whats the best scope to mount on a AK74?

So I have my AK74 set up with a bushnel TRL-25, for close targets, but I know the thing is accurate for alot more distance. I mounted a side rail mount, and like the idea of being able to quickly take a distance scope on and off. I am not much of a scope guy, kinda lost. HOWEVER! I did find a way to replenish my mama dont know funds recently so fuck it.

I was wondering if a Trijicon Acog would be worth mounting on it? I dont see any pics of anyone with one on it, dont know much about them. But I did notice they are 4x mag and have a adjustment out to 800 meters,...but thats for .223 so I doubt its worth putting on a AK74.

I was looking at getting a POSP (think thats the name) but from what I understand, those are not for AK74's, they are for SKS's and my father'n law had one, and didn't like it.

So help me out guys. Is here a good scope to make this rifle effective for the range it is accurate to? Whats brand, model and magnification would you go for?

Also what do you think of this set up? From the previous scope I had, it seemed like the red dot didn't hinder the scopes view.

Oh and do you keep zero when you take the quick mount on and off? and is there a site that will do close red dot and distance?

MY742.jpg

Edited by MikeMacCham

POSP's are great scopes and will work fine on a 74, you'll either need to learn a little hold over for longer ranges, or get the Simonov reticule version which is calibrated in MOA instead of 7.62x54R

The scopes are all roughly the same but the reason they can mount to different rifles is the base mount design which comes in the SVD/SKS pattern (locking lever ontop) and the AK pattern (which has the locking lever on the bottom).

Here's an example of the differences:

Top: Russian 4x24 PSO-1(Original SVD scope)

Middle: Chinese 4x24 (Imported with NDM86's)

Bottom: Russian 4x24 POSP (Civilian version of the PSO)

You can see the first two have SVD mounts, the last has an AK mount. The AK mount is taller to allow the scope to mounted to the taller AK receiver, you can remove the 4 screws at the base and swap to an SVD mount and vice versa.

4x24ComparisonLeft.JPG

POSP 4x24 Simonov reticule

4x24POSPReticuleSimonov.JPG

SGL31

SGL3161PolyFolderPOSP4x24.JPG

For less than $200 you can get a good POSP that will serve you well, plus they don't block irons and you could leave the Ultimak in place.

There are other 5.45 calibrated scopes on the market that were designed specifically for the AK74 but most of them are rare and expensive, FWIW I think the POSP will be the most cost effective way to get a good reliable scope on your rifle.

If it were me thinking about your setup in the pics I'd probably ditch the scope mounted to the side rail and just go with the Ultimak, simple tends to be better IMO. Take a carbine class or two and you'll have a completely different view on what's useful and what's not :)

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1

POSP's are great scopes and will work fine on a 74, you'll either need to learn a little hold over for longer ranges, or get the Simonov reticule version which is calibrated in MOA instead of 7.62x54R

Where do you find these? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Thanks.

You know what, thats a really good point. Screw it, i'm gonna take off the side mount and keep this as a medium target engagement rifle. I have the cash so i'll just buy a distance bolt action for far shots, rather than drill into the reciever of this baby and mount shit all ghetto...

Thanks!

Heard Remington 700's are one sale lol

(If you saw the special the other night how the safety's dont work and they have killed people)

besides a Acog would be half the price of the gun, not to mention half way to a Socom

Edited by MikeMacCham

The scopes are all roughly the same but the reason they can mount to different rifles is the base mount design which comes in the SVD/SKS pattern (locking lever ontop) and the AK pattern (which has the locking lever on the bottom).

Here's an example of the differences:

Top: Russian 4x24 PSO-1(Original SVD scope)

Middle: Chinese 4x24 (Imported with NDM86's)

Bottom: Russian 4x24 POSP (Civilian version of the PSO)

You can see the first two have SVD mounts, the last has an AK mount. The AK mount is taller to allow the scope to mounted to the taller AK receiver, you can remove the 4 screws at the base and swap to an SVD mount and vice versa.

4x24ComparisonLeft.JPG

POSP 4x24 Simonov reticule

4x24POSPReticuleSimonov.JPG

SGL31

SGL3161PolyFolderPOSP4x24.JPG

For less than $200 you can get a good POSP that will serve you well, plus they don't block irons and you could leave the Ultimak in place.

There are other 5.45 calibrated scopes on the market that were designed specifically for the AK74 but most of them are rare and expensive, FWIW I think the POSP will be the most cost effective way to get a good reliable scope on your rifle.

If it were me thinking about your setup in the pics I'd probably ditch the scope mounted to the side rail and just go with the Ultimak, simple tends to be better IMO. Take a carbine class or two and you'll have a completely different view on what's useful and what's not :)

Z

Z, do you have any experience/opinion on the PK-AS-V? Would you classify the POSP 4x24 as being fairly "quick acquisition?" Also, I noticed on the kalinka optics website that the PSO 4x24 is $359 and the POSP 4x24 is $169. I thought they were the exact same scope, what gives? Is the quality of the POSP inferior to the PSO?

Edited by winstonLT

Z, do you have any experience/opinion on the PK-AS-V? Would you classify the POSP 4x24 as being fairly "quick acquisition?" Also, I noticed on the kalinka optics website that the PSO 4x24 is $359 and the POSP 4x24 is $169. I thought they were the exact same scope, what gives? Is the quality of the POSP inferior to the PSO?

I like the PK-AS-V and used to own one a few years ago. Same as a PK-AS-S just higher and center over the bore. For most people it will probably be easier to get used to since there is no left offset, though if you are a fan of the Aimpoint Ultimak combo it will feel tall for sure.

Normally I wouldn't call a 4x scope 'quick acquisition' but after taking Marco Vorobiev's marksmanship class, I do consider it quick acquisition now, or quick enough. We ran some interesting shooting drills and the PSO-1 did extremely well under conditions I would have considered difficult (like shooting from a moving vehicle, not a magnified optics best use).

PSO's and POSP's are not the same scope in the details, but they are the same design, or it might be more accurate to say the PSO came first and the POSP series came later as a simplified cheaper version. PSO's are less common and are actual military grade optics manufactured by NPZ in Novosibirsk, thats a big reason why they are more expensive.

POSP's are Belarusian manufactured by Belomo/LEMT in Minsk. According to all I know about them they are civilian grade but still very tough optics. Both Belomo and NPZ make military grade scopes and both are very high end optics manufacturers that have been in business for a long time. I think the POSP's are plenty tough for civilian use but probably don't meet all the specs that PSO's and so aren't considered military grade. Maybe a good analogy would be the Aimpoint vs PrimaryArms microdot...Aimpoint is famously tough, Primary Arms will do the exact same job at a fraction of the price and be good enough for civilian use.

Z

• Like 1

I like the PK-AS-V and used to own one a few years ago. Same as a PK-AS-S just higher and center over the bore. For most people it will probably be easier to get used to since there is no left offset, though if you are a fan of the Aimpoint Ultimak combo it will feel tall for sure.

Normally I wouldn't call a 4x scope 'quick acquisition' but after taking Marco Vorobiev's marksmanship class, I do consider it quick acquisition now, or quick enough. We ran some interesting shooting drills and the PSO-1 did extremely well under conditions I would have considered difficult (like shooting from a moving vehicle, not a magnified optics best use).

PSO's and POSP's are not the same scope in the details, but they are the same design, or it might be more accurate to say the PSO came first and the POSP series came later as a simplified cheaper version. PSO's are less common and are actual military grade optics manufactured by NPZ in Novosibirsk, thats a big reason why they are more expensive.

POSP's are Belarusian manufactured by Belomo/LEMT in Minsk. According to all I know about them they are civilian grade but still very tough optics. Both Belomo and NPZ make military grade scopes and both are very high end optics manufacturers that have been in business for a long time. I think the POSP's are plenty tough for civilian use but probably don't meet all the specs that PSO's and so aren't considered military grade. Maybe a good analogy would be the Aimpoint vs PrimaryArms microdot...Aimpoint is famously tough, Primary Arms will do the exact same job at a fraction of the price and be good enough for civilian use.

Z

Z, your the man. Thanks for that killer info. I think I will go with the civilian version of the POSP. Hopefully it is actually somewhat waterproof. Once I get some more fundage I will spring for the PK-AS-V. By the way, where did you take that course from Marco Vorobiev? Sounds like a blast!

Edited by winstonLT