223 Questions

Some claim its safe to shoot 556 out of a saiga.

Use Surefire mags and no bullet guide will be needed.

Cost is about the same as mil surplus 223, but the purist will claim when the zombies attack that they are non zombie proof mags.

Surefires also count as 3 922 compliance parts,

PG hole should already be cut.

• Like 1

There's no doubt of this.

Cost is about the same as mil surplus 223, but the purist will claim when the zombies attack that they are non zombie proof mags.

Not purists, just those who want mags that are as tough as the gun. If price is equivalent, the Surefires are a terrible deal. They would be decent as range mags at $15 apiece.

There's no doubt of this.

Not purists, just those who want mags that are as tough as the gun. If price is equivalent, the Surefires are a terrible deal. They would be decent as range mags at $15 apiece.

What are you paying for your 223 mags Jim.

Have you ever owned a Surefire??

Saiga uses polymer mags, as well as KVAR.Arsenal.

All of the Saiga 12s owners also use poly mags.

New modern airline jets also use much composite with no metal reinforcement in the wing and fuselage areas.

For me poly mags will work for any situation that I am dealt with.

Edited by Geo

The most I ever payed was $30 for a Weiger. I've also got Orlites, Galil steels, and Circle 10s.

No, though I have handled and used them, and read reports of them.

New modern airline jets also use much composite with no metal reinforcement in the wing and fuselage areas.

Well, you don't know that for sure. Many all-poly mags have been known to crack at the feedlips on account of being loaded for a long time. Also, there is danger that a drop or hard-prone will result in breaking the mag at the locking tabs.

Besides these things, I don't like the last round BHO of the Surefires, although I understand that this is a feature for some people.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

The most I ever payed was $30 for a Weiger. I've also got Orlites, Galil steels, and Circle 10s.

No, though I have handled and used them, and read reports of them.

Well, you don't know that for sure. Many all-poly mags have been known to crack at the feedlips on account of being loaded for a long time. Also, there is danger that a drop or hard-prone will result in breaking the mag at the locking tabs.

Besides these things, I don't like the last round BHO of the Surefires, although I understand that this is a feature for some people.

Jim

Jim, I pay $20-25 for Surefires,

The S12 guys are drooling for a last round BHO.

Drop a steel mag wrong and you will be working out the dents to get the mag to feed.

Every mag design has its pro and cons.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a .223 rifle can shoot 5.56 but not the other way around... and the Saiga .223 is specifically design for this.

Actually I believe it's the other way around. It is fine to shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but you may potentially run into problems attempting to shoot 5.56 in a .223 rifle. Same disclaimer as you though, somebody correct me if I totally missed it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a .223 rifle can shoot 5.56 but not the other way around... and the Saiga .223 is specifically design for this.

Actually I believe it's the other way around. It is fine to shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but you may potentially run into problems attempting to shoot 5.56 in a .223 rifle. Same disclaimer as you though, somebody correct me if I totally missed it.

It is safe to shoot .223 out of a 5.56 chambered gun, not the other way around. Lucky for us the Saiga 223 is actually chambered to 5.56 Nato. Two months ago there was a thread and a guy measured the part that corresponds to the leade of the cartrage. This leade changes the pressure in the barrel, 223 is a lower pressure while the nato round is high pressure. Just look up 5.56 Nato on wikipedia and it explains the differences in the cartriages. But basically if you want to shoot the round that the Saiga is chambered for, you should shoot 5.56, 223 rem will function in the gun though.

First are the 223 or are they rated for 5.56?

Second is it true that with many Saiga 223s you dont need a bullet guide when converting?

Last do you need to cut a P grip hole on all Saiga 223s or do some have them already?

Thanks

Simple answers...

1. You can reliably shoot either 5.56 or 223 from your Saiga...

2. If you use factory, Surefire and Gasp...Promags with your conversion you will not need a bulletguide, however other mags are readily cheap and available that with a bullet guide will work.

3. PG hole is there already.