• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SGL31 with 1P29 (Top) and PK-A (Bottom)     SGL31 with PK-A   PKA         SGL31 with PK01-VS     S12 with PK01-VS           SGL31 with PO 3.5x21P     7.62x39 Re

STK Railed HG     X300 light, PK01-VS optic   LHV47 HG with Ultimak   LHV47 HG   Ultimak with Vltor offset scout mount and G2 light       Couple things I fooled around with for

S12 with PK-AS red dot (Excellent red dot, not recommended for an S12 however)       PK-AS elevation shaft coming out under S12 recoil   SGL31 with PK-AS   SLR105A1 with PK-AS  

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Zen- Is that PKA-VS really as sweet as it looks? Where on earth can I get one? Just (literally just signed for the package) got my Ultimak M2-B/Primary Arms micro (will post pics installed tonight- I have some Dremel-Fu to practice first), and now I'm second guessing my choice!!!

Sweet collection of beautiful optics!

Bo,

If you mean the PK01-VS unfortunately they are not in production right now. These kinds of optics are only available on military overrun contracts and they haven't ordered a new batch yet.

Don't sh*tcan the Ultimak combo just yet, it works fine. I'm a bigger fan of side rail mounts but if you've already spent on the Ultimak go ahead and use it, at least you'll have experience with it. I've used the same setup and I do like it, I just like side rail's more. For me cowitness isn't important and I don't try to bend the AK around the concept, I've had much greater satisfaction out of using optics designed by Russians for Russian rifles. They go well together, however the Ultimak does work and I like the concept still.

Also when it comes to red dot combloc optics my money is on the Rakurz over anything else hands down. I really like combloc red dots (particularly the PK-AS) but the Rakurz is IMO the best of them all. Always on post reticule and it's tritium illuminated...no batteries and no circuitry to break.

Z

Ok, as promised. I did a hack job with the Dremel fitting it on, and it is by no means finished, but you get the idea:

post-20073-0-01259100-1307395099_thumb.jpg

WHO says factory HG's can't be "tactical"? Just shaddup and add a rail already!

post-20073-0-00538700-1307395129_thumb.jpg

Yeah.

Edited by bohound
  • Like 1

1P78 Kashtan

2.8x magnification

1P78Kashtan74MLeft.JPG

1P78Kashtan_Z_SGL31_PartizanSummerRight01.JPG

1P78-ReticuleDay01.JPG

Tritium Illumination...again no batteries and no electronics.

1P78-Tritium.JPG

1P76 Rakurz - Military Version

1P76-Z-S12_Rakurz_PartizanSummer.JPG

Rakurz-A1_Rakurz.JPG

More Kobra EKP-1S-03M

KobraS12_PartizanSummerLeft.JPG

Kobra_SGL31_GorkaAutumnLeft.jpg

Pk02 in RS AKM Mount

30mm mount for Aimpoint, works with PK02 and PK23 red dot, or other 30mm optics.

Cowitness only when rear sight leaf is on battlesight (300m) but you can remove the dust cover while mounted.

PK02-HorseMount-Left-SGL31Poly.JPG

PK02-HorseMount-Left-SGL31Close.JPG

PK02HorseMount-Dot.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 3

You sir dun done it. I feel the need for some Russian optics. Now how much am I going to have to spend? A grand? That is too much for me but I like them. I would hope to afford two or hopefully three for a thousand bucks. I really think I want one of the nspu scopes but don't know enough about them to make an educated decision.

It all depends on what you get but even the most expensive optics run about $500 or less. 1P29 is a bit more, NSPU's are $300-$400

For the NSPU just try to get one with a case and all the goodies in the box, AA battery modification and ideally the AK74 and RPK74 cam for collectibility sake.

Z

There are 4 5.45x39 optics that I know of: PO 3.5x21P, Zeiss ZFK, 1P29 and now the 1P78 Kashtan.

Kashtan is awesome and probably the best of these optics IMO. Not my favorite just yet because I adore the 1P29, but it's probably the simplest and most ergonomic of the 4, at least for what it seems like most westerners want and seem to be most familiar with... low and centered over the bore like an ACOG or Aimpoint.

Kashtan to me seems to have the best features of each of the 4 main 5.45 optics and it seems like it's the most modern design of them too. Pretty low, centered over the bore, comfortable eye relief made perfect everytime by the eye cup, no batteries, no electronics and it feels like it's built like a tank.

FOV is similar to PO 3.5x21P (PO is 3.5x, Kashtan is 2.8x with the overall view at distance pretty wide for both) but Kashtan is much lighter. Tritium illumination instead of batteries like the PO...I'm really happy with this feature in particular. The Zeiss has really nice optical quality of course but for some people the reticule is a tad busy plus it's a PSO side rail design (eye relief and chin weld) which turns some people off. I love the Zeiss and can't wait to add one to the collection but they aren't for everyone in my experience.

