bolt support not traveling back far enough

not sure if this is the right section to post.

I'm new to Saiga shotguns and am having trouble getting the bolt support all the way back. It seems to stop about an inch and half away from being fully open no matter how hard I pull. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help, nick.

Thank you guys for the help, the guide bushing was rusted to the guide rod. I assumed that when I pulled the bolt support (carrier?) and it stopped that it wasn't supposed to go any further. It wasn't until I tried loading it for the first time that I realized there was a problem. I bought the shotgun "new" from Carolina's Shooters supply about a week ago and didn't test it until today. The internals seemed awfully rusty for being a new gun. Is that normal for new saigas?

Thank you guys for the help, the guide bushing was rusted to the guide rod. I assumed that when I pulled the bolt support (carrier?) and it stopped that it wasn't supposed to go any further. It wasn't until I tried loading it for the first time that I realized there was a problem. I bought the shotgun "new" from Carolina's Shooters supply about a week ago and didn't test it until today. The internals seemed awfully rusty for being a new gun. Is that normal for new saigas?

This is very unusual for CSS, post pics and let them know about this. They'll fix it.

I am sure CSS will make it right. These things come over in ships on a salt water ocean, so "defecation may occur". Yours is not typical , last time I saw something like that was when I bought a $99 "rusty Romy" parts kit. That said, the rusty parts kit made an excellent shooter, no problems but i did scrub the parts with Iron Out and a tooth brush in a bucket of hot water.

I'm sure he will... is this a common problem though?

No.

This one spent a while bare & it got a tiny bit of darkening on the barrel and gas tube, but nothing anywhere else.

The inside of the receiver was naked for a year & no oxidation occurred.

2s1.jpg

There are however, coming to light, some inconsistencies in the very steel it's self, going back to the manufacturing process in some rare firearms.

The rust on your BHO really is interesting.

The one on the firearm pictured above has been bare ever since I got it. Not polished, bare.

And I have never treated it with oil or anything else. It's never shown any signs of rust whatsoever.

I would be quite interested to know what other's results have been.

On the other hand, depending on what chemical process they used to prep the firearm in Russia, it could contribute to browning, but your rust looks to be deeper that I've ever seen.

I spoke with Greg from CSS and he referred me to the importer Russian American Armory. They said that the manufacturer may have forgot to treat the shotgun before shipping it. RAA told me to ship it back and they'll replace it. Shipping it tomorrow and will keep you guys updated.

Edited by naj720
  • 2 weeks later...