Good coating for steel magazines?

I have a couple of custom steel S12 mags that are currently in bare metal. I want to get them coated inside and out, or atleast just the outside. What would be a good durable coating that is thin enough to not impede the feeding function of the mag but be tough enough to handle abuse?

Teflon?

Cerakote?

I dont mind sending them off to have it done by pros. Any vendors on here to talk to?

Edited by Mullet Man

Hard chrome maybe. The stuff used on many car parts has a copper layer below the chrome, which is not as durable on firearm parts.

You could have them hot blued. Many gun smiths can do that fairly reasonably.

Or phosphate like many AK magazines are.

EDIT:

Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron phosphating process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

After posting this, i remembered about the DIY coating kits (parkerizing and Gun-Kote). I dont have access to a blast cabinet nor do i have an oven in my garage.

I'm gonna try and find someone local to do it. I'm thinking a phosphate base like you guys recommend and possibly Gun-Kote for the exterior top coat.

• 2 weeks later...