If anyone is able to help me out I would certainly appreciate it. I have looked at the various pictures showing what the fake Kobras look like but mine has some features that seem to span the real/fake. It appears to have the brass reinforcements and it has recess in the adjustment cap which is a characteristic of the real ones. On the fake side it has the lightening cuts and the "made in russia" stamp. I ordered this from eastwave which from what I read online was shipping real ones. The picture on their site was not quite what I got. The packaging is stamped from Belarus. The box that it came in looks different from the other ones, mine is black with a snake skin print on it. This is driving me insane as I ordered this thing in November (just got it today...it got "lost in the mail") and I paid a god awful amount for it.

If anyone has any input as to its authenticity it would help to put my mind at ease

Thanks

post-31227-0-65359400-1297133394_thumb.jpg

I believe it's fake, unfortunately.

As far as I know no real Kobra's ever had phillips head screws like that, and none ever had the lightening cuts.

Curious, what's that thing sticking off the front of the sight? Looks like some sort of nub just below the lense?

I just ran across the same model and after discussing it over on theakforum.net the concensus was that it was real. The fake Kobra's were copied from a real one and this appears to be the original that they used to make the fake. What tipped the issue was the screws and the brass fittings, the fake is different on both, but the original in your photo has the correct ones that you expect to see. Another concensus was that there are several variations of the EKP-1S-03M in circulation and that they aren't all identical, which helps to confuse the issue some because real Kobra's can have what appear to be fake features.

By appearance that Kobra looks like the fake, but again that seems to be because the fake was copied from it. I think you're GTG, especially because its from Eastwave.

Z

Here is a shot of the other side. The other thing that made me concerned is that I have seen others who had their package certificate filled out and mine has no signatures just some printed info with the description and designation. There is the second packet in Cyrillic that looks like it could be the certificate but I can only speak some Russian, not read it.

Excellent response time by the way.

post-31227-0-32986200-1297138253_thumb.jpg

I wanted to check around online to make sure I wasn't going off half cocked. As they are out of Canada and shipping from Belarus and then factoring in that it took around 3 months to arrive I visualize trying to return as a nightmare. Are there any other pictures that I can upload that would assist anyone in making a determination? If the consensus view is that it is fake I will absolutely getting in touch with them.

One of my first conversations with eastwave in response to asking what Gen the scope was (Tantal had them listed by generation number):

Hello ,

We are the dealer of the Russian military manufacturer for 15 years .Mostly we sell optics for special forces and military but for personal usage as well .

I may clearly tell you the 1,2,3 generation abbreviation in the reality have never existed .

It is one of the many internet stories . Please look at the manufacturer web site ( unfortunately in Cyrillic only )

http://www.axionet.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=75

We currently have EKP-1C-03M Cobra model with the AK/SKS side mount and EKP 8-18 with top Weaver/Picatinny base .

All our scopes are original Russian battlefield military products.

If it is fake, it looks like the counterfeiters have upped their game a little bit to include some of the features that were flagging them in the past.

The set screw and the lightening cuts on the front concern me a little. Mine don't have either of these items... however mine was purchased a few years ago.

Hmmm. Mine seems identical to the one in your link. Mine does have a set screw but it is the flathead. I do have a completely different serial number as well. I also have the U slot cut for the sun shield. There may be hope after all. I really wish I had a fake one to look at and feel though.

http://www.theakforu...p?f=11&t=148463

More information from the thread on theakforum.net

Z

• 3 months later...

If anyone is able to help me out I would certainly appreciate it. I have looked at the various pictures showing what the fake Kobras look like but mine has some features that seem to span the real/fake. It appears to have the brass reinforcements and it has recess in the adjustment cap which is a characteristic of the real ones. On the fake side it has the lightening cuts and the "made in russia" stamp. I ordered this from eastwave which from what I read online was shipping real ones. The picture on their site was not quite what I got. The packaging is stamped from Belarus. The box that it came in looks different from the other ones, mine is black with a snake skin print on it. This is driving me insane as I ordered this thing in November (just got it today...it got "lost in the mail") and I paid a god awful amount for it.

If anyone has any input as to its authenticity it would help to put my mind at ease

Thanks

post-31227-0-65359400-1297133394_thumb.jpg

I need input as well. I ordered from Eastwave (Dmitry) around May 05, 2011 and never got any confirmation about payment receipt (except from Paypal) or any order info. So i decided to E-mail them for one a week later

and their reply was:

"We apologize for the delay as we had long holidays till May 10 due to the Victory Day. Unfortunately, when our shipping department prepared your scope for delivery last week they realized that the product was faulty. Our thechnician could not fix the problem and had to sent the scope to the manufacturer for repair or exchange.Unfortunately, this was the last Cobra scope with weaver mount in stock and we are unable to send you a replacement item until we get it back. We are still waiting for the scope but if the repair is impossible would you purchase the Cobra scope with side mount that is in stock and ready for shipping or prefer the refund? Again, we are very sorry for the inconvenience,

DmitryEWP Inc"

So, I decide to go ahead with the side mounted model. The new order was made on the 16th, shipped out on the 17th from Belarus, reached my door on the 21st. Fast shipping.

My issues are 1.) it didn't come with a box. What it came with was the pouch, tool, sun shade, papers (English and Cyrillic with matching serial#), battery. No box! This will affect resale.

2.) The one I got is just like yours exactly (the one pictured above) which is on the "fake" side of the comparison picture. Not the stock photo on their site

3.) The elevation adjustment screw was set on too tight that it started to get stripped when I sighted it in. It still hasn't moved, until I get a replacement then I'll remove it by force.

4.)The reticle has a ghost image on it when I turn the brightness up while inside a bright room with all lishts on. Is this normal?

I have yet to e-mail Eastwave about this and see if I could get a set of replacement screws or should I question it authenticity.

I know a lot of people speak highly of this company I too am impressed, international shipping in four days but remember China is slowly invading our country why coudln't they have possibly invaded Russia first? :rolleyes:

Now, all that has been said there isn't anything I could do about this but kick myself in the butt if they've unknowingly sent me a knock-off.

Can someone else please confirm its authenticity.

Here is a link to pics:

http://s1102.photobu...drewdean/KOBRA/

Edited by Iriminage

Post a pic of both sides of yours and the underside as well. When this subject came up on theakforum.net the conclusion was that there is in fact an older model of Kobra that the Chinese copied. The real deal obviously has the same features but certain things like the brass fittings on the clamp and the dials are how you tell them apart. The comparison photos are of the EKP-1S-03M which is the latest real version.

I'm not going to go to the end of the earth to convince anyone that Dmitry is legit but I can say from personal experience he knows his optics, he runs a large optics business and deals directly with the manufacturer of Kobra's. It's extremely unlikely he's trying to pass off a fake, but pics would be good to see.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen