? for SOPMOD

SOPMOD or to anyone else who may have similar rifle. I love the idea of what done to his 308, cutting the barrel to 18inch and adding the old school laminate furniture. I've watched your video of your 308 and saw were you had posted pictures in the sticky, but they are no longer showing. Any updates on the rifles progression and possible pixs. Or again anyone with a similar progect.

I just traded this rifle for a nice quantity of 1oz silver coins

ReasorsSept053.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkz4aXIiDg

The rifle was a tad finicky with low powered ammo and demanded a heavy diet of 308 Winchester commercial pressure ammo to run right. I initially thought it had something to do with the barrel being cut down but apparently the gas block was ever so slightly stretched during the pressing on and off several times and has a tiny bit of blow by. This could easily be fixed but the fellow that I traded it to bought it because it was quite accurate for an AK and he doesn't want to change anything beyond sticking a low siderail mount and a scope on it.I resused the original trigger guard tucked behind the factory mag release and used a reamed RPK handguard retainer with shims to account for the taper of the S308 barrel profile and a standard drift cut across the top of the barrel to affix the RPK handguard retainer. It was turned and threaded to 14x1LH at the muzzle and the FSB reamed to the barrel diameter and the pin holes redrilled on a milling machine for 1/8in pin stock. I used a modified AK74 handguard retainer. a laminated RPK forend and an old black banded laminated buttstock. I sanded the front hump off of the RPK forend and affixed a sling swivel stuck for use with a Harris Bipod.This rifle was hoveing between 1.20-1.98in with commercial ammo and a hair over 2in with port milsurp.

I have begun a new project with yet another long barreled S308 but I have not determined if I will cut it down as much this time because I fancy the idea of using an Eotech with the XR308 reticle which is calibrated for LC M2 ball out of a long M240G barrel and any velocity loss might negatively affect the BDC matching between the rifle and the optic.

Saiga308001.jpg

The brown uppper handguard is temporary and will be replaced with a new matching US unit that Dinzag had laying around in a day or two.

Modified RSA Adjustable Trigger

Modified AK74 Gas Tube

Modified K-Var AK100 Forend and std buttstock

Custom hard rubber grip(cut and carved by me)

Dinzag bolt on handguard retainer

Bulgarian AK74 trigger guard

US gas piston

Texas AK Triggers Retainer Plate

This rifle is 5/8x24 under the FSB and will be cut back past the taper,recrowned and threaded for use with an

SEI AR10 Muzzle Brake(same port design as their USCG M14 Compensator)

SOG AR10 4 prong Flash Hider

I am also seriously contemplating the Texas Weapons Sytems Gen 2 mount as shown on TowerofPower93's rifle shown here

IMG_0208.jpg

He had an issue with the bolt carrier beating the snot out of the rear retainer/latch but

if that has been redesigned and fixed to his satisfaction then that is the setup destined for my latest Saiga 308

This will make the 3rd Saiga 308 that I have converted and the 4th Saiga 308 I have owned(got talked out of a 16in by a buddy before I got to convert it).

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 1

I just traded this rifle for a nice quantity of 1oz silver coins

ReasorsSept053.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVkz4aXIiDg

The rifle was a tad finicky with low powered ammo and demanded a heavy diet of 308 Winchester commercial pressure ammo to run right. I initially thought it had something to do with the barrel being cut down but apparently the gas block was ever so slightly stretched during the pressing on and off several times and has a tiny bit of blow by. This could easily be fixed but the fellow that I traded it to bought it because it was quite accurate for an AK and he doesn't want to change anything beyond sticking a low siderail mount and a scope on it.I resused the original trigger guard tucked behind the factory mag release and used a reamed RPK handguard retainer with shims to account for the taper of the S308 barrel profile and a standard drift cut across the top of the barrel to affix the RPK handguard retainer. It was turned and threaded to 14x1LH at the muzzle and the FSB reamed to the barrel diameter and the pin holes redrilled on a milling machine for 1/8in pin stock. I used a modified AK74 handguard retainer. a laminated RPK forend and an old black banded laminated buttstock. I sanded the front hump off of the RPK forend and affixed a sling swivel stuck for use with a Harris Bipod.This rifle was hoveing between 1.20-1.98in with commercial ammo and a hair over 2in with port milsurp.

I have begun a new project with yet another long barreled S308 but I have not determined if I will cut it down as much this time because I fancy the idea of using an Eotech with the XR308 reticle which is calibrated for LC M2 ball out of a long M240G barrel and any velocity loss might negatively affect the BDC matching between the rifle and the optic.

Saiga308001.jpg

The brown uppper handguard is temporary and will be replaced with a new matching US unit that Dinzag had laying around in a day or two.

Modified RSA Adjustable Trigger

Modified AK74 Gas Tube

Modified K-Var AK100 Forend and std buttstock

Custom hard rubber grip(cut and carved by me)

Dinzag bolt on handguard retainer

Bulgarian AK74 trigger guard

US gas piston

Texas AK Triggers Retainer Plate

This rifle is 5/8x24 under the FSB and will be cut back past the taper,recrowned and threaded for use with an

SEI AR10 Muzzle Brake(same port design as their USCG M14 Compensator)

SOG AR10 4 prong Flash Hider

I am also seriously contemplating the Texas Weapons Sytems Gen 2 mount as shown on TowerofPower93's rifle shown here

IMG_0208.jpg

He had an issue with the bolt carrier beating the snot out of the rear retainer/latch but

if that has been redesigned and fixed to his satisfaction then that is the setup destined for my latest Saiga 308

This will make the 3rd Saiga 308 that I have converted and the 4th Saiga 308 I have owned(got talked out of a 16in by a buddy before I got to convert it).

Nice looking mags! :smoke: