NPZ PO 4x24 after being moved forward with the regular AK style mount.

Here's some comparison pictures.

Factory NPZ AK mount, supposedly: I think they should call it the saiga sporter mount, since that's what it's intended for.

MAhAV.jpg

AK mount:

hs5Uz.jpg

Also PKAS hanging out in the bottom, I suggest using it with the cover stowed that way so you can keep the adjustment tool with you.

j3qbc.jpg

Edited by Tombs
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SGL31 with 1P29 (Top) and PK-A (Bottom)     SGL31 with PK-A   PKA         SGL31 with PK01-VS     S12 with PK01-VS           SGL31 with PO 3.5x21P     7.62x39 Re

STK Railed HG     X300 light, PK01-VS optic   LHV47 HG with Ultimak   LHV47 HG   Ultimak with Vltor offset scout mount and G2 light       Couple things I fooled around with for

S12 with PK-AS red dot (Excellent red dot, not recommended for an S12 however)       PK-AS elevation shaft coming out under S12 recoil   SGL31 with PK-AS   SLR105A1 with PK-AS  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick post on my never ending quest to acquire all the Russian optics -

PGO-7B

The PGO-7B was originally designed for the RPG-7 but there are a few pics floating around of them being used on AKS-74's in the Russian Afghanistan war. I always thought they were interesting optics for a rifle but wasn't sure if they could really be zeroed on an AK...some say yes and some say no. After fiddling with these now I'm 100% sure they can be zeroed and actually used to engage targets with. Good news is that once you figure it out it's pretty easy to get it dialed in.

They are a little tricky to zero when you first look at them because while the windage is pretty obvious the elevation is different than most Russian optics. Instead of trajectory up and trajectory down as normal, the PGO only has a simple + and - sign on the elevation turret and it only moves a tiny bit when changed between the two settings. It's also on the bottom where you don't normally expect to find it. I was perplexed for a while because I wasn't sure if it was even intended for the elevation to change (I don't have any experience with RPG's and so don't know) but after some semi-educated guess work I discovered that if you loosen the 3 screws on the elevation turret you can use a screw driver to turn the center screw, which then moves the reticule in the FOV. While it doesn't seem possible to bring the boresight cross low enough to use as the POA, it is possible to bring the grid pattern down far enough so that the very top line and the double center lines can be used as the POA. The optic is 2.8x I believe and has a decent FOV along with a 2.7m range finder incase you are engaging Yao Ming or some other NBA star

The new optic I picked up is has a 1971 data plate with a second 1980 date code. I'm not sure if the second year is the 'best used by' date or if it's a new plate adding showing the optic was retrofitted or upgraded somehow. These are illuminated and use the same style bulb as the PSO series, though all the PGO bulbs I've run across have been a flat amber instead of red. Also note that the Chinese versions of the PGO do not appear to fit most AK rails, I've heard that the Chinese mount is slightly smaller than the Russian original. And while the NPZ style clamp is slightly different than other rifle optics it can be adjusted and fits all the SGL and SLR pattern rifles I have and seems like it will hold zero.

Enjoy:

PGO-7B_Soviet_SLR105_01.JPG

PGO-7B_Soviet_SLR105_02.JPG

PGO-7B_Soviet_Left.JPG

1971 data plate with 1980 date as well

PGO-7B_Soviet_Right.JPG

Comparison to what I believe is the BelOMO version of the PGO-7

PGO-7B_Soviet_PGO7B_BlackLeft.JPG

Loosen these three screws and then turn the center screw to adjust elevation

PGO-7B_Soviet_ElevationScrews.JPG

POA can be adjusted so that the top horizontal line (range line 2) and the double center line match POI

PGO-7B_Reticule.JPG

Edit: other info here:

http://forums.gunboa...scope-(updated)

PGO-7B_Afghanistan.jpg

NIT-A

I think it has always been one of the more interesting looking Russian optics and it has without doubt set the standard for being the highest mounted optic that I believe I've seen on AK (in person anyway). You guys who like cowitness might as well skip this review, NIT-A is liable to give you a heart attack due to how high it sits. icon_smile_cool.gif

I passed on the NIT-A when they made a brief appearance in the States back in 2005-2006, but I have always wished that I would have picked one up when I had the chance. As luck would have it I recently bumped into a friendly overseas collector who had one for a good price so I snagged it and after getting ahold of it in person I really wished I would have bought one a long time ago when they were available.

First thing out of the box I learned something very interesting about NIT...it is the forerunner of the space age looking Obzor and appears to use the same light gathering sensor method of making the reticule always on. The lense coating is the same purplish color and the reticule is the same green illumination, it has a switch for darkening the view to make the reticle higher contrast and it is tritium illuminated for low light shooting (or it was tritium lit... mine is almost completely gone). Interestingly to me it uses a smaller version of the German post reticule similar to 1P76 Rakurs instead of the Obzor's pattern. I like the Obzor pattern quite a bit and think it's pretty ingenious actually, but I'm also partial to the more traditional Rakurs.

I had a chance to put a few rounds down range last weekend and FWIW I think the sight is very practical...like Obzor the reticule is easy to acquire and works with both eyes open. When using both eyes and I found it was harder for the NIT-A (and Obzor) to superimpose the reticule image due to the darker tint of the lense, for me it tended to draw me into the shooting eye being dominant which made the rest of the world disappear. Other optics like Rakurs, PK-AS and Kobra are generally easier to keep the reticule superimposed because the both eyes are seeing mostly the same background, whereas NIT-A is pretty clearly darker in one eye than the other. Still works but I found it required more concentration to keep both eyes open and during different periods my dominant eye would switch on at random. The height of NIT-A is actually very comfortable when standing up...not so much sitting down and I think it might be tough using it when prone. One thing I believe is probably true about Russian optics is that it's not an accident some of them are so high, I think they are designed for CQB/ on the move, as well as for using ballistic helmets like the K6-3 Altyn for example. With the visor down there is really no way to get on the irons from what I can see and concepts like cowitness go out the window too, so I believe part of the reason NIT-A is high is for helmet use.

This isn't one of the optics I'd recommend running out and getting for everyday use but I find it to be a pretty interesting addition to the collection and will be looking forward to getting more range time with it.

Pics:

SLG31 simulating an AK74M

NIT-A_SGL31-61_Left.jpg

NIT-A_LeftClose.jpg

NIT-A_RightClose.jpg

NIT-A_Rear.jpg

The family

NIT-A_Obzor_Rakurs_Left.jpg

NIT-A reticule

NIT-A_Reticule.jpg

1P76 Rakurs

Rakurs_Reticule.JPG

1P63 Obzor

1P63Obzor_Reticule_01.JPG

Shooting position from the bench

NIT-A_SLR105_Blondie.jpg

NIT light sensors

NIT-A_LightSensorLeft.jpg

NIT-A_LightSensorRight.jpg

Obzor light sensors

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_TopSensor.JPG

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_BottomSensor.JPG

On the S12

NIT-A_S12_Left.jpg

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • 1 month later...

Another quick post on my never ending quest to acquire all the Russian optics -

PGO-7B

The PGO-7B was originally designed for the RPG-7 but there are a few pics floating around of them being used on AKS-74's in the Russian Afghanistan war. I always thought they were interesting optics for a rifle but wasn't sure if they could really be zeroed on an AK...some say yes and some say no. After fiddling with these now I'm 100% sure they can be zeroed and actually used to engage targets with. Good news is that once you figure it out it's pretty easy to get it dialed in.

They are a little tricky to zero when you first look at them because while the windage is pretty obvious the elevation is different than most Russian optics. Instead of trajectory up and trajectory down as normal, the PGO only has a simple + and - sign on the elevation turret and it only moves a tiny bit when changed between the two settings. It's also on the bottom where you don't normally expect to find it. I was perplexed for a while because I wasn't sure if it was even intended for the elevation to change (I don't have any experience with RPG's and so don't know) but after some semi-educated guess work I discovered that if you loosen the 3 screws on the elevation turret you can use a screw driver to turn the center screw, which then moves the reticule in the FOV. While it doesn't seem possible to bring the boresight cross low enough to use as the POA, it is possible to bring the grid pattern down far enough so that the very top line and the double center lines can be used as the POA. The optic is 2.8x I believe and has a decent FOV along with a 2.7m range finder incase you are engaging Yao Ming or some other NBA star

The new optic I picked up is has a 1971 data plate with a second 1980 date code. I'm not sure if the second year is the 'best used by' date or if it's a new plate adding showing the optic was retrofitted or upgraded somehow. These are illuminated and use the same style bulb as the PSO series, though all the PGO bulbs I've run across have been a flat amber instead of red. Also note that the Chinese versions of the PGO do not appear to fit most AK rails, I've heard that the Chinese mount is slightly smaller than the Russian original. And while the NPZ style clamp is slightly different than other rifle optics it can be adjusted and fits all the SGL and SLR pattern rifles I have and seems like it will hold zero.

Enjoy:

PGO-7B_Soviet_SLR105_01.JPG

PGO-7B_Soviet_SLR105_02.JPG

PGO-7B_Soviet_Left.JPG

1971 data plate with 1980 date as well

PGO-7B_Soviet_Right.JPG

Comparison to what I believe is the BelOMO version of the PGO-7

PGO-7B_Soviet_PGO7B_BlackLeft.JPG

Loosen these three screws and then turn the center screw to adjust elevation

PGO-7B_Soviet_ElevationScrews.JPG

POA can be adjusted so that the top horizontal line (range line 2) and the double center line match POI

PGO-7B_Reticule.JPG

Edit: other info here:

http://forums.gunboa...scope-(updated)

PGO-7B_Afghanistan.jpg

NIT-A

I think it has always been one of the more interesting looking Russian optics and it has without doubt set the standard for being the highest mounted optic that I believe I've seen on AK (in person anyway). You guys who like cowitness might as well skip this review, NIT-A is liable to give you a heart attack due to how high it sits. icon_smile_cool.gif

I passed on the NIT-A when they made a brief appearance in the States back in 2005-2006, but I have always wished that I would have picked one up when I had the chance. As luck would have it I recently bumped into a friendly overseas collector who had one for a good price so I snagged it and after getting ahold of it in person I really wished I would have bought one a long time ago when they were available.

