, any mag over 10 rounds needs to be pre-ban, which is pretty easy to deal with when it comes to x39 AK mags. Not sure if you already knew that or not. Just figured I'd post that up, even if I'm pointing out the obvious.

• Like 1

Shooter is correct, you'll need to first comply with 922®. After that, You can use 30-round magazines that were manufactured before Sept. 13, 1994.

Some people in NY like to purchase East German magazines, because the GDR ceased to exist before 1994 and this fact is easily discernible.

As with anything, use your own discretion. A private gun club upstate will likely not give a shit about pre-ban magazines, but you may make a big stink at a public range downstate and garner yourself some unwanted attention from law enforcement who may not be very familiar with the law.

• Like 2

Shooter is correct, you'll need to first comply with 922®. After that, You can use 30-round magazines that were manufactured before Sept. 13, 1994.

Some people in NY like to purchase East German magazines, because the GDR ceased to exist before 1994 and this fact is easily discernible.

As with anything, use your own discretion. A private gun club upstate will likely not give a shit about pre-ban magazines, but you may make a big stink at a public range downstate and garner yourself some unwanted attention from law enforcement who may not be very familiar with the law.

+1 What classy said, theres a ton of east european surplus mags you can get in NY and most places stock em for <$20.

That depends on the store/ffl you're dealing with. A lot of stores around here are convinced that the rifle too must be pre-ban to use pre-ban magazines. Just order the pre-ban magazines.

I've heard this from more than one person who have had an encounter with a gunstore employee. Most of these guys will try to sell a preban rifle (ususally overpriced) over a NIB one, so they'll say hey if you want to use that 30rd AK mag you gotta pay $1400 for this preban AK or else its a nogo.

That depends on the store/ffl you're dealing with. A lot of stores around here are convinced that the rifle too must be pre-ban to use pre-ban magazines. Just order the pre-ban magazines.

Agreed. When I was in NY, I never once saw a local shop be able to (or willing to?) beat the online prices of pre-ban AK mags. No way in hell would I pay $15+ for a pre-ban AK mag, when I can get them for like $9-$10 online.

to use the 30's you must modify your saiga...which includes making it 922r compliant. I am in NY and use 30's in my converted Saiga's. if your worried about proving the mag was made before sept 1994..use chinese 30's they were banned from import in may of 1994. (yes I know they are coming back in as Chugo's) they are what they are.

local shows around WNY I have seen boxes of 30rnd AK mags for between $10 and $15 each.

hell I paid $7 a piece for my AK 30rnd mags...

Check copes?

I think some of mine were around the same. The most I paid was $14/mag, and that was only because I wanted some Hungarian Tanker mags, and didn't feel like waiting for searching for a better deal. AIM has had those same mags, on and off, for like $9. I love me some 20's.

Most of these online retailers will not ship to NY.

Copes does for sure. I did it when I was in NY. AIM says they will, if they can verify that they're pre-bans (easy enough for most steel AK mags). Besides retailers, I'd also be checking WTS ads, if I were still in NY and needing pre-ban mags.

Some online retailers will, just call and ask. You're not breaking any laws or being shady or something. WTS ads are a good source too. pretty much any surplus combloc magazine is going to be pre-ban. Even at the strict online range I use I've never even been questioned, and I live like 50 miles outside of NYC.