Factory sling attachment re-used for single point sling

Personally I would use something a little beefier considering the weight of a S12 with a full 10rd mag or 20rd drum. A slightly oversized drywall screw holding a piece of 16ga wire does not inspire my confidence.

Zombie's idea might be a little better due to the 2 screw attachment but I am still not sold on the idea.

Edited by Chowderhead72

Personally I would use something a little beefier considering the weight of a S12 with a full 10rd mag or 20rd drum. A slightly oversized drywall screw holding a piece of 16ga wire does not inspire my confidence.

What would you recommend for attachment hardware? Do you think drilling and tapping for a second attachment point (for the solid steel loop above) would compromise the integrity of the rear tang?

Thanx for the help

Theyre both my ideas btw :angel:

Edited by ZombieGun

Just a note: drywall screws have no tensile strength and snap easily. They should only be used for drywall. Sorry for getting off topic.

Its not a drywall screw, its a steel sheetmetal screw, but i see your point. I was just mocking it up to see if it would work. :angel:

Thanx for the input

SWEET! I'd been considering that very area for a single point sling attachment point but havdn't gotten around to it yet (the Saiga is like my house; tons of projects, none of them done yet!). Please please please do keep us updated on your progress and how well it works for you. When I was checking for a balance point with my smaller factory 5 mags the gun seemed to hang straight up and down when balanced near the rear of the receiver like you have it. My only concerns are:

1) When switching from strong side to weak side, how does the sling hang? Does it get in the way/bind at all? (AR's aren't really comparable as their attachment point tends to be on the bottom side of the receiver/stock).

2) I like the convertible slings but wonder how the rifle will hang when in two point mode and how much does the secondary attachment point affect the hang as well (thinking about doing something like an ultimak/cobra/Gogun gas tube rail with an RSA or similar, or a sling swivel mounted low on the handguard).

So yeah, PLEASE let us know how that works out (and FWIW I am not sure how much you need to worry about the screw for the mount. Look at all the rail mounts and the size of those screws. The stock sling mount screws are nothing special either. Why, all of a sudden is the gun unsafe if you move the mount location. With as much plastic there is at that point of the stock I'd venture to say that it's safer than the hollow portion of the buttstock).

Rob

PS. have you thought of drilling the top of the stock (same location) and epoxying a swivel cup in there?

Edited by whoizrob

Well as of now its just an idea, i wouldnt use it that way, its just mocked to see if it would work. I was surprised how the old loop just slipped right in that cavity above the rear tang.

i dont use a sling when i shoot my s12 at the range so im not really too stressed about even doing it. if i did it would be with a solid piece, mounted securely. I.would like to see just a small loop there. I might make one.

Dont use epoxy on a gun, bud. When referring to epoxy on a saiga...

A wise man once wrote.....

"You can do better, you deserve better" :angel:

But if i end up fabricating something i'll definately post pics.

Thanx for your interest.

Re: Epoxy...

Not sure why the Saiga community is so against it. I mean I totally agree if you are talking about kludging something up where you take a gob of JB weld putty and goober stuff onto your gun. But if done properly the epoxy can perform quite well. Shoot some metal aircraft members are epoxied together and if that is not a mission critical application I don't know what is! Epoxies sheer strength is HUGE. For reference, if you look up how to install QD style swivel cups there are two common methods: drill and tap a recess (for the threaded variety), or drill and epoxy (for the flush style cups). Both of which are acceptable and quite secure.... Just saying ;) It's not a Ferrari, it's a combat shotgun and function comes first!

Rob

Thats where YOU put YOUR cheek?! Yikes! Might not be a good option for you then :unsure:

Are you serious? How do you achieve cheek weld?

Not with my cheek on top of where you see the loop in my pic, with my nose pressing against the back of the dust cover!

Yes, im serious. If i thought my cheek would hit that loop during recoil i wouldnt have thought of putting the loop there. Ive put 1300 rounds thru that gun so far and i dont think it would be an issue.

Dont get me wrong, my face is close to it, but not on top of it :rolleyes:

I understand what you're sayin', but i shot 300 rounds thru it today mocked up the way it is now and my cheek is fine.

I HEAR BY SWEAR, ON MY S12...IF I CUT MY CHEEK ON THE SLING LOOP I WILL POST PICS OF SAID BLOODY CHEEK. YOU HAVE MY WORD. :angel: