My Saiga 12 LRBHO Report

Got a LRBHO S12, and I thought you guys might like to know this.

As discussed before, the LRBHO mags have a freakishly high follower and a extra area milled out at the rear, compared to regular mags/drums. The when the bolt is retracted it locks open, and when the mag is removed, the action stays open. The area at the rear of the tower that is removed looks like it was done with a dull hand file after a vodka lunch.

Works great with these specialized mags.

The older Saiga 5 rounders from a non-LRBH S12 inserted easily and locked into place. They function, but of course will not hold the bolt back/activate the LRBHO.

However and Sadly, my new Gen 2 AGP mags, AND new MD Arms drums will not lock into place at all, as far as I can tell because the LRBHO device interferes with the conventional rear tower. I expect that with a file one could remove some material on the mag/drum like on the new LRBHO mags, and they would lock into place. Without the high follower I dont think it will lock it open, of course.

Personally, I kind of like the purity of my non-LRBHO model, its got less parts to break/malfunction, and I dont have to carve up my precious overpriced feeding devices to accommodate it.

I love this board, thanks all for the great info.

• Like 2

I was feling sort of bad about not having the feature on my S-12, but after reading this I guess I am better off...and I am only dealing with half a dozen factory-5's and a couple of 10 rounders. However before thinking of a second Saiga Shotgun, I'll keep in mind the lack of compatability between models.

With 10 drums and nearly 40- 2 and 5 round mags, it looks like the LRBHO is off of my list because I am not starting over on mags. I think I'll just stick with the closed bolt loading mod. It works with all of my mags.

I was feling sort of bad about not having the feature on my S-12, but after reading this I guess I am better off...and I am only dealing with half a dozen factory-5's and a couple of 10 rounders. However before thinking of a second Saiga Shotgun, I'll keep in mind the lack of compatability between models.

You can shoot both the new and old gun with new or old mags. That's pretty good, really.

Then to get the LRBHO functionality requires only some minor mods.

Sounds like a winner to me...

Take your old mags, clearance the back of the mag body to clear the LRBHO tab.

Take a 1/2" wide x 2 1/2" long strip of 16ga steel and bend it 90 degrees, 3/4" from one end.

Use 3M double sided mounting tape and stick that on your old follower, as far back as you can, reassemble the mag.

Get your dremel out and trim/round the tab so it doesn't hang as the follower goes up and down, and insert test fit it in the gun.

Put one (dummy) round in the mag.... mark the tab if it pokes up and can get hit by the bolt on the last round. Trim until it won't.

Now see if the tab you just added will hit the LRBHO and activate it, with the old mag.

I find that Promags have the widest channel for the shell rim and don't bind at all with the tab shifting the bottom round forward a smidge... YMMV

See if that works for you.

thanks for the report, now i dont know whether to cancel my LRBHO saiga that Kvar says will ship in 10 days. Already have a new reg saiga. Leaning to cancel based on this report that existing reg saiga aftermarket mags wont function at all in the new BHO model.

Take a 1/2" wide x 2 1/2" long strip of 16ga steel and bend it 90 degrees, 3/4" from one end.

Use 3M double sided mounting tape and stick that on your old follower, as far back as you can, reassemble the mag.

Get your dremel out and trim/round the tab so it doesn't hang as the follower goes up and down, and insert test fit it in the gun.

Put one (dummy) round in the mag.... mark the tab if it pokes up and can get hit by the bolt on the last round. Trim until it won't.

Now see if the tab you just added will hit the LRBHO and activate it, with the old mag.

I find that Promags have the widest channel for the shell rim and don't bind at all with the tab shifting the bottom round forward a smidge... YMMV

Sounds simple enough if I'm understanding you correctly. But isn't it necessary to make the "L" tab more permanent on the follower, i.e. JB Weld and small recessed flat-head screws? Have you tried this mag mod and does it really work every time? Any chance for some pics?

Can you make a video?

Wouldnt work on the drums.

But you might be able to relief enough material to at least allow the 109BHO to accept the drums, even if you can't get them to activate the LRBHO. Still just a thought until somebody takes a look at it. My 109BHO is still stuck in AZ due to "extreme weather," whatever that means.

:(

This will certainly be one of the first things I try to get working.

Sounds simple enough if I'm understanding you correctly. But isn't it necessary to make the "L" tab more permanent on the follower, i.e. JB Weld and small recessed flat-head screws? Have you tried this mag mod and does it really work every time? Any chance for some pics?

No problem, just don't bust me too hard on my fit and finish.

This may seem hard to believe, but even when the tab missed the hold open, the 3M doublesided tape was strong enough to stop the bolt on the tab itself. At least I know it's just empty and the gun hasn't shit the bed.

gallery_20718_478_153463.jpggallery_20718_478_392931.jpg

Edited by Heath_h49008
  • Like 1

I need to put the standard disclaimers here... this is an example of what MIGHT work for you. I do not consider it safe, nor will I be held liable if anyone tries this tab trick and spends $5 and they find a way to blow themselves or others up in the process.

That being said, it has NOT been tried on the new Russian LRBHO guns. It was used in another prototype.

No problem, just don't bust me too hard on my fit and finish.

This may seem hard to believe, but even when the tab missed the hold open, the 3M doublesided tape was strong enough to stop the bolt on the tab itself. At least I know it's just empty and the gun hasn't shit the bed.

Thank you, Heath. Wow... that is indeed a simple straightforward solution. And what I REALLY love about it is it's ultra-cheap... that's my kind of fix. You've had no issues with it ever? Oh... and I don't care what it looks like as long as it works!! What brand/model prototype LRBHO are you using?

Edited by Mike1234567

Thank you, Heath. Wow... that is indeed a simple straightforward solution. And what I REALLY love about it is it's ultra-cheap... that's my kind of fix. You've had no issues with it ever? Oh... and I don't care what it looks like as long as it works!! What brand/model prototype LRBHO are you using?

My own version of the Russian I fabricated. No, the LRBHO isn't a simple design, but before the Russian mags were available, it was the only way other than the Warfield tab method, or Cadiz Ruger 10-22 shell contact design that I found would work. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

With the new mags it is only useful to update old stick-mags. This trick won't work on the drums. They require a spring loaded fake shell, but I haven't run very far with the design for that.

Edited by Heath_h49008
  • Like 1