Stupid question about USPS Priority packages

So I just sold my upper and the buyer just emailed me and said he sent the money order out today and goofed on the amount, and accidentally shorted me $10.

Not a huge deal. But I had already ordered some Priority Mail packages from the USPS website. I always ship Priority, but being that this guy shorted me, even though I believe it was an honest mistake, I'm going to now ship it Parcel Post to try to recoup some of that $10.

So even though it's going to be in a Priority Mail marked box, can I ship it Parcel Post? I'm assuming "yes", seeing as how I could just cover the whole package in brown packing paper and no one would know it was Priority box.

Stupid question, I know. Just curious.

As long as you don't get caught using the Priority box without shipping it Priority you'll be alright. Everyone used to take Priority mail boxes and flip them inside out just because it was a free box to mail stuff in. But now they print shit on the inside of them. :unsure:

• Like 1

As long as you don't get caught using the Priority box without shipping it Priority you'll be alright. Everyone used to take Priority mail boxes and flip them inside out just because it was a free box to mail stuff in. But now they print shit on the inside of them. :unsure:

OK, so I do have to cover it in brown packing paper, or else it must go Priority?

Since you're going to cover the entire box/package in brown wrapping paper (and thereby the USPS "Priority Mail" markings will be out of sight). . . I don't whatsoever see any issues with your plan.

:up:

I hadn't originally planned on covering it. I was just saying that I assumed since you could just cover it, that the Priority markings didn't matter.

OK, so I do have to cover it in brown packing paper, or else it must go Priority?

Yeah. If it says Priority, it must be shipped via Priority mail. Your local post office might even hassle you if it LOOKS like a Priority mail box that's been covered up. They're pretty anal about people using their free boxes to ship non-priority stuff.

• Like 2

Yeah. If it says Priority, it must be shipped via Priority mail. Your local post office might even hassle you if it LOOKS like a Priority mail box that's been covered up. They're pretty anal about people using their free boxes to ship non-priority stuff.

OK, thanks for the heads up.

Looks like I'll be picking up some brown packing paper when I get some more bubble-wrap to ship this upper.

Yeah the USPS gets grumpy when folks take the free Priority Boxes and use them for non-priority mail....The inside-out trick worked for a long time, but as said above, now the brown-inside has Priority stamped all over it.

Using a black marker to blot-out the priority signs isn't acceptable either. Wrapping paper will work so long as the package is not one that has to be opened for inspection - like going international.

We have found that, depending on the distance to the destination, that Priority Mail is about the same rate as Parcel Post.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be picking up some brown packing paper when I get some more bubble-wrap to ship this upper.

Get a piece of butcher paper at the grocery store or even a trash bag. Anything that will cover it up. I reuse these boxes all the time. Re-use it better then recycling!

• Like 3

Yeah the USPS gets grumpy when folks take the free Priority Boxes and use them for non-priority mail....The inside-out trick worked for a long time, but as said above, now the brown-inside has Priority stamped all over it.

Using a black marker to blot-out the priority signs isn't acceptable either. Wrapping paper will work so long as the package is not one that has to be opened for inspection - like going international.

We have found that, depending on the distance to the destination, that Priority Mail is about the same rate as Parcel Post.

Nope, it's not going international, so I'm good there.

I'll have to wait and see what the shipping cost difference is between the two, for this upper. I never actually paid attention to the Parcel Post prices when I've shipped things, because I always ship Priority. Hopefully it's enough of a difference to at least make some of that $10 back. I emailed the buyer and told him he has two options for him shorting me $10: 1) Get another MO and send the $10, and it will go out Priority like I planned, or 2) Don't send it the $10, and it goes Parcel. His choice.

Like I said, it's not a huge deal, but it's also not my fault he forgot the exact amount when he got to the post office to buy/send the money order. So sending it out by a slower/cheaper means seems fair.

Get a piece of butcher paper at the grocery store or even a trash bag. Anything that will cover it up. I reuse these boxes all the time. Re-use it better then recycling!

I've used cut up paper grocery bags before :lolol: . If I happen to hit the grocery store before the money arrives, I'll do that. Thanks for the reminder.

Just make him send 10 more bucks.....? lol

Check my post above yours. We posted at the same time, lol.

I will have to agree with this & Priority actually comes out cheaper sometimes.

