Midwest Industries Upper Only?

I have a MWI and it is fricking rock solid. And it has a great price as well. The top attaches by screwing to the bottom, so I don't think you could only run the top unless you made some modifications to the bottom rail. The bottom is really where the strenght is at.

Also, US Palm and MWI have teamed up to make a simular rail, which has the same bottom, and a new top rail that will co-witness with aimpoint, bushnell, leopold, and other red dot / reflex sights. That cuts out the only reason the Ultimak would be better. You can find the rail at US Palm / MWI Rail

Edited by ZombiePocalypse

I have seen firsthand that the point of impact changes with and without the MI installed.

http://www.midwestin...category_id=241

Could we run the upper instead that clamps to the gas tube and a regular handguard lower?

Ill try to explain then. Sorry if I am being confusing. The way that the UPPER part of the hand guard attaches to the rifle, is by four screws, which screw into the already attached lower hand guard. Two on each side. You can see this in the photo you posted. Here is a photo of the inside of the rail, so you can see how the upper attaches.

Rail Inside

So, there really isn't a way to "run the upper instead that clamps to the gas tube" because the upper part of the rail works off of the lower part. Make sense? I guess if you wanted to some how modify the upper part of the rail to attach to the handguard by means such as welding or something that could work. But, that would really take away from the strength and stability that the MWI is known for.

I have a MWI and it is fricking rock solid. And it has a great price as well. The top attaches by screwing to the bottom, so I don't think you could only run the top unless you made some modifications to the bottom rail. The bottom is really where the strenght is at.

Also, US Palm and MWI have teamed up to make a simular rail, which has the same bottom, and a new top rail that will co-witness with aimpoint, bushnell, leopold, and other red dot / reflex sights. That cuts out the only reason the Ultimak would be better. You can find the rail at US Palm / MWI Rail

The Ultimak adds less weight, because it replaces the original gas tube. It also can make your rifle a bit more accurate, due to the fact that the gas tube is not jammed between the gas block and the rear sight block. It is also a proven product, that stays put on there. On the down-side, it does expose your optics to heat, but I don't think that there have been any reports of it damaging quality optics.

I used to have a MI quad and it seemed like a nice, solid product, but it did make my weapon rather front-heavy. AKs are already a bit front-heavy. That's why I switched to an Ultimak with Aimpoint Micro and a VLTOR offset flashlight mount. This setup seems to be the choice for a lot of people "in the know".

Cool. Might look into it. I just don't like clamping to the barrel. Added a TDW dogleg today so that should do It for a while as it has a bunch of real estate and I'm not using iron sights at all. EOTech and PVS 14.....

Edited by alex e