KVAR's Titanium Nitride Gas Puck

no but i have to wonder: WHATS THE POINT?????? gas pucks dont really have issues with wear, so why would they make this?

hmmm......not sure but its cheaper than most($20), more appealing to my eye, and is a 922r us compliance part so I suppose if you were ordering your conversion kit from kvar that would be the way to go. I would get it, but I alreay have a King Puck ($30).

hmmm.... in that case mabye they do have a point, less sticking means less friction, but i dont think that would make a difference because the gas tube would still have carbon build up and that would interfere with the puck. personally id stick with a puck that is proven to run cleaner and cycle better, like the King Armory puck.

There are much better surfaces for helping to stay clean and the best of them still don't help much at all with the molten plastic. The best there is is a teflon coating but telfon is only good to 600 degrees, really it starts breaking down around 500. We have never raised our gas block temp even close to 500 even from our full auto. But the intermitent gases... We tested 3 different teflon finishes alone... We have tested many, many different coatings and no matter what the piston design (open flowdesign included) none have made much a difference at all. We are still working on the right design but haven't had close to the results we are looking for.

We are also thinking the factory chrome plates the diameter of the piston for corrosion resistance and not wear resistance. If the front rusts a little scrap it off... If the diameter is rusty, well...

Just to let you guys know in 2 week we will have a stainless piston for sale. It has a shallow (to minimize increase in chamber volume) dished ring. This slightly reduces gas loss. It is in no way to be considered a reliability increaser or a stay clean piston... It is a compliance part replacment with a slight improvement. Did anyone ever notice the operating rod (piston on a rifle) is flat on the saiga-12 and the rifles are concave. Anyways, this part is going to retail for $10.

We are about 2 weeks from releasing a different piston that will change the story big time. No longer will people say that their isn't a piston that increases reliability. It even has a fancy pants finish on it. A diamond like finish that is close to has slick as teflon. But it has a temperature rating of 1600 degrees (forget the exact number). This piston will retail for $16. The finish is pretty expensive...

• Like 1

There are much better surfaces for helping to stay clean and the best of them still don't help much at all with the molten plastic. The best there is is a teflon coating but telfon is only good to 600 degrees, really it starts breaking down around 500. We have never raised our gas block temp even close to 500 even from our full auto. But the intermitent gases... We tested 3 different teflon finishes alone... We have tested many, many different coatings and no matter what the piston design (open flowdesign included) none have made much a difference at all. We are still working on the right design but haven't had close to the results we are looking for.

We are also thinking the factory chrome plates the diameter of the piston for corrosion resistance and not wear resistance. If the front rusts a little scrap it off... If the diameter is rusty, well...

Just to let you guys know in 2 week we will have a stainless piston for sale. It has a shallow (to minimize increase in chamber volume) dished ring. This slightly reduces gas loss. It is in no way to be considered a reliability increaser or a stay clean piston... It is a compliance part replacment with a slight improvement. Did anyone ever notice the operating rod (piston on a rifle) is flat on the saiga-12 and the rifles are concave. Anyways, this part is going to retail for $10.

We are about 2 weeks from releasing a different piston that will change the story big time. No longer will people say that their isn't a piston that increases reliability. It even has a fancy pants finish on it. A diamond like finish that is close to has slick as teflon. But it has a temperature rating of 1600 degrees (forget the exact number). This piston will retail for $16. The finish is pretty expensive...

Thanks for your reply! I am a big fan of your products and am excited to here about your up and coming parts. Like I said I love seeing new products for the saigas. +1 I'll for sure be getting one of those.

Titanium Nitride or TiN is used on Motorcycle Front Forks, my bike has them but they are shiny/polished to a mirror-like finish to prevent stiction.

It was a common problem for them to begin flaking off on the 01-02 GSX-R 1000's. I had 2 buddies get their forks replaced way back in the day under warranty.

i had a thought. even if the finish can take 1600 degrees, it doesn't matter when the material under it cant. so i have to ask: is the purpose of the high heat rated finish to simply make the piston perform better and be bothered less under lower heats? to keep it slicker?

^^^ Softer materials are regularly coated with harder ones that can take higher heat. This usually only serves to improve durability of the product regarding wear but often also creates a surface with reduced friction and/or protects against corosion. It's a common manufacturing technique that most don't bother with because it adds to the cost of the final product. Only manufacturers with better offerings go to this much trouble and expense but, more importantly, go to the touble of proper R&D to determine if the coating actually has any "real" benefits. It sounds like MD has done its homework.

What I'd like to know, though, is how does MD's new puck affect wear in the pipe. Mike... any research go into this. BTW, I'll buy some when they're available!!:super:

Edited by Mike1234567

no but i have to wonder: WHATS THE POINT?????? gas pucks dont really have issues with wear, so why would they make this?

I use a TiN coated gas piston in both my M1A rifles. TiN coated are MUCH easier to clean and don't foul nearly at all. I've shot 1500 or so rounds without cleaning my SOCOM. The piston was still dropping free under gravity, and to clean it, all I had to do is tap it lightly and most of the fouling fell right off.. wipe it with a dry cloth and it is immaculate. By contrast, the stock piston would start to bind, slightly, after about 700 rounds and wouldn't drop under gravity without a slight shake to assist.

In a rifle, changing out the gas piston can affect the accuracy (if the fit isn't PERFECT, you can get random gas blow-by that affects timing of the mechanism, and therefore accuracy). I doubt this affect would do much to a shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

its all about the $$$ with KVAR

And I don't understand selling parts that nobody can use: S12 ver 030 fsgb

Expect an order from me as soon as it hits the website!

I would like to try one, but cant justify 12 bucks shipping on a small 20.00 part.

I'm with you. Luckily for me, I had a list of other parts to pick up from K-VAR that made it slightly less painful to pay their shipping fees. I bought my S-12 from them, and shipping was only a few dollars more than the $12 it would cost for just the puck. :eek:

I would like to try one, but cant justify 12 bucks shipping on a small 20.00 part.

I'm with you. Luckily for me, I had a list of other parts to pick up from K-VAR that made it slightly less painful to pay their shipping fees. I bought my S-12 from them, and shipping was only a few dollars more than the $12 it would cost for just the puck. :eek:

This is why you help your buddies all the the same guns as yours, then group buy and split the shipping.

That's why we all use glocks, now shipping costs for glock parts doesn't matter at all! If only I could interest them in a saiga.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything else about this new piston/puck? Has it been released and I just missed it?