While I love the 1P29 design, most people that have used mine to shoot have said that it isn't that much fun. The concept is pretty alien to a lot of people but it's actually pretty ingenious if you know how it works. I love it, but many people don't for one reason or another. OTOH Kashtan is much more familiar for most people and so far everyone I know that has shot with it has really liked it. The reticule is clean and simple, it's a very point and shoot optic and works really well at longer ranges.

If you look at the pic of the day light reticule you can see a small triangle hanging next to the large steel target. I'd say it's 6-8" on a side. Today at 300 yards I was hitting that target about 85% of the time with the Kashtan /SGL31. It was extremely easy and not surprising at all.

1P29 is intended for one shot hits out to 400m, and so is PO 3.5x21P. 400m for an AK74 seems to be the magic range for Russians btw, PK-AS is also designed for one shot hits at that range as well and I bet if I dig up some info on Rakurz it will be the same. Basically PO 3.5 achieves this by zeroing with the top cross at 100m but then using the chevron below it for actual shooting, the difference in reticule position gives center mass hits at 400m and headshots at 100m if you use the design properly. My understanding of 1P29 is the same, you zero at 100m but want your POI to be something like 25cm high, this gives you COM hits again at 400m. I need to check the manual again about the exact numbers but for PO 3.5 the difference between the top cross and the chevron works out to 22cm I believe, so this makes sense for the difference in POI on 1P29 also. I should probably read the manual on Kashtan but I think it will be the same...zero so that 100m the reticule is somewhat below POI and then you should be on at 400 using the main chevron. I'll check it soon to be sure, I could be wrong.

1P29 also has a cam for changing range sort of like the elevation turrets on PSO optics. OTOH Kashtan and PO3.5 both use reticule lines only for BDC drop at distance, neither has turrets that are intended to move after zeroing is complete. This is the fast acquisition part of the design where everything is done with the reticule and not the scope controls. All 3 have range finders, 1P29 and PO 3.5 use the standard choke scale range finder but Kashtan uses a width/mils type calculation similar to the Zeiss. Miglan20 did an awesome writeup on the Kashtan over on theakforum that details how the range finder works.

So all in all I think Kashtan is probably the best of the available 5.45 optics. It's also current issue in the Russian army...pretty amazing that we have access to them already. I'm glad too, it's a hell of a scope.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

PnvYC.jpg

But yea there's my beloved new setup. Bobro extended with a leupold VX-R 2-7x33mm and butler creek caps. Hides the gawdy gold ring exactly as I suspected it would.

Edited by Tombs
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well here's mine. Still trying to get it all sighted in. Haven't had the time this summer, which thankfully translates to more money, :angel:

My CAI RPK with a NcStar 2-7x32 scope with choke style reticle in black/red/green. Doesn't cowitness but detaches quick and the Legion Arms(?) rail is notched perfectly to allow irons use. This will have to do till I can get it Bullpupped.

post-15573-0-13774700-1314307971_thumb.jpg

post-15573-0-22039100-1314308071_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few new ones

The space age 1P63 Obzor ‘red dot’ manufactured by NPZ, though it doesn’t really have a dot for a reticule as you can see. And actually it isn’t called 1P63 anymore either, apparently NPZ has changed the design somewhat and given 1P63 to another very similar model. The ones we can buy currently appear to be just called Obzor, 1P63 isn’t labeled on them from what I can see. It could also be just a civilian version difference, for example some models of Rakurs are marked 1P76 and some are only marked Rakurs.

Just as I feel the 1P76 Rakurs is a modernized version of the PK-AS red dot, I feel like Obzor’s closest relative is the Kobra, though to be honest that impression might be mainly due to the similarity of reticule patterns vs design. In actuality I don’t think there is anything on the market quite like the Obzor but to me it has the most affinity with the Kobra vs other types.

LiquidMetal has done an excellent review and Voron from theakforum.net has one as well so I don’t have too much technical detail to add other than this optic is tritium illuminated and never requires batteries. A full review of Obzor and the other major variants of red dot’s is in progress, so more details on Obzor and how it compares with the other red dot’s will be forth coming. I will say that I am immediately impressed with Obzor, my experience with combloc optics has been favorable and I think Obzor is a good design so far.

