I mess around with these sorts of things and wanted to hear others opinions. What would your ideal gun bag be? Would it be geared towards a range bag? Maybe a SHTF, GTFH, BUG, BOB, GHA I'll just keep adding acronyms but you get the idea :rolleyes:

Would it be easier to have one bag for all that you would ever need or do you like to keep your range bags and your other gear separate?

How many mags do you carry in a load out? How many weapons?

What bag do you currently use for the above acronyms? Why? If you could change something about it, what would it be? Do you like low profile or something that screams gun?

How many of you 3 gunners would want something to carry all your stuff in one bag?

For any of my small stuff, I just use a laptop bag.

I really don't like advertising to my neighbors "Hey, he has guns! Wait until he's gone to break into his house!" It may be a bit on the paranoid side, but I prefer to be discreet in this area.

As for a larger model, I still use my hardshell case. It looks like a guitar case anyway.

Or are you thinking more along the lines of good purpose built drag bags and the like?

• Like 1

For any of my small stuff, I just use a laptop bag.

I really don't like advertising to my neighbors "Hey, he has guns! Wait until he's gone to break into his house!" It may be a bit on the paranoid side, but I prefer to be discreet in this area.

As for a larger model, I still use my hardshell case. It looks like a guitar case anyway.

Or are you thinking more along the lines of good purpose built drag bags and the like?

Yeah, your line of thinking is the direction I was headed. I'd still like more ideas, but I have thought about a drag bag for a two gun combo. Ya know, a smaller one that isn't 60" long!

I had a conversation with a guy who used a NASTY old golf bag and the rustiest clubs I had ever seen to disguise a rifle. He was on SniperHide... I'll try to find a link or pic.

That seemed like the best option to discourage interest I had found. The pouches and zippers would work for gear, and they are pretty darned durable, even in the cheap bags.

I love my laptop bags just because they are common, ignorable, and the pockets fit AR mags perfectly. I have a CCW and a PLR16... I don't have to worry about leaving my gun in the truck, or worry about who I run into on the street. Nobody ever knows.

• Like 1

I have a Storm Case which is epic, durable and disaster-proof, but it's really fucking heavy.

So the majority of the time, I use a UTG softcase that has backpack straps and bag carry handles. It makes loading and unloading much faster as I have my hands free for misc. things. You can talk shit about UTG if you want, but that case has made my life much easier due to the backpack straps and there are 3 mag pouches on the side and a half case pocket for smaller guns & pistols.

I got into the law in Nevada on another forum regarding the legality of carrying bags that hide the contents, and in my county the sheriff's office stated that there is no legal way to carry long-guns concealed - however range trips are fine. I would check into it before getting a "sneaky bag" or "guitar case" despite the obvious advantage of not disclosing what you are putting in your vehicle.

• Like 1

When me and my son go to the range, ammo's in a cardboard box, guns on the back seat separated by blanket layers. I do need to get a couple of bags for range trips, not so sure about gun cases as they are not required where I am at. Also need to get one for the night stand, be eaiser just to have a bag there with a flashlight and extra clips. I am thinking for SHTF that getting some low profile plastic tubs would do for ammo, any thoughts on that?

I mess around with these sorts of things and wanted to hear others opinions. What would your ideal gun bag be? Would it be geared towards a range bag? Maybe a SHTF, GTFH, BUG, BOB, GHA I'll just keep adding acronyms but you get the idea :rolleyes:

Would it be easier to have one bag for all that you would ever need or do you like to keep your range bags and your other gear separate?

How many mags do you carry in a load out? How many weapons?

What bag do you currently use for the above acronyms? Why? If you could change something about it, what would it be? Do you like low profile or something that screams gun?

How many of you 3 gunners would want something to carry all your stuff in one bag?

I use a heavily modified laptop case just big enough for my krink and nine 30rd waffle mags with the center divider's original plastic stiffener replaced by a 17x14 TLIII kevlar panel from my old Monarch vest. I also keep a radio,some doodads, a water bottle,meds,ID and a survival kit in a mess tin.

It functions perfectly in this capacity and most importantly it doesn't look like a BOB or Tacticool in any way. I'd like it if there was a move in this direction. I see so many people dolled up in khaki,coyote brown,OD green with molle webbing on every inch of their stuff and anyone with a clue has them pegged from across the street as a cop or wannabe commando who probably has a gun handy.

Just grabbing a Nike gym bag and making due just wont' cut it. Somebody needs to make something that looks inconspicuous like that on the outside but has logically arranged mag pouches, equipment pockets and possibly even a function to make it wearable against the body once deployed on the inside in colors that aren't obviously militaristic or an attempt at camouflage for a rural environment when 2/3 of us live in cities and towns.

• Like 1

I've had an idea for my perfect carry bag for a while but haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet.

My criteria are:

1. Waterproof

2. Padded

3. Disguises contents as ho-hum item that would not look out of place in most environments, especially outdoors

4. Easy access to weapon

What I came up with was a version of the cases that you see in stores to carry a broken down fishing rod and reel and misc gear. To avoid too much width it may be limited to only having a 5 rd mag inserted while carrying but and 8 rounder could work. It would have a decal of a fish on the outside with "gone fishin'" written underneath. Maybe a few lures pinned to the outside for effect. This would not look out of place in the back of a vehicle, a boat, or carried between a vehicle and house. What do you think?

