Where to buy a Saiga 5.45 now

Buy and build the saiga its a little more money but alot better gun the CAI guns are throw aways and don't last.

How do you think the Saigas compare with building an AK74 from a matching parts kit? How difficult is it to put the correct Russian folding stock on a converted Saiga 5.45?

atlantic firearms or carolina shooters supply try them

How would a converted Saiga 5.45 compare with an AK74 build such as the Bulgarian AK74s CAI sells?

The Bulgarian AK-74's built and sold by CAI use out of spec, non-chrome lined barrels. I have heard that these rifles sometimes have issues with keyholing. The Saiga needs a conversion, but it has a proper spec barrel that is chrome lined and does not have such keyholing issues.

• Like 1
The Bulgarian AK-74's built and sold by CAI use out of spec, non-chrome lined barrels. I have heard that these rifles sometimes have issues with keyholing. The Saiga needs a conversion, but it has a proper spec barrel that is chrome lined and does not have such keyholing issues.

I was considering CAI, Arsenal, some others before conversion, but original Russian Izhevsk-made chromed barrel (of known "true" 5.45 cal) and receiver on Saiga, plus freedom of choice in accessories won hands down.

I am so glad I went with Saiga conversion.

It's also great learning experience, as you leave no stone unturned and doing it all hands-on.

Since I built it, I have much better understanding of the rifle, than even after formal training and using it while in service.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

How would a converted Saiga 5.45 compare with an AK74 build such as the Bulgarian AK74s CAI sells?

I bought a CIA Polish Tantal American barrel when the Saiga 5.45 became difficult to find.

Was reluctant to shoot it because of all the key hole issues.

Finally took it to the range and the damn thing is as accurate as one could wish for.

With all the stock features on the Tantal,($400 otd) the Saiga 5.45 is on the back burner for now.

• Like 2

I emailed RAA about more 5.45's, the email said after getting past customs late this month, suppliers should have them the first maybe 2nd week of February. this was middle of January, cause I put $200 down on one from my local FFL dealer. I can't wait. I think I'm going to go with wood furniture once I get my tax return.

Edited by SpeedmanRC
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a CIA Polish Tantal American barrel when the Saiga 5.45 became difficult to find.

Was reluctant to shoot it because of all the key hole issues.

Finally took it to the range and the damn thing is as accurate as one could wish for.

With all the stock features on the Tantal,($400 otd) the Saiga 5.45 is on the back burner for now.

I'm replying to several posts. Where to buy a Saiga 5.45? I understand a fresh shipment has just arrived in Indianapolis and should be distributed pretty soon. Plan to get me one. I learned this from my friend Jay Gilbert at Gilberts Guns. Thre other posts concerning CAI Bulgarian ak74 and Polish Tantal are true. I bought the Bulgarian. WHAT A PEICE OF CRAP!!! 20 shots at 25 yards-10 inch group, 18 of the 20 were keyholes. I was Lucky the distributor let me exchange the gun. CAI will not They claim the 5.45 was designed to keyhole once it left the barrel therefore no refunds on keyholes. Reluctantly, I exchanged it for the CAI Polish Tandal. Timedly I benched it at 35 yards. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE - 20 SHOTS A LITTLE OVER 1/2 INCH NOT A SINGLE KEYHOLE!!!!!!!!!@!! I've since learned the first 2500 Tandals made were CRAPPIE. CAI got smart and started doing it right. My Tandal serial number is 39xx. I couldn't be happier. I'm still going to do a Saiga

Bump? As of February 16th, I can't find one anywhere :cryss:

People keep saying that there is some shipment that cleared customs some time ago, but I have yet to see anything concrete on its arrival. In the past, people were saying it would show up in February, now they are saying it will show up in March. I am still waiting on a Saiga 5.45 from this shipment.

I managed to snag a Saiga 5.45 awhile back from Atlantic Firearms. I see the Saiga 5.45 listed on their website, but you will have to contact them to see if it is in stock before ordering.

Bump? As of February 16th, I can't find one anywhere :cryss:

People keep saying that there is some shipment that cleared customs some time ago, but I have yet to see anything concrete on its arrival. In the past, people were saying it would show up in February, now they are saying it will show up in March. I am still waiting on a Saiga 5.45 from this shipment.

I managed to snag a Saiga 5.45 awhile back from Atlantic Firearms. I see the Saiga 5.45 listed on their website, but you will have to contact them to see if it is in stock before ordering.

Thanks for the info! And yes, I contacted them a few weeks ago but they were out of stock as well.

Yes, 5.45s are here and are being shipped to distributors!!! I have mine on order with Gilbert's Gun Shop (one of Saiga's distributors), 2282 Louisville Rd., Frankfort KY 40601, 502-227-7889. My 5.45 along with others will be at the shop next Friday, Feb 25. Jay Gilbert is taking orders for Saiga 5.45's now. He has Saiga 223's and 7.62X39's in stock and for sale now. Best wishes and good shooting to all. Ljutic Man.

I own two Saiga 5.45 sporters. I would also suggest Atlantic Firearms Interarms IAC 74s. If you guys have the extra money and don't want to hassle with doing alot of modifications later on, they are very high quality builds for the money.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct949.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct950.aspx

I own two Saiga 5.45 sporters. I would also suggest Atlantic Firearms Interarms IAC 74s. If you guys have the extra money and don't want to hassle with doing alot of modifications later on, they are very high quality builds for the money.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct949.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct950.aspx

I've heard nothing but good things about the IAC AKs. That was actually my back-up plan if i wasn't able to get the Saiga. I like how well equipped they are (brake, surplus poly furniture, etc).