I typically use a hard rifle case for my Springfield M1A (it is scoped) and I use soft rifle cases for my other stuff. I keep my GLOCK's in their black factory cases when transporting them. I also recently got a bigger pistol case from a friend that sold a handgun of his that I can use to carry several pistols (it works just fine for my Nagant revolver and Polish Tokarev, which came in cardboard boxes).

I picked up an olive drab military surplus bag at a gun show several years for a mere $5.00. I usually use it to carry targets and earplugs (I should probably just say to hell with those things and get some quality earmuffs). The bag is also big enough to carry other stuff too - I often carry smaller guns in this bag. It is just big enough for my SAR-1 to fit. I can also cram my Draco and cased pistols in there. I wrap the SAR-1 and Draco in gun sleeves and tie them shut prior to putting them in the bag. For a mere $5.00, I feel that this was a good deal, especially considering that no one can tell what I am carrying in that bag.

I typically keep my magazines (with the exception of the spare magazines I carry with my concealed GLOCK 19) in ammo cans with the ammo so the bag does not get heavy.

Something MOLLE and modular.

Where you can yank a trauma kit from it or just grab the shoulder slung ammo pouch.

So that they can be carried like that, or just to keep them separate. AKA you have a gun bag, an ammo bag, a trauma kit bag that can be carried separately or put together to be formed as one pack.

;)

Something MOLLE and modular.

Where you can yank a trauma kit from it or just grab the shoulder slung ammo pouch.

So that they can be carried like that, or just to keep them separate. AKA you have a gun bag, an ammo bag, a trauma kit bag that can be carried separately or put together to be formed as one pack.

;)

Bingo!

Not very grey man, but they are pretty solid. I have a knock off of one of these and have to say, shoulder straps to wear it back pack style would be nice. It's nice for range use and that's it IMHO.

What about something like this

http://shop.captaind...ELAID=558129191

Not very grey man, but they are pretty solid. I have a knock off of one of these and have to say, shoulder straps to wear it back pack style would be nice. It's nice for range use and that's it IMHO.

Thanks Yarp the shoulder straps are a great idea. Settled on this one http://sap075.channeladvisor.com/p-28-42-inch-molle-soft-padded-padded-weapons-case-with-backpack-straps.aspx

I am not worried about being grey, the south doesn't seem to uptight about guns :D

Thanks Yarp the shoulder straps are a great idea. Settled on this one http://sap075.channeladvisor.com/p-28-42-inch-molle-soft-padded-padded-weapons-case-with-backpack-straps.aspx

I am not worried about being grey, the south doesn't seem to uptight about guns :D

LOL! nice! I'm just sick of carrying a gazillion bags around. Not that one can carry a whole collection with them, so hard cases will always be needed, but if I go to the range to work with my MBR, pistols and a shotgun I end up carrying a bunch of different bags. When I go hunting I need a different bag. If I needed something in a SHTF situation (car bag), I again need a different bag. Not that I'd ever do this but.....Let say I leave my stuff in the back seat of the car and run in to the gas station to pay. I don't want someone to look in the back seat and see $ signs, I want them to see a bag, just a bag, nothing that screams gun.

Edit to add: My wife teased me about my bag collection, she says I have more bags then she has purses..........later that day "oh honey! look at this new purse I bought".....me grumbling cause I can't say anything. HA!

Edited by YARP

I like to be more low key, generally. Since I've abandoned my Mil Spec haircut long ago, I now look like I could be a Roadie for KISS or something. :super: In keeping with that look, I've found guitar cases do a very good job at being more discreet, and nobody thinks twice about me getting one out of my trunk:

DSC_0574.jpg

I want to get this for a Glock and a Draco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqq-xmPqsek

Granted, it can't do this....

600px-DesperadoMAc10case-2.jpg

......YET. LOL

I've got this one, http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE204-6.html

In OD. It's nice cause the pouches can be pulled and used elsewhere if needed. It's a one gun but I added a center pad to make it a two. A second strap would be nice but the one works well enough.

I like the molle gear cause....

1. In Ohio, concealed long weapons is a big NO NO, even with a CCL.

2. I live in the country and my nearest neighbor is a cop, he understands, lol.

3. In a SHtF/EotW, I'm more concerned with functionality than concealment. And getting caught with illegally concealed stuff will likely go worse then being upfront about it, regardless of the situation.

I like the OD cause it's less threatening than Camo and easily camo'd if needed to be. It doesn't scream "Commando Wannabe" like the surplus camo gear. Don't get me wrong, I still have my old Mil. woodland camo, but it's only either used when hunting/paintballing or in my BOB(jic).

3. In a SHtF/EotW, I'm more concerned with functionality than concealment. And getting caught with illegally concealed stuff will likely go worse then being upfront about it, regardless of the situation.

Winner! I've got enough civilian shit at the house to conceal and carry some long guns if needed, but if SHTF, the military spec gun cases, bags, etc. are going to come out on top because they function period. A lot of people on here think MOLLE and Camoflauge are linked to being a Gunstore Commando or Mall Ninja but having it is giving you another option for carrying your weapon, ammo, and bug out gear and effectively moving with all of it. Just depends on the situation. I'd look pretty silly trying to move around the woods and swamps around here with a wheeled suitcase and a guitar case. :rolleyes:

Winner! I've got enough civilian shit at the house to conceal and carry some long guns if needed, but if SHTF, the military spec gun cases, bags, etc. are going to come out on top because they function period. A lot of people on here think MOLLE and Camoflauge are linked to being a Gunstore Commando or Mall Ninja but having it is giving you another option for carrying your weapon, ammo, and bug out gear and effectively moving with all of it. Just depends on the situation. I'd look pretty silly trying to move around the woods and swamps around here with a wheeled suitcase and a guitar case. :rolleyes:

What? I can see it now as your wandering through the Florida swamps, "damn, all I packed was my rifle in this guitar case and left the banjo at home...Now what are we gonna do?!" LOL! jokes, full of 'em. I think the major problem that I see pointed out is that people are either headed extremely one way or the other. The chances of seeing me walking around with a guitar case are zilch as well as you won't see me rolling around town in digi camo. I like a little Molle attachment here and there, but the common trend I've started to see is MOLLE everywhere, all over, unstoppable. The best comparison I can insert here is look at a guys with enough crap hanging off there weapons to have it cook them dinner while giving them a back massage, it's just too much! Then look at the guy who swears he can take on anybody and anything with a Mosin Nagant and a pack of Kools, it's just too little! Basically, the perfect middle of the road bag..........getting hard to find these days.

Now one more thing to add. I've gone out and looked at some of the stuff people put in there bags for SHTF and all I can say is HOLY KITCHEN SINK BATMAN! Now I understand why there carrying around bags with frames, 120lbs of gear is a lot of shit!

I'm all about finding the middle ground on a bag, one that does what I need it to do to save my ass.........not wipe it for me!

Keep the ideas rolling fellas! What are essential things that a bag must have in your opinion for you to use it in survival mode? In range mode?

Whatever I can pick up at goodwill. Like other urbanites I don't want to have a bag that screams gun or steal me. Like azrial I use a tennis bag for my s12 and x39 with folding stocks. Picked up a nice bag with a zip front that was perfect for the drum and two other compartments that would hold at least 6 10 round mags and another to keep a good stack of 5 round mags.

Awe come on. You can make coffee with it!

I do have a couple of Blackhawk soft weapons cases that are black and don't have MOLLE all over that work pretty well. They don't scream gun case but you can tell it is one. For carrying gear, I have a big black Blackhawk Raptor pack that looks pretty civil and doesn't scream military gear. Like I said regarding military /MOLLE type stuff, it's more functional IMO. Other than that, my other gun bags are military looking apart from some hard cases.

I suppose I should clarify my position on SHTF and what I think is appropriate for the situation.....

If I needed to move a large rifle or shotgun in a non-combat urban setting (ie around people that are still somewhat civil), the guitar case would IMO be more fitting than a military camoflaged case with mag pouches and MOLLE. Indeed, the low profile case WOULD be "camoflaged", as few would suspect anything. Same goes for trasport in a vehicle. Hi profile is good for intimidation when engaging the bad guy and such, but not when you're hoping to blend in.

If I were needing to wander through a swamp, forest or whatever, and was not as likely to require "urban camo", then the guitar case could give way to something more suitable. Still probably not full combat gear, but maybe something akin to a hunter's or backpaker's setup. Something like that would probably be appropriate for that locale and shouldn't call undue attention.

I tend to lean more towards the simple than the hi tech equipment, though should a full out combat engagement ever occur on our soil (God forbid), I'd have the MOLLEd body armor with a full combat kit at my disposal. There'd be no disguising that though, nor would there (at that point) be many reasons to. If I needed to blend in, I'd go back to something less obvious.

Low key cases are great if you're not planning to need immediate access to your weapon and want to appear unthreatening. "Gray" bags, like the Select Carry Pack offer a comprimise between low profile looks and semi-rapid accessability. Hi profile carriers, scabbards and such often allow quick access but do little to conceal their true function.

Choose the right tool for the job.

That's just the view from this particular soapbox though. Your view may differ. :smoke:

I have a VooDoo Tactical 42" double soft rifle case that also holds 2 handguns and has three big pouches for ammo and some molle webbing that I used to attach another two pouches. Unfortunately it pretty much screams "gun bag" so any hope of low-key is out. Either way I find it to be the perfect setup for range trips. It also has backpack-type straps for long walks, etc.

Classy-Voodoo's been putting out some pretty sick stuff lately, got there shotting rest bag for Christmas. Can you fit an AK and your S12 with all the appropriate mags in that bag? When weighed doen, do the shoulder straps cut in to you?

Corbin-I get what your grillin bro! My example is more along the lines of the county comm bag that literally has MOLLE up an down both sides and on top, to the point where it feels like MOLLE on top of MOLLE.

Wow! Some very interesting commentary so far.

I work about 8 miles from my home. I have wife and kids (3 are at school during the day, 1 at home with mom). I work in a gun-free zone (or kill-freely zone) from 8-5 and have to dress biz casual.

My primary concern in any SHTF scenario is to GTFH (or GTF to the school my kids are). If the roads are clogged with frantic sheeple and I need to hoof it, I have a large cheap duffel in my trunk. In it, I have an extra mag for my XD45 (which is my glove box), a 5" fixed blade, flashlight, some general non-descript civies, a good pair of boots, spare socks, gloves, hat, a lightweight but warm jacket, etc. All this I wear and/or fit in a simple camelback lightbackpack with about 2L of treated water, a few hard granola bars, etc. So trekking toward home or school in unrest means I am light, discreet, and armed with 14 rounds of .45ACP and another spare 13 rounds.

Again, you have to figure out what the hell you might get into or have to get out of before putting together a "bag". In my particular situation, I need to get home. Period. I ain't gonna be able to sneak around the high mountain deserts of N AZ with a wife and 4 kids.

Consider what might happen in the are where you live and think of how many people are going to be thinking along the same lines you are (living off the land, heading for the woods, etc.). I'm sure a great many here know about it but I'd recommend looking at Jim Rawles site, Survival Blog. Lots of great info on SHTF and TEOTWAWKI.

If we are talking end of the world, I really won't need much of one. I will need carry gear that allows quick access and load carrying ability.

I have a Blackhawk DOAV that I picked up for ACTS competition, and still use occasionally for long classes and other situations where I don't have long enough breaks to reload mags between drills. That rig/dropleg lets me carry my sidearm, 5 extra pistol mags, 12 AR mags, my camel back, and whatever I put in the two back pouches and two side dump bags. Figure if I ran the PLR16, my XD45, sling my .308, and the Saiga, I could still move and ride... But, it wouldn't be done unless every other option was off the table and I had to hoof it the 20 miles to safe ground. It's about as subtle as a bull in a china shop, but it's an effective way to distribute the weight.

At the point I'm slinging the guns and running, I will need my weapon in my hands, not in any type of bag.

Well, for "Urban Camo" how about a "beach towl" slip cover or something similar. I know you can get pack covers in everything from various camo patterns to orange and blue. http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110215/wl_time/08599204913600

Around here, you're just as likely to have your tennis racket or laptop bag stolen as a gun case. If it can be sold, they'll take it if they can.

I've got a lil' 4dr Dakota that I've been toying with the idea of putting a secureable "foot locker" in the back seat area that I can unlock and take out if needed. Basically, something that can only be unlatched/locked from the inside.

