I just ordered a Saiga 12S EXP-01-030 in the USA ! ! !

I just ordered a Saiga 12S EXP-01-030 ! ! ! In the USA ! ! !

I thought I would share some GREAT news! I just placed my order for my very own Saiga 12S EXP-01-030 from Brian at RedDragunWeapons after stumbling across his thread at the akforum. I have been waiting YEARS for this opportunity and I am extremely excited about this opportunity. It does not come with the pistol grip, but it does come with a thumbhole stock. Which is going to be restored to original configuration once in my hands.

Some info I learned after talking to Brian about my order:

- This version of the Saiga 12 is affected by the recent ATF ruling on shotguns. Since the ruling has come out, Brian had a sit down with the ATF to discuss this version of the S12. They state he will be allowed to bring in the 200 that are on the import application because it was approved before the ruling came out, but no more.

- The non-sporting feature the ATF has the problem with is the picatinny rail under the front gas block. I guess a flashlight or laser are not used for sporting purposes?

- Any future Saiga’s imported will have the standard Saiga 12 front gas block with the manual gas adjustment knob.

- They have not been shipped from Russia yet, and it might take a while. But I DON’T CARE!

- CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS: At this time you'll need to use a
to reconfigure/disassemble/mag-lock the shotgun for shipping into you California Saiga12 friendly FFL.

- THIS IS OUR ONLY REAL OPPORTUNITY TO HAVE A SAIGA 12S EXP-01-030.

More info can be found on RedDragunWeapons website and the AKforum.

DSC04616.jpg

You can use it just as it comes. Or for those like me who want as close to the Russian Saiga 12S EXP-01-030, these are the additional parts that will be needed to finish the project. Other places might sell these items, but this is where I found them.

-Saiga-12-030 Flash Hider (RusMilitary)

-Saiga-12-030 pistol grip W/ bottom plug (RusMilitary)

-Saiga-12-030 recoil pad, pusher & 2 screws (RusMilitary)

-US Made Polymer Side Folder kit (DSAarms) , (RusMilitary), or (K-Var)

-Saiga-12 buttstock retaining kit (RusMilitary), (AKBuilder) or

-Trigger guard and new trigger set. (Carolina Shooters Supply), (AKBuilder) or

These parts are hard to come by, so get what you can when you can and start building when you have collected everything for the project.

0_value_12190_188.jpg

If you do not know what the EXP-01-030 is…. It is the version of the S12 the Russian Specnaz use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmzwSsncos0

Edited by lokmeup
  • Like 2
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It just seems a bit ridiculous that he can't make a note on his website or on the forum that he'll be away for a week and not answering emails/calls, especially since he's collected at least $63,000 o

I just got an email update the other day and things are definitely progressing. Impatient sarcastic smartasses will be eating their words before too much longer apparently. Aside from waiting on th

I just ordered a Saiga 12S EXP-01-030 ! ! ! In the USA ! ! !   I thought I would share some GREAT news! I just placed my order for my very own Saiga 12S EXP-01-030 from Brian at RedDragunWeapons a

Posted Images

Excellent write up Lok!

From what Brian has said about the gas system it is tuned for low brass but automatically bleeds excess pressure from high brass, making it a self regulating gas system. In his evaluation it apparently works extremely well with both types of ammo. IMO it appears to be using the automatic gas system of the Vepr12 but I'll know for sure when mine comes in.

This has been the S12 I've been after since I got into them a long time ago and I'm thrilled RedDragun is able to get them imported. To say I'm excited is an understatement of epic proportions.

:super:

Z

Those that ordered one. Was payment required in full to place order or just a CC# taken to be billed when the guns actually ship?

My concern here is if the CC is charged the clock on your being able to dispute the charge, in the event you never receive the thing, starts ticking. After timer ticks down to zero, it starts at 60 days I think, you are left holding the bag if you never get the gun. Please note, I am not suggesting RDW is out to bilk anyone but sometimes these deals just don't go as planned.

