Does a muzzle break really help?

A traditional muzzle brake is used solely to reduce recoil and/or muzzle flip, lessening the whack to the shoulder and allowing a quicker follow up shot. However, depending on your weapon and barrel profile, hanging a hunk of weight out there on the end can dampen the oscillation that occurs when the round leaves the barrel. I found that the AK-74 type brake actually improved mechanical/benched accuracy on my AKs by a tiny, but noticeable amount. And greatly improved speed and accuracy of follow-up shots. But every platform, and even every barrel, can be different enough that you'd put one on a 3 MOA weapon and proceed to shoot shotgun groups with the same ammo afterward. It's not likely. But it can happen.

Be careful as there is always a trade off. In my case I put a 74 muzzle brake on my Saiga .308 & it worked, but the gun now is extremely LOUD to shoot, especially at an indoor range. Did I say LOUD? GARY N4KVE

Supposedly the (very expensive) Battlecomp muzzle brake directs the gases in such a way as to greatly reduce muzzle rise AND avoid walloping everyone to the sides with increased noise and blast. I've seen some raving reviews on the AR-10 and KelTec (RFB) forums, and other places. They also make it for .223 rifles.

Be careful as there is always a trade off. In my case I put a 74 muzzle brake on my Saiga .308 & it worked, but the gun now is extremely LOUD to shoot, especially at an indoor range. Did I say LOUD? GARY N4KVE

+1 on LOUD. I have the 74 style on my 16.5" and she roars! But with the Limbsaver and the muzzlebrake she is a joy to shoot.

I "feel" the trade off is worth it. :rolleyes:

What's walloping?

Nick, I think I shot some video a while back. I'll look around tonight and see if I can find it and upload to YouTube for ya. No promises.

Edited by John in AZ

What's walloping?

I'm not shure how to respond to this but I'll give it a shot. I believe what he is referring to is when some one has a break and is shooting next to you and when they shoot you get hit with concussion blast of gas and it's usualy very loud

• Like 1

I'm not shure how to respond to this but I'll give it a shot. I believe what he is referring to is when some one has a break and is shooting next to you and when they shoot you get hit with concussion blast of gas and it's usualy very loud

Not only that, but let's say you had to use your rifle next to a car or a wall of a house. You yourself will experience the "wallop" in a way that you usually won't at the range while shooting. If the Battlecomp brake can minimize this, that's a big plus.

Woah, that's pretty cool! How does it mount?

Threaded barrel.

What's walloping?

Nick, I think I shot some video a while back. I'll look around tonight and see if I can find it and upload to YouTube for ya. No promises.

Can't find the video of me shooting for. Must have tape over it with a kids b-day or something. I know, I know, where are my priorities, right?

I think my boys and I are going to do some shooting this weekend so I'll try and shoot some decent video. Maybe someone can donate a factory S308 for a side-by-side comparison :lol: