Brief Range Report

Got to spend most of the day shooting. Two feet of snow, about 20 degrees, little wind, a great day for shooting. Sighted in my 20" 7.62x39 at 50 yards to get things started. Using a KonusPro 3-10x44 and shooting the FMJ Uly from Wally World. Shooting prone from the bed of a pickup (can't really lay down in two feet of snow) off a UTG bipod.

Moved back to 100 yards and shot some groups. My rifle has never grouped particularly well, thus average size of five shots were probably around 5 inches. I blame this on three things: firstly my poor shooting, secondly my rifle, and thirdly my horribly gritty and terrible G2 trigger. Excuses aside, it was fun.

Moved back to around 300 yards (forgot the rangefinder at home) and shot at an 18" steel plate. Was striking the plate around 4 times out of each 5 shots. I think the misses were due largely to my lack of trigger control. Sped things up a little bit and was firing about one round per second. I maintained about a 4 out of 5 hit percentage which really surprised me. I didn't shoot groups from 300 yards due to the sun setting and lack of sufficient lighting.

All in all, it was a great day. I had a ton of fun plinking the steel plate at 300, especially with the quicker rate of fire.

The icing on the cake was that my buddy, shooting his brand-new Stag AR-15 experienced three failures-to-fire. Before we packed up, I took one of my loaded mags, threw it down in the snow, packed as much snow into it as I could and inserted it into my rifle. Charged the bolt and *bang* *bang* *bang* fired every round in the mag. The look I got to shoot him was worth the price of detail cleaning all that water out of the receiver (not that I had to).

A precision weapon my rifle is not, but a dead reliable minute-of-man fun machine...absolutely. I'm so glad I found this site and you guys convinced me (without even knowing it) to buy one of these rifles.

(No, I don't have any photos. Heavy snow and truck tires throwing snow and dirt everywhere isn't a friendly place for electronics, so I left it at home.)

Edit: I have an additional side mount scope rail on order which I was hoping would come before today so I could test out my Primary Arms M3 red dot. It didn't come so I didn't get to shoot with it at all. It looks nice sitting on my desk though and makes me feel cool pointing it at various things around the house...

Hopefully it'll be in soon and I'll get a range report from that.

Edited by jbrubaker
  • Like 1