Edited by Norty
  • Like 1

I will have to agree with this & Priority actually comes out cheaper sometimes.

Well damn. I guess I'll have to pay more attention to the other shipping option prices. I was always under the impression that Parcel was quite a bit cheaper than Priority. :unsure:

Now I'm thinking I should have just told him to send the $10 and not given him the option to not send it, and have me ship it Parcel.

Edited by -Shooter-

Tell him you checked, and the post office is being anal, and since you PAID for a Priority mail box you simply need the $10 to cover the PROPER shipping.. being truthful always wins out..

Parcel post is about $1.50 cheaper (sometimes) then Priority.. the days of $3 packages are OUT.. maybe BOUND material package would work out cheaper..

Have him just PPal you the $10.. (If u have an active PP account that is). you will find something on EB or GB that will need PPal..

Al

Edited by YWHIC
  • Like 1

Tell him you checked, and the post office is being anal, and since you PAID for a Priority mail box you simply need the $10 to cover the PROPER shipping.. being truthful always wins out..

Parcel post is about $1.50 cheaper (sometimes) then Priority.. the days of $3 packages are OUT.. maybe BOUND material package would work out cheaper..

Have him just PPal you the $10.. (If u have an active PP account that is). you will find something on EB or GB that will need PPal..

Al

I'm just gonna chalk it up. It seems he joined up to Arfcom just to get in touch with me about my ad, and admitted he's new to buying stuff like this online. He already replied to my "here's your 2 choices" email and said to just send it Parcel. I can't go back on my offer now. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of a $635 item. Hell, I guess I should just be glad he bought it through Arfcom, and not here. Because I lowered the price and included 3 free mags with the upper for this forum only.

But at least now I know that Parcel isn't as cheap as I though, thanks to you guys. I'm not sure why I always thought it was so much cheaper, aside from never having used it.

I would not do this.

If they check it they will return it to you and you will be out the cost of shipping.

Just find a non priority box

• Like 1

a couple thoughts...

Yes, always check the various options, regular & priority - often close to the same price.

Consider that I think Delivery Confirmation is (or was) a tad cheaper if using Priority or other premium services vs. regular.

Of course they don't like folks using their FREE boxes for other uses, so.....

- cover it up securely with a quality weight brown paper and if questioned say "Absolutely Im (RE)using one of your Prioroity boxes - I recycle everything I can"

-and maybe slice down the top corner edges and flaps, then fold over to make it a smaller dimension shaped box.

Harv

• Like 3

So even though it's going to be in a Priority Mail marked box, can I ship it Parcel Post? I'm assuming "yes", seeing as how I could just cover the whole package in brown packing paper and no one would know it was Priority box.

No you can not, even if you turned it inside out it is still marked as priority, you would have to wrap it..... When you say upper are you talking about this? http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62663&st=0&p=599478&fromsearch=1entry599478 If so there is no priority box that this will fit in... USPS has a cylindrical tube that you can ship it in for $3.69....

• Like 1

once you get to a certain weight, it is about the same to mail priority and parcel post. then when you pass that weight, it spreads out in price again. check the usps website with your package weight.

the tube you probably wont get away with, as it is supposed to be that cut rate for rolled documents.

either way, make sure you use some heavy tape on the ends of the box so the gorillas at the post office dont poke the barrel out the end of the box and go ape shit on your package.

• Like 1

There are some pretty large rate differences within the Priority area itself. Using the Flat Rate Box for anything that will fit into it (up to 70 pound weight) is usually a lot cheaper than a "non-flat-rate" Priority Box !! A Heavy Flat Rate Priority package usually beats the same weight PP package....but the non-flat priority rate can get real expensive and a rate comparison for the heavy odd-sized box is worth taking the time to do.

• Like 1

No you can not, even if you turned it inside out it is still marked as priority, you would have to wrap it..... When you say upper are you talking about this? http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=62663&st=0&p=599478&fromsearch=1entry599478 If so there is no priority box that this will fit in... USPS has a cylindrical tube that you can ship it in for $3.69....

Yes, that's the upper, but you're incorrect about no Priority boxes fitting it. You had me worried for a second, thinking my measurements were off when I ordered the boxes, so I just went and put together a box and did a mock-fit. The upper will easily fit and have enough room to be securely wrapped in bubble wrap.

These are the boxes I have:

O-1098S_600x600.jpg