Tent bag?

That might work, except for me I would be frequently taking it in and out of my tent which might look strange if the tent is already erected. Also, fishing gear is something you can take off hiking through the woods with, or from the tent down to the kayak or raft and not draw any attention.

This is my Concealed carry Case. I am almost finished with the insert for my 11.5 AR. Once I am done with that one I am going to do a insert for my S12 12 inch. So depending on what the mission calls for, I can swap out the inner case to accomidate the weapon I am carrying.I used a real Guitar Neck, this way if someone unzips the top of the case WALLA! there is a Guitar in there at least the neck, if they see more than the neck, they have seen too much something serious is going to happen. You wont see all the sponge, I am going to cover it with Black Velvet type material. These pics are in progress pics I took. Apart from this I have a double 36 inch case which I carry my guns in to the range, ammo and acessories in a seperate heavy duty Tool bag from Home Depot

post-22569-0-89978600-1297215581_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-58436200-1297215593_thumb.jpg

post-22569-0-15376000-1297215991_thumb.jpg

This is my Concealed carry Case. I am almost finished with the insert for my 11.5 AR. Once I am done with that one I am going to do a insert for my S12 12 inch. So depending on what the mission calls for, I can swap out the inner case to accomidate the weapon I am carrying.I used a real Guitar Neck, this way if someone unzips the top of the case WALLA! there is a Guitar in there at least the neck, if they see more than the neck, they have seen too much something serious is going to happen. You wont see all the sponge, I am going to cover it with Black Velvet type material. These pics are in progress pics I took. Apart from this I have a double 36 inch case which I carry my guns in to the range, ammo and acessories in a seperate heavy duty Tool bag from Home Depot

Antonio's was better. :haha:

That looks good. If I was restricted to an urban environment a guitar case would be my choice, too. Your guitar neck gave me the idea that I could have a fishing rod tip sticking a little ways out the end of my gun case to complete the illusion.

Antonio's was better. :haha:

Could have done one exactly like Antonios, but too bulky and heavy. You havent seen my Golf Bag as yet!

One of the guys over on Surplus Rifle Forum has a big synthesizer case that he uses to transport rifles. The thing is massive and built like a tank.

For going to the range, I like MidwayUSA's "tactical" rifle cases. They're under $20 and will fit my 21" Saiga .308 with its pistol grip and POSP. For longer trips, I also have a few cheap hard cases.

So what I'm hearing from all this=Drop the molle attachments, padding is a plus that can't be overlooked, waterproof would be nice, heavy is out and lightweight is in, it must look like something else and needs to blend in with surroundings, something a logo can be added to but keep the velcro off it?

So what I'm hearing from all this=Drop the molle attachments, padding is a plus that can't be overlooked, waterproof would be nice, heavy is out and lightweight is in, it must look like something else and needs to blend in with surroundings, something a logo can be added to but keep the velcro off it?

With Backpack Straps! They just make life easier! :super:

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

With Backpack Straps! They just make life easier! :super:

Shit....I knew I missed something

This is one of the type of bags I use. A $25.00 scuba fin and mask bag with a homemade sleeve to slip inside for padding and to resist printing of the weapon. Insert is ballistic nylon and closed cell foam. Also the 3 mag bandoleer has a soft trauma pack inserted behind the mags. I have also used baseball bat bags, enclosed golf club bags, tennis racket bags. Regular looking backpacks work good for accessories.

HPIM0482.jpg

HPIM0478.jpg

Edited by farmdog
  • Like 1

Camouflage is what you do when you get to where you're going. I live in an urban/suburban world with a large number of college students. Camo for me is longer hair, stylish clothes, a laptop bag, messenger bag, guitar case, or other such and a girl on my arm.

A guy in 5.11 gear, MOLLE covered bags, and digital multicam stands out like a sore thumb as being armed, or desperately trying to look the part. (Although I would more likely guess they were an ARFcom refugee on a day trip.) In either case, it certainly isn't "blending-in". That guy has just laid his cards on the table almost as plainly as if he had open carried.

Everyone is entitled to wear what they like, but nothing gives you 24/7 eyes in the back of your head, and an obviously armed individual is a high threat target for anyone planning on doing harm. Anybody can walk up behind anyone and knock him the the head first. They might even get a weapon they didn't have to start with.

So, yeah, in my opinion, dump the MOLLE and the tacticool crap. It's advertising.

• Like 1

The MOLLE/military style stuff has its place and are functional whether it's a BOB, load bearing equipment, or weapons case. If SHTF, I'm grabbing that stuff. The tennis bags and laptop cases are great for not drawing attention provided you can legally conceal a long gun. Some states do not allow it even if you hold a CCW. My buddy made a sweet hard case for his Krink out of a DeWalt sawzall case and some closed cell foam. Nothing I'd leave in a vehicle with a weapon in it though as thieves will steal tools and sporting equipment just as quick if not quicker than a firearm.