Can someone convert my S308 for me?

I am all the way over in AZ, so I can't help you. But it isn't all that hard to do. Mine took me 4 or 5 hours to do. That was with me taking my time, looking things over and measuring twice. The S308 is one of the easier ones to do. A Dremel and hand drill is the most you need. A drill press helps, but a hand drill can fill in. The important thing to do is read the forums and do your research first.

Make to use the proper fire control group, the S308 needs an extra bump on the safety to properly work with the safety. I used the Red Star Arms Vepr 308. Dinzag Arms sells a converted Tapco G2 FCG that will work along with a bolt trigger guard (which I used).

Converting a Saiga Rifle or shotgun, requires you to comply with 922r compliance. Basically this means that you will have to swap out 4+ imported parts with 4+ USA made parts, so if you put a USA trigger, 3 parts, (mandatory to convert) and a USA made mag, 3 parts, this would be 6 parts alone... Just an FYI, you can not put the imported mag back on because it will be un-compliant..... You will also need a pistol grip and pistol grip nut as well....

So what I would do is to get a stock for it and you will be compliant at all times

Converting a Saiga Rifle or shotgun, requires you to comply with 922r compliance. Basically this means that you will have to swap out 4+ imported parts with 4+ USA made parts, so if you put a USA trigger, 3 parts, (mandatory to convert) and a USA made mag, 3 parts, this would be 6 parts alone... Just an FYI, you can not put the imported mag back on because it will be un-compliant..... You will also need a pistol grip and pistol grip nut as well....

So what I would do is to get a stock for it and you will be compliant at all times

That's a confusing way of saying it. What he means is, when you modify your rifle, you cannot have more then 10 foreign made parts on it.

:lolol:

I am in South Florida, i want my 308 converted but i dont think i have the skills (and tools too) to do the conversion myself.

Can someone here do it for me? Please pm me if you can help. Let me know how much and parts that i need to buy.

I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area, & I had Don, of Don's Guns in Ft Myers do mine a few years ago. He's a small 1 man shop, but his talents are well known here. He's usually at the Ft. Laud gunshow to accept or deliver new projects. He works on all types of guns. In my case he restored the gun, & shortened the barrel. Excellent work. PM me if you want his contact info. GARY N4KVE

It may be wise to give your approximate area, and an email address. Could have a guest member that has skills and is near by.

I'd offer to help, but I have not had a day off in almost six months. And I'm up by Daytona.

Just keep in mind that only a gunsmith or licensed manufacturer can do your conversion for you.

Normal users like myself can only offer to help you do your own conversion, you must be present the whole time.

Edit:

You should be ok with parts count with the factory magazine. FCG is three parts, stock is one part, pistol grip is irrelevant as you will likely add a US one anyway. So your parts count will be 10 with factory magazine which is compliant to the best of my understanding.

and both myself and uinta offer rebuild parts if you want. Mine do increase the 8 round mag to 10 and are tool less take down.

FYI, you can not put the imported mag back on because it will be un-compliant.....

Huh?

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

Let's see, 3 - 14 = 11 so this is not in compliance with 922r, I believe 922r states 10 or less and a trigger group has only 3, actually if you put a PG on (which you have to in order to replace the TG) this adds 1 extra part...

FYI, you can not put the imported mag back on because it will be un-compliant.....

Huh?

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.

Let's see, 3 - 14 = 11 so this is not in compliance with 922r, I believe 922r states 10 or less and a trigger group has only 3, actually if you put a PG on (which you have to in order to replace the TG) this adds 1 extra part...

I just read over your message again.

Most people convert using the FCG and at least 2 out of 3 pieces of U.S. furniture, in which case the foreign mag would still be OK.

Most people convert using the FCG and at least 2 out of 3 pieces of U.S. furniture, in which case the foreign mag would still be OK.

Edited:

Interesting, the only thing yellowcarbon covered was the FCG nothing else, and as far as I can see he was the only poster to this thread before I answered it properly......

Go figure.....

I misread your post, and you are right, unfortunately I have seen this is the past that people swap out the trigger group and add nothing else.....

Edited by 308saiga

Interesting, the only thing yellowcarbon covered was the FCG nothing else, and as far as I can see he was the only poster to this thread before I answered it properly......

Go figure.....

How can one convert a Saiga without a least changing the back furniture? (Yes, one could make it compliant with large cap mags without changing that back furniture, but the OP asked about conversion).

I didn't want the OP to have the misimpression that he couldn't use his factory mags after conversion.

How can one convert a Saiga without a least changing the back furniture? (Yes, one could make it compliant with large cap mags without changing that back furniture, but the OP asked about conversion).

I didn't want the OP to have the misimpression that he couldn't use his factory mags after conversion.

Look I am not trying to argue with you or anyone else, what does the stock have to do with a conversion? Nothing, you do not have to change the furniture to make the weapon compliant...

I too do not want to make things more difficult for him, this is why I stated that he would need to change 4 parts to make it compliant, and then I though about it again and since he would have to add the PG and it is not a compliant part to a Saiga rifle or shotgun it would be 5 parts needed to be changed out and not 4...

Another good point was Uinta Industries was to change the floor plate and follower in the original mag and it would then be compliant......

So instead of going to the entire spew of 922r compliance all I did was to state the facts that an X mount of parts would have to be changed to be compliant......

Enough said......

Edited by 308saiga