Can the HK style sights be made at home?

Yes, you can do it at home.

I attach my sights with silver solder and then fill the gaps with JB Weld to make a smooth transition from the sight to the area it's attached to.

I'm about to make two sets for the two S-12s I just bought. If you still have those MD drums we might be able to work something out for one of them :)

Email me at bobadebt@ec.rr.com for my number and if you want to discuss it.

RaceGun03.jpg

Yes, you can do it at home.

I attach my sights with silver solder and then fill the gaps with JB Weld to make a smooth transition from the sight to the area it's attached to.

I'm about to make two sets for the two S-12s I just bought. If you still have those MD drums we might be able to work something out for one of them :)

Email me at bobadebt@ec.rr.com for my number and if you want to discuss it.

RaceGun03.jpg

Do you have any pictures of how you mount the front sight? And what is involved when using silver solder?

Edited by Rickj427

RaceGunQR02.jpg

It's just like regular soldering except you need a hotter torch.

I might do a tutorial when I do my other S-12s.

Do you cut the front sight around where the red line is or where the blue line is? The kit that is sold by MAA shows a sight cut about where the blue line is. I couldn't tell from your picture where you made the cut. If you posted a tutorial that would be great!

g3 sight.bmp

Edited by Rickj427

FWIW

Tony, and others, have posted about backing up the front sight somewhat in order to avoid warping the threads where the gas plug goes in.

Good luck

Harv

Indeed, if there is any question about being able to weld something that thin without distortion you should follow that helpful advice.

I even chose to play it safe and bring that particular job to a welder with more expirience than myself.

And if you do feel the need to tackle that job, keep the heat down, way down, and use some MIG wire to TIG it. Most standard tig wire is too thick for that job IMHO.