Recommendations for Someone Who Isn't Allowed to Convert His Saiga

Here in Jersey, AutoLoading shotguns with pistol grips are considered Assault Weapons. Yes, I know that's retarded. :)

Seeing as how I am stuck here for the immediate future, I would like to make the most of my soon-to-arrive Saiga-12. The only parts I was planning on buying immediately are the poly-choke and the two round magazine so I can use it next time I go for pheasant.

I would make changes over time. I want to get a feel for the gun in its stock configuration before I start worrying about functional modifications.

It seems that most of the accessories are for converted Saigas. Knowing my limitations, are there any that you would recommend? I am interesting in upgrading the furniture to something nicer, be it wood, metal, or better plastic. Wood would be preferred, but I won't rule anything out.

I saw the thumbhole stock for unconverted Saigas (forget who makes it) and, while it is nice, comes too close to a pistol grip for me to consider with our anti-gun policing here (remember, this is the state where Brian Aitken was arrested). I have read about replacing the gas adjuster knob, various things about twister pucks. Are these just "nice-to-haves"? Do they improve functionality?

So, besides "move outta that state", does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Edited by lunker

Does the thumbhole stock loophole work for you like it does in NYs law literature?

if not, the next best thing you can do is get some nice wood, Polish your fcg mating surfaces, and get some different sights.

This is still a adaptable platforn to what your looking to do even without conversion, your just looking at getting stuck with inferior ergonomics and trigger pull regardless. Still no reason why you shouldn't make the most out of it.

Well regardless of configuration you will want to see if it is a Vodka Special...check the ports for sizing to see if they need some adjustment and possibly look at getting some polishing done to the bolt carrier...etc..etc. I think Paulyski a member here does great polishing work and is offering some great deal on it. The plugs and such are great modifiers for reliability so they are nice to have and serve a purpose. You will want to make sure it fires your pheasant loads efficiently many of the options listed are great functionality improvements as well as reliability utilities. All the business members here have great options for improving the reliability and functionality of the shotgun, so look at the sites, buy some shells and go have a good time...oh and welcome to the club... :super:

Edited by DJ Big Dog

Well, you asked for recommendations...and I'll give you mine.

Leave the gun as light as possible, adding only those accessories you feel are 'must have' important. Polish (or have polished) the internal works. A properly polished unconverted Saiga will go like a train, and will shoot pretty much anything you throw at it.

I went the route of the MD V-plug, the quad rails, the red dot sight, the Tapco T6 stock, flip-up back up sights, vertical handgrip (in order to reach around the MD20 drum, the drum being a thing I couldn't live without, and the vertical grip a thing it seems I can't live with). Now, with the exception of the stock (I much prefer a very short LOP), everything is back to stock, including the gas plug. I haven't had a FTF or FTE in so long, I'm thinking about letting the gun get real dirty so I can relive those pleasant experiences....

Here in Jersey, AutoLoading shotguns with pistol grips are considered Assault Weapons. Yes, I know that's retarded. :)

Seeing as how I am stuck here for the immediate future, I would like to make the most of my soon-to-arrive Saiga-12. The only parts I was planning on buying immediately are the poly-choke and the two round magazine so I can use it next time I go for pheasant.

I would make changes over time. I want to get a feel for the gun in its stock configuration before I start worrying about functional modifications.

It seems that most of the accessories are for converted Saigas. Knowing my limitations, are there any that you would recommend? I am interesting in upgrading the furniture to something nicer, be it wood, metal, or better plastic. Wood would be preferred, but I won't rule anything out.

I saw the thumbhole stock for unconverted Saigas (forget who makes it) and, while it is nice, comes too close to a pistol grip for me to consider with our anti-gun policing here (remember, this is the state where Brian Aitken was arrested). I have read about replacing the gas adjuster knob, various things about twister pucks. Are these just "nice-to-haves"? Do they improve functionality?

So, besides "move outta that state", does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

I do complete high performance rebuilds of factory guns. No pistol grip, but they run like a scalded ape with the reduced trigger pull, and all of the high performance Saiga goodness of my tactical builds. I have a client in NY who uses his Lone Star Arms "Super Sporter" for three gun. He says it shoots circles around Benellis, and absolutely smokes the competition.

Far too much is made of the pistol grip in states like NJ, NY, and California (and elsewhere for that matter). It isn't necessary for a top performing gun to have a pistol grip or a forward located fire control group. The fixation on a PG as a "must have feature" is really just a matter of personal preference, and completely irrelevant in terms of real world performance.

If you wish, your Lone Star Arms "Super Sporter" can be built 922r compliant:)

My contact information is available in my signature line, if you would like to get in touch with me to discuss it.

Best regards,

Mike Rogers

Does the thumbhole stock loophole work for you like it does in NYs law literature?

It is questionable. I know folks have gotten opinions from the State Police firearms unit saying it is OK, but since nothing is in writing, it is a gray area. That is the problem with NJ firearms laws, way too much room for interpretation. While California's are worse than ours, at least they are clearly delineated. Here there is so much confusion over the laws that I would venture to guess most police officers couldn't tell you what really is or isn't legal.

