I don't think I am going to the next one here in my town in South Dakota.

Over the last 3 years I've been here they've gone from having everything reasonably priced & even bulk surplus ammo.

Now no bulk at all,...nowhere,...and the guys at the tables sell accessories easily identifiable as purchased from online vendors

with a 40% markup.

The guns prices were just as extravagant unless you were looking for something collectible most guns seemed $300 more than what they were worth.

IMHO find another mark/pansy I'm done with you

• Like 1

Over the past few years, I've learned to accept gunshows as more of way to look at guns/maybe handle some/see some cool historical stuff/get some beef jerky.......as opposed to actually buying anything. Honestly, the only actual "deal" I saw at the last local gunshow was a guy selling NIW windowed PMags for like $15. You can't even beat that price online, but that was the only deal I saw all day.

A buddy of mine did get a $130 Gerber multi-tool for like $45, though. But that was because the lady selling them literally had no idea what she was selling, as opposed to it being a great deal. I also saw a douche walking around with a Draco slung over his shoulder. Kid was wearing gear like he was about to go out on some Spec Ops mission. I asked him how much, and he said "It's not for sale, I just brought it because I think it's cool". Then he went on to explain how he's got about $1K in it. Looking at it and the add-ons he had, I have no idea how he turned a $300 gun into a $1K gun. Maybe it had a bolt made of gold, I dunno.

Over the past few years, I've learned to accept gunshows as more of way to look at guns/maybe handle some/see some cool historical stuff/get some beef jerky.......as opposed to actually buying anything. Honestly, the only actual "deal" I saw at the last local gunshow was a guy selling NIW windowed PMags for like $15. You can't even beat that price online, but that was the only deal I saw all day.

A buddy of mine did get a $130 Gerber multi-tool for like $45, though. But that was because the lady selling them literally had no idea what she was selling, as opposed to it being a great deal. I also saw a douche walking around with a Draco slung over his shoulder. Kid was wearing gear like he was about to go out on some Spec Ops mission. I asked him how much, and he said "It's not for sale, I just brought it because I think it's cool". Then he went on to explain how he's got about $1K in it. Looking at it and the add-ons he had, I have no idea how he turned a $300 gun into a $1K gun. Maybe it had a bolt made of gold, I dunno.

+1 on the jerky , lots of free samples here

Ammo and hard to find magazines/gun parts are usually the only "deals" that are out there.

Miwall is the company that tours the Western U.S. gunshows and they had 7.62x39 Wolf Black box for $87/500 in December.

Cheapest I could find Ruger Mark II mags locally was $25, while at the last gunshow they were $20.

Small gun parts like springs, detents, etc. for AR's & 1911's would cost you more in shipping than the cost of the part.

I haven't hit a gunshow in over 3 years. Waste of time and money. By the time you pay for gas, parking, and the entry, you have more than paid for the shipping on the weapon of your choice. Also, some companies like Midway charge as little as 3.50 or less, for shipping small parts. Besides, beef jerky just isn't that hard to come by.

• Like 1

I don't think I am going to the next one here in my town in South Dakota.

Over the last 3 years I've been here they've gone from having everything reasonably priced & even bulk surplus ammo.

Now no bulk at all,...nowhere,...and the guys at the tables sell accessories easily identifiable as purchased from online vendors

with a 40% markup.

The guns prices were just as extravagant unless you were looking for something collectible most guns seemed $300 more than what they were worth.

IMHO find another mark/pansy I'm done with you

This is why I stopped going to gunshows.... The prices on everything are ridiculous............

We have a LOT of gun shows here in Atlanta, I usually do pretty well at them. That is most likely the problem where you are, lack of competition. We have a Prompter here, Eastman, that tries to price-fix at his shows, his shows are in the decline in my opinion for that reason.

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

I think it's a combination of many factors that make gun shows suck.

On one hand, you've got the people still holding out on their '08 panic prices. They made a killing in 08-09 and are reluctant to bring their prices back down to earth.

Also, you've got the internet, which exposes a lot of this crap. Pre-internet you could go to your local show and see all the vendors selling that stock for $50-60 and think that's the going price. But now you can go online and see it selling for $25 and realize those dealers have been ripping people off for ages.

I personally skipped the last couple shows, I just couldn't get myself interested in going to see the same over priced stuff anymore.

But at least the beef jerky is still good :D

• Like 1

But now you can go online and see it selling for $25 and realize those dealers have been ripping people off for ages.

How do they say it now in intertubes #^^^this?

It can all end with a flick of the switch/EXECUTIVE decision now ala EGYPT get what you need NOW.

Binyamin Shalom Bernapky wont stop printing USD till any $ you have is worth two cents.

Edited by sufi pirate

I don't think the internet killed the gun show, I think the gun show killed the gun show. I really came to despise the gun show during the 08 panic. There are 2 or 3 people that are at the AGCA gun show in Birmingham that I will deal with, but most of them don't have decent prices, and of course, the always present attitude is a total turn off. The "Great Southern Gun Show" is the biggest sham I've witnessed locally. Those fucking gun gypsies are the worst.

The problem is a lot of vendors have too much invested in their product, despite the fact that sales have fell off they do not want to lose money. They have forgotten the windfall they received as a result of the last election. I know of one local dealer that was bribing his RRA Rep $200 a rifle to get them in my the pallets when no one else had them. He is hurting now!

The problem is that new vendors come along everyday and can afford to sell for less. The prices will fall, if we don't get a new scare,...

the always present attitude is a total turn off.

Yeah, that shit really doesn't help either. I was at a gun show last year and saw an AR with some sort of gigantic crazy optic on top of it, that looked like a 1980's camcorder. ARs and extreme optics aren't my thing, but hey, I'm a sucker for cool shit, so I took a lot at it for a second, then asked the guy selling it "Hey what does something like that go for?" He turns to me, nasty as all hell "something LIKE that? You want the price for THIS one or one LIKE it? You aren't going to be able to afford this one." No shit. I just turned and walked away.

Classy is right about the AR tables, those guys act like they are selling gold plated orgasms. The ones that crack me up the most are the $599 WASR's and $750 Tapco bolt on non-conversion Saigas.

I felt bad at this one show. I bought a .44mag lever gun off a guy for $300 a few months earlier, and I was looking for a .44mag revolver to go with it. I go to his table and he has 3 single actions. Right next to him is a guy with a Taurus Tracker for $335 total. He looked at me like I was cheating on him!

• Like 1

We have a LOT of gun shows here in Atlanta, I usually do pretty well at them. That is most likely the problem where you are, lack of competition. We have a Prompter here, Eastman, that tries to price-fix at his shows, his shows are in the decline in my opinion for that reason.

I agree Azrial. I've been to several Eastman shows over the last year,and I realize they are little more than fact finding missions for me. A chance to handle and look at different weapons in person, but almost no chance of a decent deal at a Eastman show.

Back before I bought my FNP-40, I was looking at a Springfield XD at one of their shows. Came home and found the same pistol for $75 less online. I've never bought a gun at a gun show. The deals just are not there....

• Like 1

LOL last gunshow I went to one table had a few S12s with the t6 stock on them unconverted with a price tag of 899. I just rolled my eyes and walked on to the next table full of ridiculously overpriced rusted up old ass guns. Ever saw a few nothing special makarovs for 400 or so.

I think gunshows have turned into screwshows......only a screwshow would be more interesting imo.

I dont think internet has ruined the shows, I think the shows have ruined the shows. Be real.....at least once in awhile. Most gun shows around here are like searching for a needle in a hay stack if you want a reasonable deal. Not even worth the trouble.

I really wonder if you guys know how to deal! I may have to write a article on the art of the deal when it comes to gun shows! :lolol:

I most always get a deal better then I could on the Internet! With a gun show you have multiple vendors selling the same article, there is no argument of support, or a better product. Unless a vendor is lucky enough to have the only item of that type there, or there is price fixing in place, how can you not get the best deal?

There is only the bottom line. I am going to buy from the vendor that gives me the best price, period.

• Like 1

Like Azrial said, I've gotten decent deals at shows on some stuff. Other stuff, better deals on the net. There is always room for negotiating at a show just like buying cars. Don't like the deal? Then walk away.

The thing I don't like to see are tables of Bubba Gump handloads packaged in sandwich bags for sale. Who can trust this shit? Surplus and factory ammo is GTG but I think the home brewed crap needs to be banned from shows. I experienced a short recoil in my G19 with Winchester factory ammo resulting in the round being lodged in the barrel. That really convinced me not to trust someone else's handloads.

CK, K.T I know exactly the guys your talking about. Kinda sad that people remember them cuz of their crap! I love the shows! Couple of reasons.

1) I get to check out guns I'm interested in without having to call up a thousand stores to see IF they have one and IF they are open on Sundays. And IF they even know what I'm talking about.

2) Cheap(er) mags. I can still find AK47 mags under $10. They arnt new but they are cheap and they work. Most stores around me sell them for $15 and up

3) AMMO! Nowhere can I get the variety and bulk of ammo I find at a show. I dont normally buy ammo by the thousands but up to 500 rounds is not uncommon. I know that I can order online from vendors who have sales. But when you factor in Shipping the price is the same. Last show I went to I got some French military 30-06. Havent tried them yet but it was $5 for a box of 20. I picked up 3 boxes.

But the best part is listening to all the misinformation that the retards (both vendors and buyers) spread around.

"Hey! How does that AK shoot?" "Its awesome! 1/4in @ 100!!!!"

"Yea you can use x54 in an ak and an x39 in a Nagant. They are both 7.62. The Russians made it that way so they can use whatever ammo they have in any gun!" --- This one was my favorite. One buyer edumacating another buyer on the MN91/30

What can I say its like going to a circus!!

• Like 1

Around here the only ammo we get at the shows is a couple guys who sell 20 year old boxes of hunting ammo for premium prices. Most of these guys try to get $1/rnd for .308... even surplus. .45ACP was $25/50rnds, and that was Blazer Brass that was selling for $9.99 3 years ago.

The market will either change back to reality, or die.

In December was the last show I went to and they had 3 s12s at the whole show. Two were going for $700ea + background and tax. and one was used and they still wanted $500+. I left the show and drove across town to a local shop and picked up one for $514 otd.

The thing I don't like to see are tables of Bubba Gump handloads packaged in sandwich bags for sale. Who can trust this shit?

I ask who loaded it. If they don't know that means its not safe.

I do buy reloads, but it has to be a licensed company.

List prices are starting points. Cash in hand is the best way to start the talking.

And the best deals are found being carried around by your fellow shoppers.

I really wonder if you guys know how to deal! I may have to write a article on the art of the deal when it comes to gun shows! :lolol:

I most always get a deal better then I could on the Internet! With a gun show you have multiple vendors selling the same article, there is no argument of support, or a better product. Unless a vendor is lucky enough to have the only item of that type there, or there is price fixing in place, how can you not get the best deal?

There is only the bottom line. I am going to buy from the vendor that gives me the best price, period.

None of the pricks I meet at the shows want to haggle. It's "take it or leave it" usually accompanied by a assload of bad attitude. With the net I can surf through dozens of sites if I need to, and I still see good deals advertised in the Shotgun News on a regular basis.

The last long arm I bought was a brand new DSA STG58 from AIM Surplus. I paid $995 plus shipping for it. In my opinion that was a hell of a deal. BTW, I've never even seen a FAL at a gunshow I've gone to. Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in haggling with assholes...

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 2

Haven't bought a gun at a show in quite some time. Sure have sold a few though. :super:

Last month I found a few $8 AK mags and a push button Romy wire folder for $40. Every now and then you can find a treasure but for the most part gun shows do indeed suck a fat juan

• Like 2