Hey guys...just wondering, after watching this video if the barrel of ANY pump shotgun can be ported like this to "reduce recoil". Or like he talks about in the video, help tighten your pattern, even a little bit. He starts talking about the barrel "holes" as he says, at 2:27 so you can skip ahead. Can I (with the right tools of course) drill holes in the barrel of my 870 to help the felt reduce recoil or anything or is just something that people "believe in" and no actual facts to prove it. Also, if this can be done, is drilling at a rearward angle best? Sorry if this is a dumb set of questions and if any1 got the thought that I was stupid enough to just go and drill holes in my barrel, lol. This is why I am asking for some knowledge on the matter. Thanks ahead of time.

http://firearms.atactv.com/index.cfm?event=home.index

Okay, I just realized the video just takes you to the site. Not specifically to the video I am referencing. If you want to see it, go to "All categories" for firearms on the bottom menu, then the set of video's "Shotgun basic training which is 6th from the top and 4th from the bottom on the far right column, then go to the 3rd video "shotgun choke options" on the right. Sorry if this is confusing as it can not be directly linked to. Also, again, the part of the vid I am referring to is 2:27. Thanks

Edited by JJ the GUN MAN

Porting, brakes, etc aren't as effective on shotguns as they are on rifles because of the pressure shotgun shells generate. You may see some effect but not a huge difference. A good recoil pad will do more for you.

Cool. I use a Pachmyer Decelerator which is ohhh sooo soft and rubbery. It is nice. Just wondered if this was worth my time thinking about or not. Are there ANY downsides to it?

pachmayr_decelerator_slip-on_pad.jpg

And yes Gun Fanatic, something exactly like that..on a pump or double like that pic.

Edited by JJ the GUN MAN
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, there is a downside with porting, particularly muzzle brakes as well.

1. Don't plan on shooting the gun at night. Fire will fly out those ports

and you will see a split second of the plains of Hell, then you won't

be able to see anything for a few minutes.

2. Porting, but more emphatically muzzle brakes, make the gun, to use

a technical term, LOUDER THAN FUCK. All that blast gas, along with flame, is also

the sound wave, and part of IT gets redirected too, back at you, and your buddies

off to the side. I knew a guy, sighted in a 270 with a muzzle brake. Shot 10 times

without hearing protection, now cannot hear a watch alarm beep. Maybe he would be that

bad without the brake, but I shoot deer with no earplugs (targets and everything else gets

plugs) and I have shot much more than 10 over time. Granted, it's spread out, too, but I have

no hearing loss that I or tests can tell.

My advice, pad that thing and put a towel over your shoulder.