I used a can of High heat BBQ paint from the local Home Depot. It matches excellent, is flat semi textured black, and seems to be wearing great. A can costs under 5 bucks and would paint 10 saigas at least.

Will it withstand the heat?

Use the duplicolor low gloss black .Matches as well as one could ask for in a rattle can.

You are welcome, they look minty! You know, I have about 4 magazines that I use for the range and the rest I keep in storage. I would keep those beauties in storage! shoot the ugly ones....

Those are the only 2 steel mags I have. I have 2 polymer mags, I might just tell my wife to let me buy some more mags to beat up :lolol:

What about KG K-Phos? It's a cold phosphating treatment marketed by the people who make Gun Kote specifically to be used as a paint substrate.

I've decided to try Moly Resin with a KPhos base. My understanding is that you need to blast down to bare metal for it to work properly. I tried out the sandblasting on my brake first and it came out great. If you're not interested in blasting it, then you may want to stick with the Duplicolor.

IMHO, Saigas benefit from a nice, fresh coat of paint as part of the conversion process. I've had good success with the flat black Krylon (sp?) along with the high heat types. I've shot a lot of rounds in quick succession and never had a paint problem (even bumped fired a mag or two here and there). Good luck!

I used vht high temp header paint, which is suppose to withstand very high heat, i used a flat black, and just painted the receiver and barrel, turned out not to bad, my rifle had some wear and scratches all over the receiver, but i might have it sand blasted and painted the right way.

here is what i did when i did my conversion, i ended up painting a lot more that just the bottom receiver, once i got it together i noticed it didn't look right, so im going to take it to a local gun smith where the also paint guns with the good stuff, they also do digital camo paints and other stuff, they had a few ar-15's on the wall with there paint jobs and they look sic.

2011-02-08193929.jpg

2011-02-08223746.jpg sorry about this pic being so blurry, was hard holding the gun with one hand and then taking the pic with my cell phone, but hope this helps a little.

Edited by brad8401

I'm waiting for the Brownell's Aluma-Hyde to cure on the bottom of the rifle I'm doing now. Put it on a bit thick which slows down the epoxy cure. Color is pretty close (not exact). It is supposed to be tough stuff. Curious to see how it holds up to the Gunzilla I use, none of the other touch up paints had a chance.

Eventually I will have to try duracoat.

Yah, the Dura coat is nice I hear. The company that started it is about 45 mins from my house across the border in wi. The company is Lauer custom weaponry. may go that route. Not sure yet. Just painted mine tonight and it turned out really good. All my conversion parts will be here tomorrow so I thought I would get a jump on it tonight. So when I get home tomorrow I can assemble :)