WA State - May fix suppressor law

WA State is trying to fix the silly suppressor law, aka you can own it, but go to jail if you send a bullet through it suppressor law.

HB1016-2011 & SB5112-2011

So far so good, it is getting good feedback, people are mainly for it, even law enforcement agencies are for fixing it...

They are for it because LEA are NOT exempt, they break the law too when they use suppressors...

So if you're in WA State, get on the horn and bug your local and State .gov zombie and get them on board...

Thanks

I don't know if you saw my last post on this subject or not but even as the law stands now the AG has issued an opinion in writing that indicates that unless a suppressor is used in a crime the law is virtually unenforceable anyway. What brought this to a head was the noise abatement issue at my local gun club. Of course, changing the law is even better so this is good news.

Anyway passed the house 88-4, 6 exempt, just about 90% of the house is FOR fixing it.

Pretty much every WA State rep needs to be contacted..

This is now moving to the Senate, then if favorable, Queen G takes a stab at it.

I have called and expressed my support for Senate bill 5112...maybe i will call again tomorrow.

So I don't forget the number.

Senator Michael Baumgartner

® 6th LEGISLATIVE DISTRICT

Olympia Office:

201 Irv Newhouse Building

PO Box 40406

Olympia, WA 98504-0406

(360) 786-7610

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

HB 1016

Firearm noise suppressors

House vote on Final Passage

2/7/2011

Yeas: 88 Nays: 4 Absent: 0 Excused: 6

Voting Yea: Representatives Ahern, Alexander, Angel, Armstrong, Asay, Bailey, Billig, Blake, Buys, Carlyle, Chandler, Clibborn, Cody, Condotta, Crouse, Dahlquist, Dammeier, DeBolt, Dickerson, Dunshee, Fagan, Finn, Fitzgibbon, Frockt, Goodman, Green, Haigh, Haler, Hargrove, Harris, Hasegawa, Hinkle, Hope, Hunt, Hurst, Jacks, Jinkins, Johnson, Kagi, Kelley, Kenney, Kirby, Klippert, Kretz, Kristiansen, Ladenburg, Liias, Lytton, Maxwell, McCoy, McCune, Miloscia, Moeller, Morris, Moscoso, Nealey, Orcutt, Ormsby, Orwall, Overstreet, Parker, Pearson, Pedersen, Pettigrew, Probst, Reykdal, Rivers, Roberts, Rolfes, Ross, Ryu, Santos, Seaquist, Sells, Shea, Schmick, Short, Stanford, Sullivan, Takko, Taylor, Tharinger, Van De Wege, Walsh, Warnick, Wilcox, Zeiger, and Mr. Speaker

Voting Nay: Representatives Darneille, Hudgins, Hunter, and Springer

Absent:

Excused: Representatives Anderson, Appleton, Eddy, Rodne, Smith, and Upthegrove

It looks like House Bill 1016 passed. It's on to the senate, then to the Governor.

It looks like the Senate bill is stalled, probably because the House Bill is on it's way for a vote. Time to make some phone calls to your Senators!

Bill 5112 was heard by the Senate Judiciary Executive Committee this morning. There was no debate. The decision was a unanimous "do pass" recommendation. It goes to the Rules Committee next.

Both bills seem to be going the distance...

x Fingers crossed x

Summary of Bill:

The crime of using a contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of a firearm is amended to exempt the use of a suppressor that is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law.

AKA - if you are legal to own the suppressor, you are within your legal rights to use said suppressor as intended within WA State.

Effective Date: The bill takes effect 90 days after adjournment of the session in which the bill is

passed.

Bill 5112 was heard by the Senate Judiciary Executive Committee this morning. There was no debate. The decision was a unanimous "do pass" recommendation. It goes to the Rules Committee next.

Both bills seem to be going the distance...

x Fingers crossed x

Summary of Bill:

The crime of using a contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of a firearm is amended to exempt the use of a suppressor that is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law.

AKA - if you are legal to own the suppressor, you are within your legal rights to use said suppressor as intended within WA State.

Effective Date: The bill takes effect 90 days after adjournment of the session in which the bill is

passed.

Nice!

Now let's lobby to do the same with the absurd SBR law in Wa State! Who's with me?

:super:

• 2 weeks later...

I took these posts off the subguns forum. I called about 5 names off the list today. Ever little bit helps.

Senate bill 5112 (allow registered silencer use) appears to be stuck in the Rules committee. The Rules committee never publishes an agenda so we will not know when it goes for a vote until the bill status is updated as passed or failed on the Senate floor

If you want to use silencers in WA, please write to the Rules committee chairman, Lt Governor Owen. Sending e-mail to the rest of the committee would not hurt either.

Bill 5112 http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5112&year=2011

Rules committee membership http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/RULE/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx

Lt Governor Owen http://ltgov.wa.gov/ and his e-mail address ltgov@leg.wa.gov

have been trying to reach Rules committee members on the phone, but it is difficult. Their aides are not willing to set up a time to talk to their Senator on the phone or arrange a meeting. They may be more willing to speak to a person in their district. If anyone is in the district of the following Rules committee members, please call them on the phone and urge them to get bill 5112 placed on the floor calendar for a second reading.

