Front sight block conversion question

Is it possible to put a standard AK front sight block on a Saiga 308? I don't own a Saiga yet, but I know I will want to have it professionally converted when I do buy one. I've looked through all the pictures, but I don't see any AK front sight blocks on anyone's rifles. I would really like to put AK muzzle devices on the rifle once I get one.

I thought about putting an ak-74 brake on the front of mine, simply because of the ability to index the brake and not having to thread the barrel directly, but decided against it because the barrel would have to be turned down a lot, plus the holes for the pins are on the bottom as opposed to the top.

Is it possible to put a standard AK front sight block on a Saiga 308? I don't own a Saiga yet, but I know I will want to have it professionally converted when I do buy one. I've looked through all the pictures, but I don't see any AK front sight blocks on anyone's rifles. I would really like to put AK muzzle devices on the rifle once I get one.

That is because the S308 barrel is massively thick compared to a regular AK barrel.Literally they are either 17mm or 5/8in under the front sight base.An AK74 front sight base isn't even big enough to be a muzzle device for an S308. The trick is to modify your front sight base and move it back on pin space and thread the barrel either 17x1 or 5/8x24 depending on which manufacturing variation you have(remove the front sight base and measure with a dial caliper to find out).

I had mine turned down 14x1LH and it seemed terribly flimsy compared to the rest of the rifle so my newest build will be 5/8x24 instead since that diameter is already present under the front sight base.

There are significantly better muzzle devices than the AK74 units by the way.

If you are lucky enough to have the 5/8x24 measurement this is the best flash hider money can buy even for short barreled 308s

http://vtsupply.com/sog-armory-4-prong-flash-hider-ar10-308-dpms-thread-5620-p-446.html

Depends on what your looking for, that would make a great flash suppressor but offers no compensating qualities. I also enjoy the authentic look. The 74 brake (love mine) is a great brake just really loud for people shooting on static ranges.

That is because the S308 barrel is massively thick compared to a regular AK barrel.Literally they are either 17mm or 5/8in under the front sight base.An AK74 front sight base isn't even big enough to be a muzzle device for an S308. The trick is to modify your front sight base and move it back on pin space and thread the barrel either 17x1 or 5/8x24 depending on which manufacturing variation you have(remove the front sight base and measure with a dial caliper to find out).

I had mine turned down 14x1LH and it seemed terribly flimsy compared to the rest of the rifle so my newest build will be 5/8x24 instead since that diameter is already present under the front sight base.

There are significantly better muzzle devices than the AK74 units by the way.

If you are lucky enough to have the 5/8x24 measurement this is the best flash hider money can buy even for short barreled 308s

http://vtsupply.com/...5620-p-446.html

Edited by 1liter