Removing 308 FSB

Just took off my FSB with a manual press I threw together. It work so well I just have to share it with you folks.

It was made from parts I had laying around from being a collector of stuff for many years. The Item I used as a backing block is an old cooper tube flaring tool that I bought many years ago. I use a step drill to bore it out and it was a nice fit under the sight and around the barrel. The only other thing I used which is not shown is the copper disk used under the bolt to protect the barrel muzzle. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to copy any of interest.

To operate you take the top bar off. Place the sight through the slot in the bottom bar and install the backer around and close the wing nut. Drop the copper disc onto the muzzle. Place the top bar into position. Secure the two threaded rods in place and hand tighten the nuts. Keep the bars Parallel with each other while removing the sight. The center bolt that rest against the muzzle is left short on purpose during the initial pressing to provide strength, then after the sight moves down to just about were the nut touches the sight I lengthen it and complete the press off. You tighten the two nuts on the threaded rods to push the barrel out of the sight base. Might add I used a longer rod in the center hole to get the sight completely off.

Got questions, hopefully I will have an answer.

Thanks for looking and hope this helps others.

Don (brokenfeather)

post-5414-0-94352500-1296580491_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-66800300-1296580523_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-09192300-1296580557_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-10185800-1296580594_thumb.jpg

post-5414-0-99349400-1296580622_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nicely done. I was just at Harbor Freight today, looking at pulley pullers to see if I could rig something to accomplish the same task. Did your sight begin moving right away, or did you have to "pop" it first? I've removed my pins and wailed on the rear of the sight base with a plastic, and then a brass, hammer. Mine laughed at me.

Nicely done. I was just at Harbor Freight today, looking at pulley pullers to see if I could rig something to accomplish the same task. Did your sight begin moving right away, or did you have to "pop" it first? I've removed my pins and wailed on the rear of the sight base with a plastic, and then a brass, hammer. Mine laughed at me.

There was an initial pop, then it required what I would consider not much pressure to take it the rest of the way off.

I'm sure glad I came up with this process. I wasn't real keen on banging on the back of the base. It was more controlled and actually quite easy. It will probably turn out the be the easiest part of the putting on the brake. I have to turn down the barrel then thread it. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to back bore the base or send it off to Dinzag and let him do it. I need to get some information from him before I can make my decision. Hoping to thread it to 5/8 24 and install a good quality brake to tame it a bit.

What you planning to do to yours if I may be so bold as to ask?

Later

Don

There was an initial pop, then it required what I would consider not much pressure to take it the rest of the way off.

I'm sure glad I came up with this process. I wasn't real keen on banging on the back of the base. It was more controlled and actually quite easy. It will probably turn out the be the easiest part of the putting on the brake. I have to turn down the barrel then thread it. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to back bore the base or send it off to Dinzag and let him do it. I need to get some information from him before I can make my decision. Hoping to thread it to 5/8 24 and install a good quality brake to tame it a bit.

What you planning to do to yours if I may be so bold as to ask?

Later

Don

I have the 22" barrel, so I've considered a few options. One involves leaving the barrel length as is and having the end turned down and threaded to accept a brand new milled front sight base and a 14x1 LH M60 style flash hider. With this option, I'd get furniture to mimic a Yugoslavian M76 - I love the looks of those, but not crazy about the 8mm round or the cost of the rifles. Option #2 involves having the barrel cut to 18.5", then turned down for the same milled sight base and 14x1 threads.

I have the 22" barrel, so I've considered a few options. One involves leaving the barrel length as is and having the end turned down and threaded to accept a brand new milled front sight base and a 14x1 LH M60 style flash hider. With this option, I'd get furniture to mimic a Yugoslavian M76 - I love the looks of those, but not crazy about the 8mm round or the cost of the rifles. Option #2 involves having the barrel cut to 18.5", then turned down for the same milled sight base and 14x1 threads.

Sounds like you are still considering you options. Don't hurry into it. Its hard to add barrel on after you cut it off. Either way it will give you something to be proud of.

Don