Will I need a 5.45 bullet guide

So on other forums I've read that you don't need a bullet guide on others they say you do, then I thought why am I asking these jokers when I should just pop over to the Saiga forum and hit those guys up I bet they could help me out. I plan on picking up about 6 Surplus Bulgarian and Russian AK74 30 round mags. Don't mind if I will have to do the guide but if I don't have to well less money I need to spend. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by CZwolf

I have a 5.45 I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I have three Bulgarian mags they shoot 29 bullets perfect and for some reason they jam on the last bullet in the mag. I will be installing a bullet guide to see if it helps. My advice to you is to shoot it and see what happens, then go from there.

It's easy to make your own, you should go for it just make sure you get it sized right so your bolt will cam.

I've made a few. I made a brass one and decided it was too soft and started with steel pipe after that.

I'd drill all the way through the trunion and put a locknut on the botton. Tapping = meh, not to mention I have broken a tap in a trunion before. I got lucky because the tap held the bullet guide down so I just left it. Lol.

I got this deal on mags from Centerfire and shot 120 rounds through my Saiga 5.45 and had not one problem with a jam, fail to feed, etc. The only problem was the gun got super hot! Also these mags straight from Centerfire.com locked into my Saiga and WOULD NOT release from the mag catch. I had to take a flat head screw driver and wedge the mag out from the mag catch. I fixed the problem with these mags in less than 5 minutes and a dremel. I had to grind off the underside part of the mag that allows it to lock into place (don't know the technical term). If you order them and they lock in your rifle as mine did, I'll post pics on where to exactly grind the mags.

• 2 weeks later...

The first few rounds I put through mine with bulgarian 30 rd mag jammed up hardcore. It looks like mine is going to have to have the bullet guide installed. Fortunately it's on order from Dinzag and en route as you read this post. Not looking forward to tapping that hole out, but hey, I want it to work so I've no choice.

My two 5.45x39 rifles worked fine with 30 rd mags when I tested them. I did get 2 bullet guides from CSS (best price and fastest shipping) though that I will install when the weather warms up enough to work in my garage where the drill press is.

Edited by Mak

Got my bullet guide in the mail and will install before next time out.

Like Rangerguy I have experienced a few last round jams. I probably got 600+ rounds through her and about 6 last round jams. Not in one particular mag or ammo type either.

One jam is too many.

I installed a CSS one in one of my two 5.45x39 rifles yesterday. Took about 10 minutes to complete. Now should I sell the 10 round mags or modify them to fit? One my 7.62x39 rifles with Dinzag bullet guides the original mags fit with no modification. Any market for the 10 round mags to ban states?

I installed a CSS one in one of my two 5.45x39 rifles yesterday. Took about 10 minutes to complete. Now should I sell the 10 round mags or modify them to fit? One my 7.62x39 rifles with Dinzag bullet guides the original mags fit with no modification. Any market for the 10 round mags to ban states?

modify to fit, then modify to make them 15 rounders like I did.

modify to fit, then modify to make them 15 rounders like I did.

Didn't think about modifying them to 15 rounds. Did that to about 10 Chinese 10 round mags in .223 once but sold that rifle. I really need some 5 round 5.45x39 mags, might have to modify and block them for hunting mags. I have one Romanian 5 round mag but had to modify it to get it to fit my Arsenal SLR-105R, wouldn't lock in. Got plenty of 30 rounders. Have a Bulgarian .223 5 round waffle mag that works with 4 rounds of 5.45x39 so it will be my hunting mag for now.

Installed another bullet guide in the other 5.45x39 Saiga yesterday. Broke the tap, first time that has happened to me installing bullet guides in four rifles. Luckily I was able to reverse it with needle nose pliers and get the broken tap out, bought a new tap and got it threaded and bullet guide installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and a couple Kaliforniastan residents might be interested in the next couple of weeks. Three of my friends want to buy and convert Saiga 5.45x39's and we are all having a hell of a time finding 10 round mags.

Me and a couple Kaliforniastan residents might be interested in the next couple of weeks. Three of my friends want to buy and convert Saiga 5.45x39's and we are all having a hell of a time finding 10 round mags.

I have two of the 5.45x39 mags and 4 or more of the 7.62x39 mags. K-VAR has 10 round AK-74 mags but they are charging $45.00 each which is crazy.

So on other forums I've read that you don't need a bullet guide on others they say you do, then I thought why am I asking these jokers when I should just pop over to the Saiga forum and hit those guys up I bet they could help me out. I plan on picking up about 6 Surplus Bulgarian and Russian AK74 30 round mags. Don't mind if I will have to do the guide but if I don't have to well less money I need to spend. Thanks in advance guys.

[/quote

I'm pretty sure you already did but just in case.....................Did you check and see if you don't already have a bullet guide? Most of the mill spec AK's come with em.

I was out firing my Saiga 5.45 today, and I had a single failure to feed, which is one too many for an AK. I will be installing my CSS bullet guide once I get my hands on a tap handle.

What is it that one has to file again to get surplus mags working with a bullet guide? Something on the mag catch? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I was out firing my Saiga 5.45 today, and I had a single failure to feed, which is one too many for an AK. I will be installing my CSS bullet guide once I get my hands on a tap handle.

What is it that one has to file again to get surplus mags working with a bullet guide? Something on the mag catch? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think what you are referring to is the little lip on the back of the mags... You need to take a dremel grinding cone or cylinder and take a few passes over the BOTTOM of the lip until you feel comfortable about the catch and release of the mags.

The pic shows the part to grind on the mag

post-31038-0-93910300-1300071204_thumb.jpg