Owen, Brad (D) Chair LEG 220 (360) 786-7700

Prentice, Margarita (D) Vice Chair LEG 312 (360) 786-7616

Hewitt, Mike ® * LEG 314 (360) 786-7630

Brown, Lisa (D) LEG 307 (360) 786-7604

Carrell, Mike ® INB 102 (360) 786-7654

Eide, Tracey (D) LEG 305 (360) 786-7658

Fraser, Karen (D) LEG 404 (360) 786-7642

Harper, Nick (D) JAC 226 (360) 786-7674

Haugen, Mary Margaret (D) JAC 305 (360) 786-7618

Keiser, Karen (D) JAC 224 (360) 786-7664

King, Curtis ® INB 205 (360) 786-7626

Kline, Adam (D) JAC 223 (360) 786-7688

Kohl-Welles, Jeanne (D) JAC 219 (360) 786-7670

McAuliffe, Rosemary (D) LEG 403 (360) 786-7600

Parlette, Linda Evans ® LEG 316 (360) 786-7622

Pflug, Cheryl ® LEG 415 (360) 786-7608

Rockefeller, Phil (D) JAC 218 (360) 786-7644

Schoesler, Mark ® INB 110 (360) 786-7620

Stevens, Val ® INB 105 (360) 786-7676

White, Scott (D) LEG 402 (360) 786-7690

Zarelli, Joseph ® INB 204 (360) 786-7634

Here are the Senate e-mail addresses; https://dlr.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/Default.aspx?Chamber=S

Here is how you find your Senator; http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

A staffer of one of the senators I called told me he thought it would go to the floor in the next two weeks and judging from the support in the House he expected it to pass. However we can't just wait for them to screw it up. Please pick up the phone, even if you are not in Washington and let them know of your support. If you can't do it on Monday do it over the weekend and leave a message on their voice mail. Again it is Senate bill 5112

• 2 weeks later...

The house already passed HB 1016,

SB 5112 is the Senate Companion Bill.

It was scheduled for a second reading today.

A public hearing with the Senate Judiciary Committee has been scheduled for March 9th, at 1:30 PM.

I don't know about that. Senator Brown just pulled the bill today for a second reading on the senate floor. Looks like it is moving forward. Please spend some time calling some of the senators on the above list to express your support.

Bill search feature----> http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5112

Edited by TO THE FLOOR

House bill 1016 is scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Judiciary at 1:30 PM. On March 9 (Subject to change) Hopefully the sentate will vote on the Senate bill 5112 before March 7 which is the deadline for the senate bill...they are supposed to be working all weekend. Here is where I get fuzzy...if the senate bill passes it goes ot the govenor or signature...or the house bill makes the same rounds in the senate...

Bill 5112 is dead and now the house bill 1016 is in the Senate judiciary committee...hearing was today...now we are waiting to see if they gave it a 'do pass' There were 5 guys there and I sent an email which they didn't read...needed to give them 2 days notice if I wanted to speak telephonically. WE need to get more organized...a phone tree or something....

Heads Up

Five people showed up to support, none opposed. Senator Kline acknowledged that bill 1016 is the same as bill 5112 and that there was no reason 1016 leave without a "do pass" recommendation.

The video of today's hearing also included an executive session in which bill 1016 was referred out of committee with a "do pass" recommendation.

http://www.tvw.org/media/mediaplayer.cfm?evid=2011031049&TYPE=V&CFID=2428502&CFTOKEN=50085630&bhcp=1

Thanks for that...they wouldn't let me address the committee telephonically...they wanted 2 days notice. They did let me send an email. But they had one person address the committee for everyone and didn't read the email during the hearing. I guess we are back to calling the rules committee members listed above with their phone numbers...Call senator Brown FIRST

We are making a phone tree...anyone want in??

Each person should find 4 or 5 people MAX he can trust to call the senators. When the time comes (and there may be more than 1 incident) you call the 4 or 5 people on your list and then call the senators...and we will try to give a heads up who to call first.

If anyone is interested PM me your phone number.

On Senate bill 5112 the senator's aid was pissing and moaning that only 5 people called in...So it's time to step up or we will definately be living in a world of not using our suppressors and for sure no SBR SBS or MG in our future.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes House Bill 1016 passed the WA state House and Senate. All it needs to become law is the governor's signature. Here is the Governor's phone number...360 902-4111 If they don't ask who you are (like they haven't asked me) call back the next day and express your support again. I met some of these guys on another forum and I tried to be heard telephonically on the senate floor with the senate version of the bill when they went, but I did not give the senate comittee enough notice...needed 2 or 3 days notice. If this goes through they want to work on SBR's next...but I told them I would prefer SBS's next

and yes we all have a reason to be partying when it's signed.

Edit: I just called the governor's office again...god I'm a pest...and the bill has not come before the governor yet but once it does she had 5 days to sign it. Again call the gov and voice your support.

360-902-4111

Edited by TO THE FLOOR