What's the difference between Cali legal?

Most of those things just bolt on....no folders telescopers or attaching drums to them either and sticks have a ten round limit. even the LEO there have to paperwork on dept letterhead any weapon that falls outside that configuration.(same as anywhere else i suppose)

Edited by BVamp

Most of those things just bolt on....no folders telescopers or attaching drums to them either and sticks have a ten round limit. even the LEO there have to paperwork on dept letterhead any weapon that falls outside that configuration.(same as anywhere else i suppose)

You CAN have drums, as long as they are NOT over 10 round capacity.032.gif

they dont have the "revolving magazine" rule there like NY does?

Yes, but that is for shotguns like the Circuit Judge and the Colt 1855 revolving shotgun.

post-19654-0-37539200-1297447597_thumb.jpg

A drum doesn't fully revolve, its essentially a curved stick mag.

You CAN have drums, as long as they are NOT over 10 round capacity.032.gif

they dont have the "revolving magazine" rule there like NY does?

DrGonZo is wrong on the mag capacity portion. There are no magizine capacity restrictions for any fixed mag semi auto shotguns in California. A fixed mag firearm is any equipped with a mag locking device. The AW law CA Penal code 12276 explains what an AW is. There are capacity limits on mag locked pistols, and rifles, but a smooth bore shotgun has no such restriction.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

(B) A thumbhole stock.

© A folding or telescoping stock.

(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

(E) A flash suppressor.

(F) A forward pistol grip.

(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

(B) A second handgrip.

© A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock.

(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

To answer Ben's question about the mag, no the drum is not a revolving cylinder.

There are capacity limits on mag locked pistols, and rifles, but a smooth bore shotgun has no such restriction.

Holy shit! As far as I can tell you are exactly correct. I was under the impression that the 10-round restriction was across all gun platforms, but I stand corrected. It would appear that us CA residents can receive and use 20-round drums if we want. We just need to find a vendor willing to ship it to us now.

The drum or magazine if greater than 10 rounds must have been brought in to California prior to 2000 for it to be legally used in your mag-locked Saiga-12. The problem is that all these neat-o high capacity drums didn't exist back then. If you are unfortunate enough to be the guinea pig caught by LEO and asked about this, you can't say you had it in 1999, and it isn't a re-build for one that you had back then but broke, since they didn't even exist. It would be a really hard conviction for the DA, and unlikely it would ever occur. But probably not something to test at your local range, knowing that these didn't exist. All of that fighting costs you time and money, and lots of both. There were apparently some crude 12 round magazines then, but I am not aware (someone please correct me and show some proof if you can find it, for my own knowledge) of a high capacity (greater than 10rd) feeding device for the Saiga-12 that existed prior 2000.

Edited by Agro