Interest in Wood Monte Carlo buttstock

Wooden "Non-Conversion" Buttstock: Yes or No?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If a wooden monte carlo-style stock were available for a reasonable price, would you consider purchasing one for your Saiga?

What I really want is to keep my Saiga .223 in original (monte carlo-style) configuration, but I'd like a nice wooden buttstock (I'm thinking of coupling it with a matching set of AK-style handguards, which are readily available, obviously). I've seen a few other folks (mostly Californians and Nor'Easters) looking for such a thing, and it seems like they're not being made. I'm talking to a couple of "furniture makers" out there to see if it's possible to get such a thing. I'm guessing that on the manufacturer side, more folks interested would make the manufacturer more interested in actually gearing up to make it.

So now, I ask you: If such a thing were available, would you be interested in one?

You must mean like this one........ http://www.mississip...ock-p-1348.html

Well, yes and no. Like that one in that it's wood and it's a monte carlo. Unlike that one in that I'd like one made in the US (would sure make 922r easier). I'd like one that I can have some control over the finish. I'd like one that I could get matching AK-style handguards. So while I think it's great that that one is available, it doesn't really solve anything for me, personally.

Thanks for the link.

I somewhat understand. Being in NY I needed a wooden thumbhole stock for my converted S12. Couldn't find it so I made my own. You could take that stock and match it with a hand guard form Ironwood.

I'd be interested in some nifty laminated thumbhole stokes... probably black or gray... very neutral colored. I just ordered a "Ruger 10/22 RBT Tundra Lam T-Hole Stock" (search gunbroker) that appears to be very nice. If affordably priced I'd buy several for Saigas.

Tell me about it. The look of those new SKS stocks from Timbersmith is what got me thinking this way in the first place!

FYI: I'm currently talking to a couple of manufacturers about the feasibility of this. We shall see . . . .

For someone with a duplicator it should be a no-brainer. Hand crafting just takes too much time that most people aren't willing to pay for.

ETA: I've considered it.

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • 1 month later...

You must mean like this one........ http://www.mississip...ock-p-1348.html

I have that stock. It's pretty nice quality, and has a way better grip angle than the plastic one.

saigacombat5.jpg

I'd like to see an American made Monte Carlo stock with more of a "pistol grip".

-Kinda like this:

saigawoody2.jpg

.....top it off with a checkered Metal butt plate, and I'd buy one in a second!!!!

:exciting:

For someone with a duplicator it should be a no-brainer. Hand crafting just takes too much time that most people aren't willing to pay for.

ETA: I've considered it.

Yes Indeed.

My perspective changed entirely on this issue after I made my own laminate stock to accommodate my ver. 21's slant-cut receiver. I cracked the original stock slightly and decided to make my own because there are no wood stocks that will fit this rifle without significant modification. The VEPR stock would be the easiest to modify, but there's pretty much no chance of finding one of those for sale.

I bought a 12" x 12" x 3/4" piece of baltic birch laminate (plywood) for about $5. I cut out the shape I wanted and epoxied the 2 pieces together (~$4 tube of epoxy). I only used a couple of hand saws, wood rasps, a drill, and sandpaper for this project. Honestly I think it took me over 20 hours of work to get the thing shaped EXACTLY right and sanded down smooth. It may have been considerably more time than that - a couple/few hours a night for a couple of weeks. I didn't keep track of how much time it actually took, but it took an almost embarassingly long time and was a LOT more work than I thought (but I've never made a stock before). And while I'm pleased with how it turned out, it's nothing fancy.

The moral of the story is that I have a new appreciation for the reasonableness of the price for these things. I'm sure duplicators cost a pretty penny as well, and then the guy still has to make a profit. I would have gladly paid someone for their time in making me a quality piece, but didn't want to deal with the shipping and the hassle (because NO ONE makes aftermarket furniture for a ver. 21). How much is your time worth?

308grous023.jpg

308grous003-2.jpg

• Like 1

That looks good.

I slant cut my receiver, then made a NY legal thumb-hole stock to fit the slant cut receiver. The purpose of the slant cut was to try to keep the "web of the hand above the top of trigger" as has been stated in pending NY legislation. I came arguably close to doing that. The length of pull is perfect and I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Pictures are in my gallery and posted in other places on the forum, so I won't post them again here.

-Kinda like this:

saigawoody2.jpg

.....top it off with a checkered Metal butt plate, and I'd buy one in a second!!!!

That looks like BattleRifleG3's stuff. Does anyone know if he's still making furniture?

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/59468-battlerifleg3-still-in-business/page__p__628334#entry628334

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

It looks like somebody bump this thread already, if I am correct, it seems that happened October 2013. If so, I am also interested in finding this Monte Carlo type wood stock and hand rail made and would for a to be purchased 7.62×39 Saiga, or a 7.62×39 Saiga with this furniture already on.