Thanks

They only required 50% deposit. I don't know about CC purchase... but at least you get 60-90 more time to dispute your purchase than if you pay by check. If you're concerned, you could always just dispute the charge if it gets too close to the dispute cut off date and cancel the dispute once your 030 has shipped. Should be win-win.

Edited by lokmeup
  • 2 weeks later...

They only required 50% deposit. I don't know about CC purchase... but at least you get 60-90 more time to dispute your purchase than if you pay by check. If you're concerned, you could always just dispute the charge if it gets too close to the dispute cut off date and cancel the dispute once your 030 has shipped. Should be win-win.

a 50% deposit on a gun that has yet to make it through customs combined with the potential aftermath of the atf study, seems more than a bit risky to me. A 10%-15% deposit seems more reasonable to me.

a 50% deposit on a gun that has yet to make it through customs combined with the potential aftermath of the atf study, seems more than a bit risky to me. A 10%-15% deposit seems more reasonable to me.

Red Dragun has already had a sit-down with the ATF and have been assured that this shipment of 200 030's will not be affected by their study. However, because of the front rail on the underside of the gas block this "exact" version will not be acceptable for future import. As far as the deposit is concerned, it's typical.

I'm #52.

Red Dragun has already had a sit-down with the ATF and have been assured that this shipment of 200 030's will not be affected by their study. However, because of the front rail on the underside of the gas block this "exact" version will not be acceptable for future import. As far as the deposit is concerned, it's typical.

I'm #52.

If its trapped in customs when the ban hits, they won't come out of customs until neutered. That is exactly what happened in the 1989 import ban. Moreover it may not even be possible to import them at all depending on the attorney general's ruling. Moreover the ATF probably should not be making any claims regarding about what they will and will not allow to be imported in the future until after the comment period has ended on the shotgun study; to do otherwise would indicate that comment period serves no purpose.

• Like 1

Maybe the sky will fall Henny Penny. Then what will we do?

Why don't you give the guys over at Red Dragun a call? Ask for Brian. He seems like a real nice guy. He can enlighten you with the FACTS so can can quit speculating.

• Like 1

So since the Russian magwell mags are so hard to come by, is it possible to reversibly remove the installed Russian magwell and replace with a JT Engineering magwell and use with US-made mags?

You can still use US made mags...they just won't activate the LRBHO.

Maybe the sky will fall Henny Penny. Then what will we do?

Why don't you give the guys over at Red Dragun a call? Ask for Brian. He seems like a real nice guy. He can enlighten you with the FACTS so can can quit speculating.

if you want FACTS look up the case law as to what happened to firearms trapped in customs last time there was an import ban.

So since the Russian magwell mags are so hard to come by, is it possible to reversibly remove the installed Russian magwell and replace with a JT Engineering magwell and use with US-made mags?

You can still use US made mags...they just won't activate the LRBHO.

I asked this because Tony Rumore said that modified US mags tend to fall right out of Russian magwells when using heavy loads. So I'd rather change out the magwell and have a reliable gun. Of course, if the Russian magwell mags ever became available over here, I'd have no problems! So does anyone know if it's possible to swap magwells without permanently changing the gun? These versions will be collector's pieces even as shooters.

I don't think you're gonna get a US magwell to fit the 030. From the photos I've seen, there is too much material removed from the receiver for a US magwell to work.

If that's true, then we're stuck with one five-round mag and whatever other mags we can find at over $100 a pop. I wonder if this version becomes available in the US (without the offending bottom rail) if someone here will start making mags to fit, or if more will be imported.

If that's true, then we're stuck with one five-round mag and whatever other mags we can find at over $100 a pop. I wonder if this version becomes available in the US (without the offending bottom rail) if someone here will start making mags to fit, or if more will be imported.

You're thinking too hard about this... If you want to run any American mag, then just remove the magwell and slightly modify the bottom of the receiver. This has already been discussed in the other thread.