I do complete high performance rebuilds of factory guns. No pistol grip, but they run like a scalded ape with the reduced trigger pull, and all of the high performance Saiga goodness of my tactical builds. I have a client in NY who uses his Lone Star Arms "Super Sporter" for three gun. He says it shoots circles around Benellis, and absolutely smokes the competition.

Far too much is made of the pistol grip in states like NJ, NY, and California (and elsewhere for that matter). It isn't necessary for a top performing gun to have a pistol grip or a forward located fire control group. The fixation on a PG as a "must have feature" is really just a matter of personal preference, and completely irrelevant in terms of real world performance.

If you wish, your Lone Star Arms "Super Sporter" can be built 922r compliant:)

My contact information is available in my signature line, if you would like to get in touch with me to discuss it.

Best regards,

Mike Rogers

Thanks Mike,

I will check out your site.

The fixation on a PG as a "must have feature" is really just a matter of personal preference, and completely irrelevant in terms of real world performance.

Sorry Mike, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this point. The ability to "short stock" a long gun in close quarters is very much a real world performance issue.

Lunker, I live in NJ and I leave my S-12 stock. I'm going to add a gas plug that doesn't require tools to switch settings though.

The fixation on a PG as a "must have feature" is really just a matter of personal preference, and completely irrelevant in terms of real world performance.

Sorry Mike, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on this point. The ability to "short stock" a long gun in close quarters is very much a real world performance issue.

Lunker, I live in NJ and I leave my S-12 stock. I'm going to add a gas plug that doesn't require tools to switch settings though.

Gunny, your observation is duly noted and appreciated, especially in consideration of your service and extensive experience.

With the understanding that we are discussing a build that is fully compliant with both NJ regulations and 922r, within those parameters - I stand by my offer to build an NJ compliant gun that has all of the speed, reliability, and high performance goodness of my tactical guns.

Best regards,

Mike

Don't forget one of those "shoulder things that goes up". Can't really be tactical without it.

WTFII.jpg

I seem to be missing the context of your comment in the grand scheme of things in this thread. Do you have anything other than general snide comments that have little to do with anything to contribute?

With the understanding that we are discussing a build that is fully compliant with both NJ regulations and 922r, within those parameters - I stand by my offer to build an NJ compliant gun that has all of the speed, reliability, and high performance goodness of my tactical guns.

Best regards,

Mike

And I just want to be clear I wasn't denigrating your products. From what I've seen you have good stuff and do good work.

you can look at it this way,when the batfags reclassify them as destructive devices,you will have to register it and pay a $200 tax,only if you live in a NFA state,which i think nj isn"t.then since they know you have it if you filled out a 4473 you will have to make a choice,turn it in to be destroyed or do what our ancecters did 235 years ago.they gave them to the enemy bullets first.this is going through the minds of every sagia owner who filled out the 4473 right now.i believe most will turn them in as long as they are still allowed to watch football and basketball.don't call me names because i am telling the truth.

you can look at it this way,when the batfags reclassify them as destructive devices,you will have to register it and pay a $200 tax,only if you live in a NFA state,which i think nj isn"t.then since they know you have it if you filled out a 4473 you will have to make a choice,turn it in to be destroyed or do what our ancecters did 235 years ago.they gave them to the enemy bullets first.this is going through the minds of every sagia owner who filled out the 4473 right now.i believe most will turn them in as long as they are still allowed to watch football and basketball.don't call me names because i am telling the truth.

Your tinfoil hat is on too tight, asshat.

I haven't made the jump from a Saiag-12 not being allowed to be imported in the future because it's reclassified as non-sporting, to it being confiscated as NFA.

lunker

you are obviously ignorant about striker 12s,street sweepers and usas shotguns.do yourself a favor and google what i just told you.this way you will not be ignorant to what happened to them.fact not fiction.by your low post count you should not be calling anybody names until you know what you are talking about.that is why you are a NEWBIE.

Edited by bigmegina

i can see the point about the PG and choose to leave my lone saiga in unconverted state..they have there place and they dont...i do not know jack about lone star but that guy seems to have his head screwed on straight from where i stand...i would send your saiga out and have internals polished and such (trigger work) and upgraded to a nice wooden stock...the saiga as imported is not more then likely going to be classified as a DD...it is in sporting config as it is imported..yes things change and laws change but do not believe the hype until this actually happens...

bringing up streetsweepers is a non issue as that gun was a total POS back then and you should avoid them at all cost...what the issue really is.is saigas are just too damn easy to be converted on the kitchen table and thats what pisses off the atf to no end..when the saiga must go out for an expensive conversion and cost 10 times to buy then all will be ok with the powers that be...personally i like a very nice functioning shotgun and your saiga can be that in stock form with minimal investment..and yes i dislike any PG on a shotty...but gotta admit they look kewl as hell when they are converted...

ps: i really think you would have a beautiful functioning shotty with trigger work, polished internals and some real nice walnut..anyhow thats what i an going to do and in stock condition like that it is not going to be a DD and who needs to put up with all that DD shit..not me

Edited by snooter