Sorry if this is TOO off topic.

Well, for "Urban Camo" how about a "beach towl" slip cover or something similar. I know you can get pack covers in everything from various camo patterns to orange and blue. http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110215/wl_time/08599204913600

Around here, you're just as likely to have your tennis racket or laptop bag stolen as a gun case. If it can be sold, they'll take it if they can.

I've got a lil' 4dr Dakota that I've been toying with the idea of putting a secureable "foot locker" in the back seat area that I can unlock and take out if needed. Basically, something that can only be unlatched/locked from the inside.

Sorry if this is TOO off topic.

Hell no BPS12, it's not off topic. I'd like to focus on bags in this thread, but the footlocker idea I have seen done before and it's awesome. I'm sure RobRez would like to hear more about it, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=63343

This is more focused on finding the happy medium ground (for my purposes) of what people look for. Some want this elusive girl MOLLE that I hear of, and some would rather run away...but they all want the same thing!

OK my Voodoo Tactical came today and I am very happy with the selection. Thanks for the back pack idea YARP. This gives me mobility for three long guns, four pistols and tons of mags, plus I can add a couple of more MOLLE pouches for a trauma kit and food pouch.

Thanks to everyone on the thread as all of the ideas and situations that were put forth helped me in making my decision. Where I am located, having a tactical style bag is not a big deal ( I did get black). What I need it for is going to the range and if something happens I can go mobile quickly. I'll post some pics of full load when I get a chance.

If we are talking end of the world, I really won't need much of one. I will need carry gear that allows quick access and load carrying ability.

I have a Blackhawk DOAV that I picked up for ACTS competition, and still use occasionally for long classes and other situations where I don't have long enough breaks to reload mags between drills. That rig/dropleg lets me carry my sidearm, 5 extra pistol mags, 12 AR mags, my camel back, and whatever I put in the two back pouches and two side dump bags. Figure if I ran the PLR16, my XD45, sling my .308, and the Saiga, I could still move and ride... But, it wouldn't be done unless every other option was off the table and I had to hoof it the 20 miles to safe ground. It's about as subtle as a bull in a china shop, but it's an effective way to distribute the weight.

At the point I'm slinging the guns and running, I will need my weapon in my hands, not in any type of bag.

My thoughts exactly!

Utility and low profile would be my preference in a SHTF situation. My preference would be a duffel bag that is watertight, has the rolling wheels, and also backpack straps in case you are covering ground that does not allow you to drag it. I am not a one-man-army. I harbor no illusions that in that kind of situation I would avoid confrontation and keep away from the sheeple. Disasters and bad situations can bring out the worst in people and that is when bad things happen. Anyone that has humped a 100 pound load any distance will tell you that #1 it ain't easy, #2 Even with training, you can't do it very long at a rapid pace.

My thoughts exactly!

Valid points fellas, but this is about one bag for EVERYTHING not just SHTF. When I hunt up north( MI), I just go. If it isn't with me when I start then I'm screwed, it's the same in VT when I hunt with my father-in-law. So for a guy like me that likes to be able to have everything he needs for just about any scenario, this bag would be it. plus I hate vests, LOL! there not for everyone!

Utility and low profile would be my preference in a SHTF situation. My preference would be a duffel bag that is watertight, has the rolling wheels, and also backpack straps in case you are covering ground that does not allow you to drag it. I am not a one-man-army. I harbor no illusions that in that kind of situation I would avoid confrontation and keep away from the sheeple. Disasters and bad situations can bring out the worst in people and that is when bad things happen. Anyone that has humped a 100 pound load any distance will tell you that #1 it ain't easy, #2 Even with training, you can't do it very long at a rapid pace.

Waterproof.....hmmmm, I like it! Floating also?

How about something like one of these bags?

http://www.mantishockey.com/xcart/home.php?cat=251

Or if you need bigger, something like this:

http://www.voodootactical.net/p-288-israeli-mossad-style-tactical-duffle-bag.aspx

I have no affiliation with Voodoo other than liking the stuff that I have purchased from them. There are many companies out there that make the hockey bags, I think that the backpack style straps would be a plus too.