Is a dragunov stock on a 16 inch AK retarded?

I think it is but that is what my teenager wants. Am I being too critical or is it an abomination where form does not follow function. To me an AK is a run and gun gun not a sniper tool.

Just let him have it. He'll get sick of it eventually and change it. Until then, let him enjoy the coolness of it.

I think it is but that is what my teenager wants. Am I being too critical or is it an abomination where form does not follow function.

Sheesh, it's not like he told you he's gay or something.

That being said, it may be fine for other people, but not my bag personally.

I'd tend to agree with your "run and gun" theory. Those stocks look too breakable in that role, and make a mockery of the AK's reputation for indestructibility.

Edited by Dudethebagman

Just tell your son there are freedom-starved people in California who would love to have a pistol grip.

There's nothing inherently "sniper" about the Dragunov-style stock anyway. The design is a compromise because of the shape of the Dragunov receiver's back end. Not that rational discussion has a tendency to penetrate the minds of teenagers. I say let him have his thumbhole, allow him to show his cool gun online, and let Internet peer pressure do the rest.

• Like 1

Form follows function. DO not add retardasity at the expense of function.... :haha:

Exactly what function is being compromised with the PSL-style stock?

It is not as friendly to left handed dad and kid brother.

Edited by rocinante

It is not as friendly to left handed dad and kid brother.

I was able to use it from either shoulder.

The primary drawbacks of it are:

- too heavy. Weighs 10 more ounces than K-Var buttstock and pistol grip combo. Might be good in counterbalancing a long-barreled/front heavy AK though.

- grip too thick. I couldn't manipulate the safety lever with the back of my hand still around the pistol grip.

He's a teenager? Oh, this should be easy. Look, just tell him that you would really prefer it if he would use the dragunov stock because it reminds you of the way his grand dad had his weapon set up. Also, that's what all the old guys at the range use because it's easier on their arthritic wrists. He should have that things off of there in a matter of seconds.:cryss:

If you want to manipulate an adolescent boy, or any human male over age five for that matter, just make sure that the discouraged choice is plainly unmanly. Examples:

"Sorry, son. The only Dragunov stock I could find is sparkly and pink. And yes, those ribbons are standard issue."

"This is my son's rifle. I gave him the Dragunov-style stock because the extra weight will help absorb recoil until he builds up some muscles."

"I know how much you like Justin Bieber, so I've engraved his face into your new stock's cheekpiece!"

"You'll always be my son. I love you no matter what stock-orientation you are."

I solved the problem in pure dad dictatorial fashion. I ordered a century vz2008, their cheap vz58. He wanted wood furniture. I sold last night for 300 the yugo SKS that was designated as "his" and the vz was 379 so all in all he got upgraded I think.

because it reminds you of the way his grand dad had his weapon set up.

that would be a backfire to me. had i been told that, i would have used it and never considered an alternate on that rifle. maybe the next though. :rolleyes:

Form follows function. DO not add retardasity at the expense of function.... :haha:

Exactly what function is being compromised with the PSL-style stock?

It has the following characteristics which compromise function:

-Weight

-Lack of ability for thumb to create a full seal

-Lack of compartment for cleaning kit

-Awkward placement of second finger (the one under the trigger finger sits to far away from the trigger on Romanian thumbhole stocks)

There are probably a lot of other reasons, but I can think of them off the top of my head.

To each their own, retards included. Not an actual snipers gun,it's only a 7.62x39 but it suit's my purposes.

The butt stock is now 3/16" longer than a stock Saiga's. Works fine left or right handed.

Not sure about sights/scope yet. Current sight radius is 4"longer than stock Saiga.

1000538y.jpg

• Like 1

I want to formally apologize to any that took offense to my not liking the dragunov stock. I am one that loves to customize and "improve" EVERYTHING be it my car, my motorcycles, my guns. I know for a fact that my tastes and opinions are suspect and not the be all end all. Not everybody would hard chrome a P1 pistol. Even fewer would put rattlesnake covered grips on a S&W 915. Don't ask about what I did to the inside of my mustang. Who fuel injects a 350cc thumper? Ich bin a retard. I admit. A pissing contest may initially leave you with a warm tingly feeling but in the end you are all wet and stinky.

Edited by rocinante

I will admit those stocks look much better than what my kid was eyeballing.

slostang where are you at in Georgia? Bet my stang is slower being I bent an axle shaft. It was gloriously stupid but fun doing it :)

That sucks but its an easy fix. I guess mine is decent for a bolt-on / gear / tune setup. I'm down in mcdonough.

It has the following characteristics which compromise function:

-Weight

That doesn't really compromise function. Besides, as said before, it can be useful for counterbalancing a long barrel. But I do prefer something more lightweight myself.

-Lack of compartment for cleaning kit

Give up one feature, get another in return. Instead of a cleaning kit compartment, the spring loaded buttplate gives recoil reduction. My K-Var buttstocks won't eject the cleaning kit most of the time anyways.

-Lack of ability for thumb to create a full seal

-Awkward placement of second finger (the one under the trigger finger sits to far away from the trigger on Romanian thumbhole stocks)

Well, I didn't realize notice either of those. I do find the grip too fat though. But none of these things make it a decisively bad stock.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

I'm one of 4 people in the US that can tolerate the Romy "PSL" butt that comes with some WASRs. Take a Dremel and a sanding drum to the p-grip portion and "make it your own"; be surprised how it can turn out. Then stain and top-coat. They work just fine and add to the overall low-bucks, inflation-fighter approach to AKM ownership.

As an aside, I swapped my PolyTech AKS-762 "SP" thumbhole for NOS PolyTech wood not because it was uncomfortable or nasty, but just because I wanted to make sure I had PolyTech furniture before it completely dissappeared.

To each his own.

• Like 1