First thing out of the box I learned something very interesting about NIT...it is the forerunner of the space age looking Obzor and appears to use the same light gathering sensor method of making the reticule always on. The lense coating is the same purplish color and the reticule is the same green illumination, it has a switch for darkening the view to make the reticle higher contrast and it is tritium illuminated for low light shooting (or it was tritium lit... mine is almost completely gone). Interestingly to me it uses a smaller version of the German post reticule similar to 1P76 Rakurs instead of the Obzor's pattern. I like the Obzor pattern quite a bit and think it's pretty ingenious actually, but I'm also partial to the more traditional Rakurs.

I had a chance to put a few rounds down range last weekend and FWIW I think the sight is very practical...like Obzor the reticule is easy to acquire and works with both eyes open. When using both eyes and I found it was harder for the NIT-A (and Obzor) to superimpose the reticule image due to the darker tint of the lense, for me it tended to draw me into the shooting eye being dominant which made the rest of the world disappear. Other optics like Rakurs, PK-AS and Kobra are generally easier to keep the reticule superimposed because the both eyes are seeing mostly the same background, whereas NIT-A is pretty clearly darker in one eye than the other. Still works but I found it required more concentration to keep both eyes open and during different periods my dominant eye would switch on at random. The height of NIT-A is actually very comfortable when standing up...not so much sitting down and I think it might be tough using it when prone. One thing I believe is probably true about Russian optics is that it's not an accident some of them are so high, I think they are designed for CQB/ on the move, as well as for using ballistic helmets like the K6-3 Altyn for example. With the visor down there is really no way to get on the irons from what I can see and concepts like cowitness go out the window too, so I believe part of the reason NIT-A is high is for helmet use.

This isn't one of the optics I'd recommend running out and getting for everyday use but I find it to be a pretty interesting addition to the collection and will be looking forward to getting more range time with it.

Pics:

SLG31 simulating an AK74M

NIT-A_SGL31-61_Left.jpg

NIT-A_LeftClose.jpg

NIT-A_RightClose.jpg

NIT-A_Rear.jpg

The family

NIT-A_Obzor_Rakurs_Left.jpg

NIT-A reticule

NIT-A_Reticule.jpg

1P76 Rakurs

Rakurs_Reticule.JPG

1P63 Obzor

1P63Obzor_Reticule_01.JPG

Shooting position from the bench

NIT-A_SLR105_Blondie.jpg

NIT light sensors

NIT-A_LightSensorLeft.jpg

NIT-A_LightSensorRight.jpg

Obzor light sensors

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_TopSensor.JPG

1P63Obzor_SGL31-44_BottomSensor.JPG

On the S12

NIT-A_S12_Left.jpg

Z

TX-Zen, great stuff!! This thread has been a big help in the decision making process.

I’m thinking of using the Weaver PK-AS version and mounting it using the Parabellum AKARS, would you happen to have any pictures of this setup? I would like to see how high it will be off the top of the rail. Oh, by the way I have an SGL31-94 if that helps.

Jason

J,

No pics of the PK-AS Weaver version, I don't own one unfortunately. I will say that the PK-AS is right at 1.75 inches tall from the base of the elevation screw to the center of the FOV. I'd estimate the Weaver version to have approximately 1 inch extra due to the base, so I'd feel ok saying about 2.75" height above the rail.

Z

J, No pics of the PK-AS Weaver version, I don't own one unfortunately. I will say that the PK-AS is right at 1.75 inches tall from the base of the elevation screw to the center of the FOV. I'd estimate the Weaver version to have approximately 1 inch extra due to the base, so I'd feel ok saying about 2.75" height above the rail. Z

Thanks for the reply Z, I think I'll go ahead and get it.

Jason

• 1 month later...

Well I went ahead and picked up the PK-ASw and the TWS Dog Leg. The sight does sit up a little high but I knew that going in, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem I can always put on a temporary cheek riser of some sorts that can be easily removed when I want to fold the stock.

IMG_6060.jpgIMG_6059.jpgIMG_6056.jpg

Jason

Edited by jschill

I recently picked up the PO3.5x21P2.

gallery_32336_968_2034398.jpg

Optic and accessories

gallery_32336_968_637240.jpg

This version takes AA batteries.

gallery_32336_968_19189.jpg

Day reticle

gallery_32336_968_556294.jpg

Illuminated reticle

gallery_32336_968_302066.jpg

Atop my Saiga 7.62 via the Midwest Industries side rail mount.

gallery_32336_968_490962.jpg

Anybody know what this thing is for? Its the size and shape of a AA battery. This has positive terminals at both ends.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...