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_LeftClose.JPG

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_Left.JPG

Bottom and top light sensors for daylight reticule

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_BottomSensor.JPG

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_TopSensor.JPG

Elevation and windage

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_RearControls.JPG

Filter on/off (to reduce glare and bring out the contrast of the reticle better)

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_RightClose01.JPG

Daylight reticule

Tritium is similar…no triangle in the middle and the overall size is smaller, it fits in the empty space around the triangle. Tough to get a pic but hopefully you get the idea

1P63Obzor_Reticule_01.JPG

Also picked up a PK01-V model with the type-E high mount, I’d rather actually have the lower A mount but I don’t mind keeping this for the collection. PK01-V is similar to an Aimpoint, I can’t comment on the battery life yet though it’s probably nowhere near the insanity of a typical Aimpoint. Price is decent at $300ish for the PK01 series and based on other combloc red dot’s I have like PK23 I think PK01V is going to be a dependable optic. PK01-V is not related to PK01-VS, the two appear to be very different designs. PK01-VA designates the older A low mount that uses 30mm rings to position the optic over the receiver and PK01-VE designates the newer higher mount where the rail is centered itself and the rings sit directly on top. Also with PK01-VE you can remove the spacer just above the locking lever to bring it down lower if you need to. (To add to the confusion some vendors will call the optic PK01VA or VE regardless of what kind of mount they ship with, some call it PK01V and the optic is actually labelled PK01-Vi )

PK01-VA_SGL31-44LeftClose.JPG

PK01-VA_SGL31-44Left.JPG

PK-01V vs PK01-VS

PK01-VA_PK01-VS_01.JPG

I was fortunate enough to pickup an NPZ universal siderail mount for AK’s and SVD’s. It’s not super light but it’s really nice and immediately makes me think this is the best of the combloc side mounts available. KV04 is the lightest and BP02 is dependable even though heavy, but everyone always says the Molot mount is the best of them all partly because it’s almost as light as the KV04. I generally agree except that I prefer the sturdiness of the NPZ clamping mechanism over any other design out there, to me that’s worth a bit of extra weight.

AK_Siderails_BP02_NPZ_Molot_KV04-01.JPG

AK_Siderails_BP02_NPZ_Molot_KV04-02.JPG

KV04

AKRail_KV04_SGL31-44.JPG

Molot

AKRail_Molot_SGL31-44.JPG

NPZ

AKRail_NPZ_SGL31-44.JPG

AKRail_NPZ_NDM86.JPG

Lastly I ran into one of the rarest optics I’ve ever seen from BelOMO, the PO4x24P:

PO4x24P_NPZ-Mount.JPG

PO4x24P_SGL31-44Left01.JPG

PO4x24P_Reticule.JPG

PO4x24P_SGL31-44LeftFront.JPG

PO4x24P_Certificate.JPG

Weight is on the higher side when you add in the mount, but it’s still lighter than PO 3.5x21P. Size is similar to 1P78 Kashtan also as you can see.

PO4x24P_1P78_PO3.5x21P.JPG

This optic is not in production, I believe it was intended to sell to the Russian military but only a handful of models have been built. This is apparently one of two in the US and one of less than 10 available from BelOMO. It’s similar to the PO 3.5x21P but somewhat lighter. IMO optical clarity is excellent but again not quite what the PO 3.5 delivers. Reticule pattern is similar, it is illuminated by batteries similar to how the PSO series is done and it has an adjustable diopter. I’m not sure what this version is calibrated for, the manual doesn’t seem to say but I need someone who speaks Russian to verify. To me it’s an interesting optic and one of about 5 from BelOMO/LEMT that I’ve been wanting to get ahold of.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

Have you used the Obzor on the S-12 yet or will all of that come out in your review latter. I have been looking at it recently for the wife she likes a higher mounter optic and if can handle the S-12 I may consider it I have been waiting for you to post something about the Obzor I figured it would only be a matter of time and although I want to know how it handles a S-12 the wife would be putting it on a S-410. Thanks.

I haven't been out to shoot clays with Obzor but I have mounted it on the S12 and think it will do fine. It is higher than Rakurs which is something to consider, but I haven't had any issues with clays or slugs using Rakurs so Obzor feels pretty good to me despite it being a little taller. This is something that you will have to figure out yourself though, not everyone is comfortable with the height of some of these optics. It may not be the best first combloc optic to use, but if you are ok with this height in general on other optics I think you'll probably like it. I'm really impressed with the design and construction and it may replace Rakurs as my favorite.

Durability on the S12 I think will be fine also, Obzor really seems to be built like a tank.

1P63Obzor_S12_Left.JPG

Z

While I'm at it, a few pics of the new AKARS top rail cover by Parabellum LLC. Replaces the AK top cover and rear sight leaf but has built in irons that replace the leaf. I picked this rail over the TWS mainly because the TWS uses a peep for irons and I don't care for them on my AK's, I prefer the standard notch sight.

Pics, rail seems really nice so far but not ready to do a review just yet

PO 4x24P

PO4x24P_AKARS_Left.JPG

PK01-Vi

(Cowitnesses nicely FYI)

PK01V_AKARS_Left.JPG

Beat to hell Konus MRD

MRD_AKARS_Left.JPG

PO4x24P_AKARS_LeftStock.JPG

PO4x24P_AKARS_LeftOpen.JPG

The rear notch for the irons is much wider than expected, actually about the same width as the FSB ears

AKARS_Irons.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • 1 month later...